Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1932 Ford 5w Refresh Thread - Closed Driveline T5 now!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CTaulbert, Oct 11, 2015.

1. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Beautiful work. I guess "refresh" is the new term for full blown, frame off restoration? LOL!!!

RodNoc likes this.
  2. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Well, I've been plugging away on the car more. I painted the gas tank, frame horn covers, and headlights last weekend. While that was curing for a couple days, I ran new front brake lines and a new fuel line. Everything is stainless with AN fittings, and painted black to blend in with the frame. In the middle of all of that stuff, I made a panel to mount the electrical items (fuse panel, relays, etc) on to the firewall using existing holes. I then made a bracket, also using existing holes, to mount a Harrison heater that I picked up from a friend. Rather than having the water connections run through the firewall, I cut them short and soldered on some pipe thread fittings. I screwed in some -8 90deg fittings to run everything toward the cowl side. I'll run the lines down and out the bottom of the firewall, and also house a water control valve behind the kick panel.
    FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender[1].jpg

I got the rear end back after being assembled by GearheadQCE this weekend, and assembled the driveshaft/torque tube with the wishbones to complete the rear end. I ran new brake lines on the rear end at that point, and also ran the park brake cables (the rear axle has early F100 brakes on it). After all of that (around 1am Saturday night), we placed everything in the frame.

Sunday, with the help of a few people, we sat the body on the frame. I dropped all of the body bolts in, and starting shimming it around to make sure the doors lined up perfect.
    IMG_9784.JPG

Once the body was bolted down, I threw the rear axles in and got this thing back to roller status...
    IMG_1440.JPG IMG_1442.JPG IMG_1448.JPG

3. brady1929

brady1929

4. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

That is a very cool color!

5. brady1929

brady1929

6. zkilla396

zkilla396
    from Peoria, IL

That color is sweeeeeet!!

7. Oldbill51

Oldbill51

I love the color too, any chance you might share the details on the paint?

8. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I've been busy thrashing on the car, so updating this thread fell off the priority list. My main goal is to drive the 5w to Austin for the Round Up. Knowing how things go, I decided to make a stretch goal of making the Detroit Autorama. Doing so gave me a cushion of four weeks, in case anything came up, but also prepared me to get the car ready for the trip.

From my last update, I continued on with assembling chassis parts, and painting the fenders.
    FullSizeRender (3).jpg IMG_9833.JPG IMG_9839.JPG

9. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Mean while, Tony at Ross Racing got working on the '57 engine that was going in the car. While it's mostly stock appearing on the outside, the inside holds some secrets that push the power and displacement.
    FullSizeRender (4).jpg FullSizeRender[1] (2).jpg FullSizeRender[2] (2).jpg FullSizeRender[3] (2).jpg IMG_9956.JPG

I also prepped the Van Pelt built '39 box to go in the car. The rear mount and adapter got assembled, and finished off with chatter rod provision from @hot rod pro.
    IMG_9953.JPG FullSizeRender[2] (3).jpg IMG_9960.JPG

Around the time the trans was buttoned up, I got a video from Tony and the engine was nearly complete....

mgtstumpy, hipster, cactus1 and 6 others like this.
  10. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Ashley and I started on some interior parts. I'm no upholster, but we just wanted to finish off some of the interior in the car. We started with the seat, which I had previously built for the car. Once that was done, we moved onto the door panels. There's still more to do, but that's what we got done so far.
    FullSizeRender (5).jpg FullSizeRender[1] (3).jpg IMG_0001.JPG

Mike finished up the wheels for the car around that time too. I had stressed out on the coating for the wheels, as I wanted something that looked like Dow 7, but be durable given that the car would see road use. A friend turned me to Russ Meeks who had developed a ceramic coating that mimicked Dow 7.
    FullSizeRender[4].jpg IMG_0016.JPG IMG_0015.JPG IMG_0017.JPG IMG_0022.JPG

11. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Finally, everything came together last week as Autorama came quick. The engine arrived the Friday before, along with the freshly chromed garnish moldings from CustomChrome Plating. The wheels arrived Tuesday morning, and Ashley had the tires mounted by the time I got home from work.
    IMG_0018.JPG FullSizeRender (6).jpg IMG_0031.JPG

Wednesday night (really Thursday morning) at 12:30am, I had the car finished as much as it would be for Autorama....
    FullSizeRender[1] (4).jpg FullSizeRender (7).jpg

mgtstumpy, weemark, hipster and 5 others like this.
  12. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

We got the car down to COBO Thursday night, which kicked off an awesome weekend with some great friends.
    IMG_0042.JPG IMG_0054.JPG FullSizeRender (8).jpg

Since the weather was bad the week before Autorama, I didn't get a chance to drive the car more than fore/aft in my garage to confirm the clutch worked. Last night, I took it around the block and was surprised how well the car performed out of the box. It needs some refinements of course, but the starting point is very good....

13. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Damn, that thing sounds and looks good. Beautiful job Mr. T.

hipster and CTaulbert like this.
  14. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Looks and sounds good.

15. DRD57

DRD57

16. brady1929

brady1929

17. Bader2

Bader2

Wow! Nice car.

18. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Just a great HOT ROD! Thanks for the update!

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Wow Cory, that is a knockout, the wheel and body colors(and sheen) really go well together.
    Saw the Autorama photos and wondered what process was used on the wheels.
    Good call on RM! local guy does good(great).
    He'll be doing my headers and exhaust.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  20. scotti32

scotti32

Turned out beautiful

21. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

I saw it in detroit, it looked fantastic. You did a great job on the interior too. I wish you had left the hood open in detroit though, I wanted to see that well detailed engine

22. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm in love. :)

ct1932ford likes this.
  23. I am also in love!:cool: It has it all going and 3 pedals!:cool: What's not to love?:D

hipster likes this.
  24. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

That's schweet, Cory, congrats!!!

25. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Great look, great sound, congrats man!

26. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

27. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I love anything you build.. This coupe is no exception. Those wheels are bitchin'!

28. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Oh! Could you elaborate on the anti-chatter provisions bolted to the transmission? Is it a choice made as a result of the rear trans mount? Is the front of the engine mounted like a stock tri-5 is or Hurst-style?