Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 ford a body on 1930 frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PAT454SS, Aug 26, 2013.

2. Squablow

Squablow

I personally say keep the frame and get a Model A coupe body instead. You can get a workable A coupe body for the same price as a good quality fiberglass 32, plus it'll be real and it'll fit your frame.

I'd rather have real everything instead of a fiberglass body on repop rails.

3. I agree. Keep the A frame and get an A body instead.

4. Well you'd only need to channel it 3-4 inches instead of 6 inches.
    Those couple extra 2-3 inches take away some valuable headroom.

5. Well, the guy ask a honest question and I guess since you have the same minds set as the OP everybody else is wrong for offering their opinion?

BTW,This was the first post from the guy so we don't know anything about his skills or ability.

I am of the opinion if he has a Model A frame why buy a glass deuce body,get a Model A body and build it right.HRP

6. cayager

cayager

thats because they are worth next to nothing!

7. visor

visor
    Member Emeritus
    from Missouri

You have a good start here. Don't sell that Model A frame. Remove the rear
    Crossmember and the front crossmember .
    Now buy some repro 32 rails and build you a nice frame for that 32 body.
    Do some research on here and you will find lots of info on how to build that
    frame.

8. The Hot Rod world has been a Mix-n-Make work since the first one was built. I've been hunting for the Rule Book for over 60 years. Nobody has been able to produce on yet. If you have a vision and some parts get on with it. Your the only one you need to make happy. No explanation necessary. First guy to tell you it's wrong ask them to show you the car they hand built.
    The Wizzard

9. I agree pist-n-broke but that's why I'm an OP

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Its been done and it made Hot Rod magazine in 1964 fiberglass 32 on an A frame. The red version was later on.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 19, 20 2014

Attached Files:

11. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Someone also thought that these adaptations would be killer. Some ideas are just bad ideas.

Attached Files:

12. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

Just put that glass 32 on a S-10 chassis , yea that's the ticket. LOL

13. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

First off, a good friend of mine has a glass 32 3 window body on an A frame he modified. His is full fendered, and it looks good. If you do the modifications your self it's really not that expensive. It will be your ride and no one else's opinion matters. A high boy open wheeled deuce would look bad on an A frame, how ever if you channeled it or ran it full fendered you could hide it better.

14. I will reserve opinion until
    i see this. HRP

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  15. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

HRP I know you are deuce fanatic so I'll post a pic for you. I'd like to hear your opinion any day. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377625016.743995.jpg

16. chopped

chopped

Is it April 1st. somewhere?

17. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Well, since rear of body will be unsupported almost no matter what (fabricated solution to that would be way too complex to justify not just getting '32 frame), there is an easy way to stretch:
    Use v8 Ford spring hangers (or V8 rear with reversed housings) to put hangers in front of rear axle...then just use A spring. This will make wheelbase slightly longer than '32, no problem at all for a channeled car, easy to move front crossmember back a tad if you want stock wheelbase. Still pretty shaky, minimalist frame.
    Since you don't even have the body yet an A body would make things a lot cleaner and easier...

18. Yes,I make no bones about the fact that I am a Deuce nut but I appreciate any car that is built that has some thought of style & function and not built solely for shock value.

The accompanying photo you posted doesn't look bad,actually much better than I expected.

But,,and there has always got to be a but,doesn't there?

The space between the body and running board looks a little strange,,what was used to fill in the area were you would normally see the Deuce frame rail? HRP

19. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Just do it if that's what you want. Not EVERY deuce has to follow a cookbook formula.

20. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

HRP we made fiberglass panels to fill the gap where the rails would show. We actually made the frame from two a frames. We used the front of one to make the back, widened it to the width of a deuce frame. It has independent front suspension. We would have used a deuce chassis if we could have but isn't that what got ridding was about back in the day? Using what was available to you?

21. Squablow

Squablow

This is my point. I don't think the OP has a body yet, he's just got a frame and looking to see if a glass 32 will fit. I'm sure it could be done with a lot of work to make it look right, but in the end I bet he'd be a lot happier if he started with an A coupe body to put on it. And that's why he asked.