Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1932 Ford Boattail Speedster

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rikster, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Rikster

Rikster

I came across two photo's of this car on www.huffreport.com and thought I share it with you guys. I dont know anything about it If its an coachbuilt job from the 30's restored recenlty or a recent built? I only know that I really like it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the photo where taken at the PETIT JEAN MOUNTAIN this year's big MOTAA show in Arkansas.

1biggeorge and volvobrynk like this.
  2. KutThrtKustms

KutThrtKustms
    BANNED
    from SO.CAL.

Daddy Likey...Likey Alot!!

3. Splinter

Splinter

Looks like the poor man's Packard of the day-
    "Ask the man who owns one!" (Packard marketing of the thirties....Why do I know that?)

4. looks like a '41 ford front end bolted on backwards. If that is the case, it couldn't be a coachbuild, or built in the '30s.

Still cool though!

5. Rikster

Rikster

Nah not a 41 Ford... if it uses a hood it woul dhave been a mid to late 30's hood... Still looks coachbuilt to me.

Speaking of boattails. I just remembered I took some photo's of a 1931 Ford boattail roadster in a museum here in The Netherlands. Not as nice as the 32... but still neat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1biggeorge likes this.
  6. Dude... Not a 41? C'MON!

Attached Files:

7. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I'd say a '40-'41 Ford pickup hood -- notice the raised bead on the side in lieu of stainless trim.

8. Rikster

Rikster

hmmmmm still dont know. perhaps a hood was used, perhaps it was a 41 Ford hood, perhaps a 40-41 Pick-up hood. The bead on the 40-41 pu hood looks like it could be used but the nose on the pick up looks to be much rounder than on this one. The 41 Ford hood comes closer.
    I have searched on the internet, but could not find anything about this car.
    I hope somebody can tell us more about it.

9. Dougan

Dougan

I don't have any pictures to post of it, but Edsel Ford had a boattail 32 built for him at the factory. There are pictures of it in a couple of Ford books. The car was built as a styling exercise by Edsel and the designers. It has been said the ol' Henry thought it was frivolous and was mad about the whole project.

10. Rikster

Rikster

The 1932 Boat-tail speedster was built by Edsel with the help of stylist-designer E.T. Gregorie.
    I dont have a photo of it but here are two drawings of it made by Harry Bradley, and a model based on it made by a friend of mine. The model body is a bit to hight. He was planning on sectioning it to get it more in balance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1biggeorge likes this.
  11. It's ugly.

12. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

hey if you put in reverse and go into the water the fan will work as an propepper , seriously though

it kinda reminds me of an 1940 deluxe hood but doesnt seem to be one..
    seems to be a hood atleast.. pretty nice..

13. SnoDawg

SnoDawg

Hmm channel it and remove the fenders...

Dawg

14. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

My guess is that it is a Gibbons phantom glass RPU with a 40 Willys glass hood. (too pointy to be a Ford) With the paint schene and the boat tail, I think it was meant to mimic the Model J Deusenberg. There is no flow to the body that a coach builder would have. Unique idea that's fun to look at.

15. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

would have to agree. it's kinda hard to tell with the black paint kinda blending and losing detail but it does look like it could be a 40 willy's nose, that would give the smooth front (err back :confused:) as well. I've thought of doing this same thing before with a 27 rpu body and two hoods clamshelled one on top of the other for the back to a lakes car with the axles coming out the sides.

16. evltwin

evltwin
    from Milford MI

Edsels Hot rod is awesome. There is a great article about it in Automobile Magazine June 2000.

Here are two pictures from the article.

Attached Files:

1biggeorge likes this.
  17. flynstone

flynstone

i think tommy is right it looks like a hood its cool but doesent flow like the ones the coach builders did......................

18. I've never seen what the deal was with boattails, I can't get into any of them....:rolleyes:

19. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

It looks like a new build to me. Can't really explain why - that's just the vibe I get.

Taking mostly stock sheet metal and adding a boat tail doesn't do much for me.

20. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

I think you might have nailed it....

21. tjm73

tjm73

Looks kinda like my father's Auburn Boattail Speedster. Even the same colors.

22. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

There is an older gentleman here in town who has a "stock" Model A with a boat tail built from two KB International hoods trimmed and welded tobether. Looks great. Someday if i get back by I'll try to remember my camera.

23. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

This one is much better executed, IMO:

[​IMG]

-Dave

1biggeorge likes this.
  24. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

New build. Brookville or fiberglass pseudo roadster pickup body, Chinese attempt at 25 louver hood, tail/hood spliced on with no attempt to flow body into the boat boot...the whole look of a non stock finished rear panel with spliced on hood tin is just lame, and despite the use of '30's and '40's parts looks more 1920's than anything because of the lack of flow. It might be really neat if they tossed that hood, whatever it is, and built a new boattail with the sides flowing smoothly to the doors and to starting off the rear of the cockpit.
    and the guy that produced the molds for the model Edselcar should be flogged! Looks like upper and lower moldings were made on separate continents with no communication. Fenders look to be about a scale foot down from where they are on the real car!

25. alsancle

alsancle

Does not look coachbuilt to me. I kinda agree with the notion of a hood turned backwards. The coachbuilt cars of the 30s have very flowing lines as a general rule.

26. spooler41

spooler41

Looks like some one started with a 32 RPU body and built/grafted a early 40's hood for a boattail.

Jack

27. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

No......fucking ugly.....:D