Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1932 Ford 5w Refresh Thread - Closed Driveline T5 now!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CTaulbert, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Cory---Is that 3/8 Stainless Bar? Did you machine a recess for the plate before you bent it to shape? I made one several years ago from steel round stock, carefully shaped the back side to recess the plate, then had it plated.....Too much work, but it looked great....

2. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

That's why it's called a "labor of love."

3. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Unless you have to charge the customer for it. Then it becomes just Labour......and quite a bit of free Labour at that.......:oops::)

Still, I do things like that as part of the deal......keeps me happy, but perennially poor......:D

TexasSpeed likes this.
  4. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Thanks Reggie!

It's 1/2" half round bar. I did not machine a recess, but I did contemplate it. I shaped the plate to the contour of the tail, and did the same for the frame, so it fits pretty tight to the body as is.

5. Very nice build keep the updates coming

6. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I've been trying to plug through the rest of the fabrication for this refresh of the car. The last major thing was building an exhaust system. I wanted to run a full length 2" system, sans mufflers, out following the frame horns. That's quite a lot of work to go over the axle, and around the tank, but I was pleased with the result.

I started at the rear, as it was going to be the most difficult part:
    FullSizeRender[1] (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender[3] (2).jpg

Once I got over the axle, I decided that would be a convientent location to break the system. I've had some V-bands laying around, so I decided to use them. With that last joint in the system placed, I continued working forward:
    IMG_9466.JPG IMG_9468.JPG
    IMG_9462.JPG FullSizeRender[1].jpg FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender[4].jpg
    FullSizeRender[7].jpg

With that out of the way, I needed to do a final mockup of the body on the frame to make sure everything had the expected clearances. I'll be pulling everything apart in the next few days to start stripping it down for new primer.
    IMG_9524.JPG

7. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Looks great, just primer no paint?

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The exhaust looks good Cory. Just a caution on the exhaust mounting grommets you have mounted.
    Using them mounted close to the exhaust pipe like that there is a good chance they will melt.
    Using a high temp grommet will solve that issue.
    They are usually colored blue.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Pack-Uni...ash=item3cff228bfc:g:FAAAAOSwMmBVsVc2&vxp=mtr
    Larry

s-l500YGOZT1BR.jpg

9. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Cory, your welding skills are way better than mine and I have been welding a long, long time. Nice work on the exhaust.
    IMG_9462.jpg

10. Bader2

Bader2

Great build! Love the detail! What was the final length of your torque tube?

11. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

The frame is getting low gloss black paint, and the sheet metal is getting primer.

Thanks Larry - I'll look into those.

I'm good enough to just get by. Stainless does produce some pretty welds though!

53 1/2", but that measurement includes Danny Burroughs' torque tube seal that takes up 1/8". That said, my torque tube is shortened to 53 3/8".

12. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I spent Saturday doing a final mockup on the car before pulling it apart to strip it for some new primer. I also replaced the Vintique tank that I put in the car last year for the original one that was in it. It had developed a crack right before the Race of Gentlemen, and I put the Vintique piece in it in an effort to save some time.

I notched the original tank, and test fit it in the car. Overall, the fit was great to the frame horn covers and spreader bar, which I couldn't say for the Vintique tank. After that, I final fit the location of the new seat to make sure I was comfortable in it, and rolled the car outside for a chance to walk around it some.
    IMG_9537.JPG

A few minutes after the car rolled back inside, I got to work disassembling it......
    IMG_9542.JPG

mgtstumpy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. Awesome build!

14. Are you going to have it primed, painted, and back together before xmas :D:D;)
    Can't wait!

15. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I wish!

16. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I stripped the frame the other day, then proceeded to hang it in my temporary spray booth. I shot the frame with epoxy primer, sanded it the next day, and shot it with some urethane primer tonight. I'm hoping to get the color on it this weekend so I can move onto the suspension pieces.
    FullSizeRender[1].jpg FullSizeRender[2].jpg
    Since the engine is going to be rebuilt, and the trans is already rebuilt, I decided to pull the rear end apart to do a visual check and a regasket. I'm glad I did, as I found that a repair to the pinion support had cracked. I took the loaded center section to GearheadsQCE, and he disassembled it for me. I v-notched the crack, and welded both sides of it. GearheadsQCE is upgrading the pinion bearing to a tapered set to reduce the need of the pinion support, but I still wanted to make it the best it could be.
    FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_9554.JPG

mgtstumpy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. Bader2

Bader2

What rear end are you using? Mine is only 52-1/4"

18. haychrishay

haychrishay

Wow that's a good lookin car Cory! Always enjoy watching your work.

19. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

[​IMG]
    Cory can you show your fan and ducting system in a little more detail?

keywestjack and cactus1 like this.
  20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes, some details on your temporary spray booth setup would be appreciated as I will be needing to set one up myself.
    Larry.

21. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

It's a cross draft booth design. Where the photo was taken was at my walk-in door. That door is also the fresh air inlet, filtered through a few large furnace filters. At the opposite corner is the exhaust fan, and the flexible hose runs to a dog door in the outside wall of my garage. I place a cheap furnace filter at the mouth of the exhaust fan while it's running to catch large particles from going through.

The booth is just about 1000 cubic feet, and the fan is rated at 3000 cfm, which is about on par for what most people recommend for fan sizing given the booth volume. It seems to work well, keeping the booth clear at all times.

The booth is framed in 2x4's. I wrapped each wall in plastic, and stapled it, before assembling the walls together. All of that was built on top of a tarp to keep the concrete floor clean too. It has a ceiling at 7', which creates a closed cube, and fits under my garage door opener and tracks. At the rear of the booth are two swing doors that exit through the garage door to take any large items out.

Blue One, loudbang, Andy and 2 others like this.
  22. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

23. doyle miller

doyle miller

Cory your 32 5 window is a great build. I wanted to have my 34 chop, but i made other mod. to get my 34 to sit right. but still have that old 50s hot rod look. i hope we will see each other some day, I have en done to my A saltflat,nor my Tford roadster my health is not too good now. keep up the good work.

24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes, thanks Cory, what are the dimensions of it, length and width ?
    By the way, what is that weird alien looking creature with green eyes hanging on the wall ? :D

loudbang likes this.
  25. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

It's roughly 15' long, and 10' wide. That item on the wall is a 220v charger for an electric car...

Blue One likes this.
  26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks Cory.
    An electric car. Interesting
    Larry.

loudbang likes this.
  27. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

More progress on the car - I got the frame shot in low gloss black last week, and followed that up with shooting the rest of the chassis parts in the days that followed. We got the frame back in the booth today, and shot the frame reveal to match the sheet metal.

FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_9578.JPG IMG_9636.JPG IMG_9659.JPG IMG_9662.JPG

28. One of my favorite colors

29. WOW!!! What a well thought out, fantastic build! The detail and quality of your 5W is way up there, second to none. I just found this thread and enjoyed every detail in reading all 5 pages. Did I mention I love Deuces, especially 5W's?

Here's a suggestion for a better alternative than Rain-X for your windshield. After years of driving in all weather in my old roadster, I used PPG Aquapel, it lasts much longer, easily a year or more. With Rain-X, I had to reapply almost daily when traveling in rain. Here's what its benefits are:

Aquapel® Glass Treatment uses technology innovated for the aviation industry by PPG Industries, leaders in glass technology. When applied to a vehicle windshield, this product improves vision in the rain, day and night. Aquapel forms a chemical bond with glass – unlike other products that simply coat glass – to increase water repellency, causing it to bead and easily shed off the glass. As a result, Aquapel can last up to 6 times longer than other products. Each box contains one applicator and one treatment can last for months! Additionally, Aquapel Glass Treatment remains highly effective after months of normal use, including driving in rain and snow, car washing and glass cleaning.

You can find it on Ebay for less than $6 per application or at most PPG paint suppliers locally for a little more. One package will do a lot of glass. I even use it on my glass shower enclosure in the house.

32ford5, GreenMtnBoy and loudbang like this.
  30. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Thanks - I had someone else recommend that product as well. I'll definitely look into it, as I even Rain-X my daily drivers.