Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1932 Ford frame and front suspension questions

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by haring, Dec 29, 2014.

1. haring

haring

I'll be using repop ASC rails, original '32 front crossmember and original '32 k-member. I'm getting myself confused, but if I want to use the typical traditional hot rod set-up of spring-over-axle (instead of original '32 spring-in-front-of-axle), and stock frame dimensions, what uncut wishbone should I be using? Won't the original wishbone put the axle behind the crossmember?

If I need a '32 wishbone, can I make one? I have the front suspension out of an old hot rod. It has split bones (39" weld-to-weld) made from a '32 wishbone. I'd like to use an UNsplit wishbone, and am wondering if I can make one using these bones and the yoke/ball from someone else's cut bone. Ford welded these, so I (or someone better than me) should be able to as well, right?

2. metal man

metal man

Ford didn't go to a spring in front design until '35 . You want a '32 wishbone, and either a '32 axle or a '33- '36 axle and it will work perfectly with the '32 K member.

And yes, a QUALIFIED welder can put the split wishbone back together assuming you have enough of it to reach the K member.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    haring likes this.
  3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Hey Don...original 32 setup WAS spring over axle. Just get an original axle and yes, you can make your own wishbone.

kidcampbell71 and haring like this.
  4. haring

haring

Well, I feel dumb. Not sure why I was thinking the '32 used the spring in front. I've been away too long!

Thanks, fellows!

I have two '32 axles here, one is dropped, will probably use that one. I have a '34 wishbone, and was measuring things to figure out my plan. Seems I need the '32 wishbone to make it work the way I want (mostly stock).

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. alchemy

alchemy

You can machine up extensions and turn your 34 wishbone into a 32. The 34 was a couple inches shorter, but that's the only difference. Make the cuts at the rear welds, turn up a pair of nice round tubes with male and female ends that can fit between the stock yoke and the tube, and weld em in. The leverage is less at the rear of the wishbone, so if the weld is good, the thing should hold.

haring likes this.
  6. deuceman32

deuceman32

Like alchemy said, the only difference between a 32 wishbone and a 33-34 wishbone is the length of the side tubes, which measure 39 inches weld to weld on a deuce and around 37 inches on a 33-34 wishbone. You say that you have split bones that measure 39 inches weld to weld, so check and see if the axle yokes on those are identical to those on your 34 bone. If so, you have 32 sides.

7. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

The 32 axles are starting to get expensive, if you already have two your in great shape!

8. haring

haring

I have a lot of Ford parts. Just need to figure out the right combination!

Thanks for the info about wishbones. I didn't realize the 34 was basically the same as the 32, just two inches longer.

9. saucerhead

saucerhead

Unless you like your cars sitting high, why not use a model A front x-member?

10. haring

haring

You answered the question ... I like 40s and pre-war cars that stand up, like the Edelbrock or Orr cars.

Carter likes this.
  11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

X2 on the model A crossmember, I think you would be better off going the model A route. My dad is building a 28 roadster on a pinched 32 frame A cross members front and rear, narrowed k member, 32 axle(undropped) and bones. He is building a car that would have been built in the late 40s very early 50s. The car has rake but to me it sits just a bit high even with the A front cross member. It has a look of an early hotrod thats for sure.

12. haring

haring

13. andyg

andyg

I dig that look too!