Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1932 Ford grill shells

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SMILIES, Apr 27, 2017.

1. SMILIES

SMILIES

Can anyone tell me how to "instantly" identify a original 1932 grill shell from a old rusty aftermarket? IMG_6371.JPG

I thought I knew a way by looking at this top part in the picture attached, but I've been told so much crap now I'm not even sure. Thanks for any help post pictures if you can.

2. Original shells had a hole for the radiator cap,look inside and see if they have been filled. HRP

Poh likes this.
  3. A few more different photos would help. HRP

4. Also try posting on fordbarn.com. There are several guys over there that are really sharp.

Charlie Stephens

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

6. Don't sell yourself short Charlie,your pretty sharp on this stuff. HRP

7. mike bowling

mike bowling

Someone should weigh an original- I'd bet the re-pops aren't any where near as heavy.

8. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Aside from the obvious, radiator fill hole, horn and headlight conduit holes there are several other giveaways. Look for 2 holes for the front hood hinge mount, crank hole and two squarish holes on the front apron. Also 3 oblong holes on each side at the bottom front for the hood lacing clip. Also on each side, adjacent to the middle oblong lacing hole there is an indentation with a 3/16" hole. I guess if you really want to fake one you could but if you know what you are looking for its fairly easy.