Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1932 Ford gas cap that doesn't leak

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hamtown Al, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I saw this gas cap advertised on Yogi's (www.yogisinc.com I think) and I ordered one because it was advertised as non-splash. Search for gas cap vented. IMG_3568.JPG
    My cap was part TC-32PV and was vented and cost $15.
    Bad news was they charged me over $11 for shipping... they decided to send me a catalog I did NOT request which required a much bigger box.
    Great news is I road tested it this evening and it worked great... no spilled gas and it was spilling gas before. Had over half a tank which was more than enough to spill gas before.
    Just thought I'd pass this along.
    Al
    PS No picture of the gas cap but looks like regular SS cap.

2. brady1929

brady1929

Thanks for the info.

3. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Just got back from breakfast and the outside of the tank is dry... happy day!:)
    You can see evidence of leaking in the past but it is staying dry now.
    I'm going to try to polish the tank to remove the old stain marks.
    IMG_3660.JPG
    IMG_3661.JPG
    I'll report back later.:)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

The polishing works!
    IMG_3663.JPG
    Still got some work to do on the neck and at the bottom of the tank but I think it cleaned up pretty well.
    I also lowered the idle on the carburetor. Car is running pretty good but still requires a bit of choke to run smoothly. Opportunities!

5. My original cap started leaking when I filled the tank and I fixed the problem simply by cutting a new gasket from a sheet of cork gasket. HRP

Hamtown Al and 302GMC like this.
  6. Lil32

Lil32

I use an early VW fuel cap on my 32
    trying to find photo

Hamtown Al likes this.
  7. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Looks like a Tanks Inc normal gas tank cap that come on mine. Also bought my tank at Yogis.Still has the plastic on it in the pics.
    SPark

Tank1.jpg Taillight4.png

Hamtown Al likes this.
  8. Bursonaw

Bursonaw

Just ordered a cap to try on my car. Thanks for the post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hamtown Al likes this.
  9. verde742

verde742

along the same (sorta ) info, I wish the manufactures of the "32 tank would offer a filler neck on pass side, (new product ? ) Henry made license plate interfere with gas filling. And I just cannot get used to seeing license plate mounted on pass side. Its just WRONG !!!

10. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Doesn't Yogi's own Tanks nowadays?

11. FYI guys-- Lost a cap off 1 of my 32's a few weeks ago (Didn't put back on @ a gas stop) Went to O'Riellys and Stant # 10625 works and looks just like the 1 ya get with a new tank when ya buy from Tanks (Yogi's) $ 7.10 so I bought 3 of em.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  12. Yes

Phil

13. I always keep a spare cap in my trunk just in case I lose one.

pprather and Hamtown Al like this.
  14. Lil32

Lil32

Vintage VW cap with can attached
    can stops petrol splashing up neck of tank filler
    $3

IMG_1057.JPG

Hamtown Al likes this.
  15. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I’m pretty sure O’Reillys could have got you one.

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

This one has never leaked a drop but then again its never had a drop in it.:rolleyes:
    Denny's-garage_grey3.jpg

lothiandon1940 and Hamtown Al like this.
  17. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^^ Thanks for the potential Oreillys source including the part number.
    I'll get one for comparison and report back.:)
    It will tickle me, and I suspect all of y'all, if it is a match.:D

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. nutter_street_rodder

nutter_street_rodder
    from Nevis MN

Does the red lettering come off? And does it leak fuel on corners?

