Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1932 Ford Front Fenders - Body to Fender Welt - 'Rivets'

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bored&Stroked, Dec 11, 2016.

1. When I found my 32 Cabriolet, the fenders were up in the rafters - so I never saw the details of them on the car. The fender welting between the lower fender and the body (next to the running board) is about 14" long per side. There was none left on the fenders when they came down from the rafters. I've never owned or assembled an original 32 - so it is all new to me.

Bolt Holes are Just One Part of It: Well, I bought some new fender welting, punched the holes where the bolts go and was wondering what the heck holds it alignment to the fender in the last 4 - 5" inches (right before the running board).

Welting Thing-A-Ma-Jiggie Rivets: There is no bolt in the rear area (next to the running board) - the closest one is 4 - 5" away. Upon close inspection, found there are three little steel thing-a-ma-jiggies - half rivet and half cotter pin. They were still in the fenders, so I pinched the "ears" back together, pulled them out and added the small holes in the welting for them. Put them back in and bent the ears flat once more. Makes total sense in that this allowed the welting to be put on the fenders BEFORE assembly - and it would hold. Also, it keeps the rear of the welting in place once the fender is mounted. It would not surprise me that these would be long gone on most original 32 fenders - I wouldn't have ever known if I hadn't seen the little round head on the inside of the fender flanges.

That is one of the cool things about working on a very complete and unmolested car - you learn all sorts of things you didn't know.

Hmmmm - wonder if the repop fenders have these three little holes for the welting "rivets"??? Anybody know?

2016-12-10 12.47.55-1.jpg 2016-12-10 12.47.48.jpg

2. slv63

slv63

Don't know about your question but those look like the same rivet things that hold the welting on 28/29 lower cowls and radiator shells if you ever need more

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

Go buy this book. Over 600 pages and 900 photos. PERIOD.
    Available thru the early ford v8 club website. One on ebay now also.
    Three pages on this welting alone (part number B-16071)
    Finish on the Flat head split rivet I believe was S4 raven black DSCN2550.JPG DSCN2552.JPG

4. Wow so much to learn everyday. The hamb is the best.

5. I have that book - but a dang friend of mine borrowed it . . . and I desperately need to get it back! David G. is THE man on this stuff!

D

6. Building a deuce ya need to get this book...it rocks with information..