Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1932 Ford 5w Refresh Thread - Closed Driveline T5 now!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CTaulbert, Oct 11, 2015.

1. This is a great thread. Excellent work, and thanks for sharing.

2. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

Looking good Cory. Can't wait to see it back together.

CTaulbert likes this.
  3. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

As always, very inspiring Corey. Great job. Especially since I'm at the same stage on my project. Nice to know there are others at the same point in their projects.

CTaulbert likes this.
  4. fatboys69

fatboys69
    from Tennessee

Might I ask what the color is , and is it going to be a satin finish for gloss ?
    Really love this car !! It is spot on perfect !!

5. Bader2

Bader2

Looks like 1940 mandarin maroon.

6. brady1929

brady1929

Probably a lucky guess Bader 2

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Really setting the bar rather high for guys who build at home! Nice work Taulberts!

8. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Yes it is Mandarin Maroon. That color was on the frame and underside when I got the car, and I really liked it. The car isn't ready for a nice paint job, so I got some single stage urethane flattened for now.

I'm just a hobbyist JJ!

9. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Really Cory? A Hobbyist? With your actual occupation in mind I don`t think so......:D

CTaulbert likes this.
  10. Bader2

Bader2

Kind of an educated guess Brady!

11. What a great car this is turning out to be - great skills have really been put to the best parts of this build. Very nicely done!

12. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Thanks! I really look at this iteration of the car being a "refresh". I have plans to build a different chassis for it, and would like to take the car back apart to finish it in the same quality as with my roadster. So, it may be a little rough around the edges in this version.....

13. brady1929

brady1929

Rough around the edges? You've got to be kidding me. I think it is amazing. You want to see rough around the edges, come to my house.

Tim_with_a_T and loudbang like this.
  14. Bader2

Bader2

To see you? Or the car? Hehehe.

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  15. Bigbangtheory

Bigbangtheory
    BANNED
    from ohio

I was wondering what you were going to use for wheels and tires? You have an awesome car, keep up the great work.

16. brady1929

brady1929

Both are rough around the edges Todd.

17. The exhaust looks like you are using Tri-Clover sanitary pipe fittings. I installed many hundreds of them over the years. And I used to weld at least as good as that. But that was when I could see what the hell I was doing. Getting old is a bitch. Anyway very nice work and cool build!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I initially set out to run original '40 wheels all around on the car, with 5.00/5.25-16 on the front and a 7.00-16 on the rear. I had my mind on a different set of 16" wheels, but wasn't satisfied with the widths and offsets available. After much thought, I decided to have a set of wheels machined - I get the design I was after, and the sizing to represent the high offsets of original Ford wheels. Here's the start of them.....
    IMG_9666.JPG
    Looks like Tri-Clovers function the same as v-band clamps. It's a little modern for the car, but I like the ease of using them.

mgtstumpy, kidcampbell71 and cactus1 like this.
  19. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I've been working pretty hard on the body this week. We stripped it at the beginning of the week, and followed it with several primes and blocks. Today, we got the final prime on the body and swing metal. I'm going to let it sit for a few days before doing the final block to prep it for the color.
    1915638_789897103249_466962924539630178_n.jpg

20. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Well, I've been plugging away on the car. This morning, we shot the hood, shell, and front apron. After it dried for a while, we moved it out, and got in the doors and decklid. After a final block, those got shot as well. Again, once dry enough, they were out and the body moved in. We finished the night up doing to final block on it, and I'll shoot it tomorrow when I get home from work.

The garage is piling up with drying racks.....

IMG_9708.JPG IMG_9709.JPG

21. loudbang

loudbang

Man you work at lightning speed.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. Can't wait to see it all together.

23. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

We stayed on track, and shot the body yesterday after work. It was a lot of work to move around the body while keeping a wet edge, but I'm happy with the way it turned out. I'm going to let it set for a couple days before moving stuff around. I need to plumb the chassis, get the rearend in place, and set the firewall before getting the body on. If all goes well, I'll set the body next weekend.
    IMG_9726.JPG

24. brady1929

brady1929

Gawd it is beautiful. I can't wait to see it all together.

25. Love the color - like a claret wine color .....

26. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Moved parts around the other day, and got the body out of the booth. I demasked it, and Ashley helped me paint the inside of the car satin black. I put the tail lights and license plate on to see how things look. I picked up an original pair of tail light lenses, but they look slightly different unfortunately. Not a huge deal, but I'm going to look for a better match.

I got the decklid on tonight as well, but still need to get the latch and handle in, and trim the bumpers.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452222620.445166.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452222647.973988.jpg

27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Beautiful looking coupe. Love the color. Doesn't get much nicer than that. :cool:

28. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Looks great, can't wait to see it back together.