19. It's just a peel off sticker, and NO it doesn't leak

20. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_3664.JPG
    IMG_3665.JPG
    IMG_3667.JPG
    The Oreilly cap measures one and 27/64th across; or very near that!;)
    The Tanks cap measures one and 26/64th across; or very near that!:D
    Because the ruler was elevated by the plastic cone in the center I could not get a similar picture of the measurement.:eek:
    IMG_3672.JPG
    I didn't have much better luck trying to get a picture of the measurement of the tank filler tube opening due somewhat to the lighting and my poor skills with a camera:(.
    After a fair amount of tweaking on the Oreilly cap; I still couldn't get it to go in the filler tube.
    IMG_3673.JPG
    Then I spent a lot more time tweaking the edges of the Oreilly cap and finally got it to go into the tube but it would only turn a very little amount so I'm not sure how tight the seal might be. I only kept at it so that I would have a ready to go spare in the car if I should lose the Tanks cap. I believe some more work on the Oreilly cap would likely get it to serve as a pretty good backup.
    The Oreilly part was $7.99 and Tara, the Oreillys manager, told me to bring it back if I didn't really need it. She was interested in just how their cap would measure up to the specialty unit, too.
    Bottom line is the Oreilly cap is much easier to get and cheaper, too. My original gas tank might have just been hard to fit with the Orielly cap, and the Tanks cap, too for that matter because it is the original gas tank put on by Henry many years ago! When you think of all the times that cap has been removed to fill the tank since 1932 and the many folks that have done it at all levels of sobriety; it likely is in very good shape to have suffered all that use and occasional abuse. That every cap doesn't fit just right is probably a small price to pay.
    Thanks to all that have contributed and I hope this helps others.
    I learned a lot along the way and am tickled almost pink that my gas tank cap leaks no more.:):D
    Happy Al

21. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Now this is interesting. I found more fodder for experimenting...amazon and NAPA both coughed up a few caps alleged to fit '32 and '47 (same flange) Ford. Some resemble original, some are black plastic crap no one would put on a rod, some were locking (GREAT! several extra leaks!), and some seemed to have one of those spring loaded vents invented in the 1970's...easy to solder up since a '32 doesn't vent up there anyway. Maybe one of these will prove somehow easier, and they are cheap enough to experiment with.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  22. The 10265 goes right on both my "Tanks" with no problem, Guess the Henry's are a little different.

town sedan and Hamtown Al like this.
  23. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^Maybe my cabriolet got the narrow filler tube downgrade!!:D:D
    It might well have gotten a bit out of shape by someone prying a locking gas cap off.:eek:
    BTW, da34guy, I'm pretty sure you meant the 10625; not 265:eek:
    Thanks to testing by da34guy we know there is a "local" solution in getting a good cap... and maybe a spare as has been suggested.;)
    On our trip to LARS 2016 one of our gang thought he'd lost his cap and was beginning to worry when a pal spotted it. I put the spare in my car after 383deuce shared that strategy.;) Thanks.
    It is little things that give just a bit more comfort to travelling... like the Jack Pack that has sets of wheel bearings already packed in grease in a plastic container in the trunk.:) Having the parts is most of the battle when confronting an on the road "opportunity.";)

da34guy likes this.
  24. I always have a set of front and rear bearings and seals ready to go on the long hauls also Al.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  25. Bursonaw

Bursonaw

My new Tanks cap from Yogi’s arrived today and I installed it in seconds nice and tight. The smell of gas fumes in the garage has gone away.

Thanks for the post!

Hamtown Al likes this.
  26. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^^That is great news!!
    Congratulations!
    Tell somebody else about it.
    All the best,
    Al

27. town sedan

town sedan

To the top. Picked up the Stant 10625 Friday and tried it on the Vintique '32 Ford fuel tank I've got for my roadster project.

Fit was snug, but went on and off a few times without a problem. I'll report on spillage in a year or so when I get fuel in the tank.

Thanks for the word!
    -Dave

Hamtown Al likes this.
  28. Bursonaw

Bursonaw

Just tested my Tanks cap from Yogi’s tonight. Topped my roadster off with gas as full as I could. I then drove the car up some steep hills. The pressure vent on the new cap works like a champ. No leaks and no more fuel smell in the garage. Thanks again for this post, it was a great tip!

Regards

town sedan and Hamtown Al like this.
  29. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^^That is outstanding news! A big "THANK YOU!" for taking time to fully test the new cap.
    I'm hoping someone will do the same test with the Stant cap.
    Anybody?
    Thanks,
    Al

town sedan likes this.