Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 ford 3 window coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by camshaw, Nov 12, 2019.

1. camshaw

camshaw

hey guys, just wanted to say good work on this site, cool cars and cool bunch of folks, been floating around for some time but thought I would post a pic of a 32 steel coupe I just bought from an old friend who found the car in so cal area back in the 80s, it was an old custom from the 50s he was told but had changed hands multiple times prior to his purchase...I got the album book of old pics to copy for my collection and one of the olds pics shows the car with a restaurants name in whittier california on it that i will be going to chase down, he said he feels the car is Ed Roths old custom from the late 50s or early 60s?? Cant find much info on his coupe, his wife said they considered his coupe lost years ago and couldnt render any addition help....but heres a pic.........cam IMG_7181.JPG

2. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Hubba, hubba. Very nice...

3. Nice. Post up some photos of it in its former glory with the name on the door.

4. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes please to the 50s pics

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't wait to see the Ed Roth Version...Congrats on your new Hotrod @camshaw...;)

kidcampbell71 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  6. Sure looks nice,congrats.And times 2 on more pics please.

7. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

I lived in Long Beach in the 1960's. It looks like the one Ed Gill had.I believe he went to Wilson High. Lost touch with him in the early '70s.Ed was good friends with Jerry Slattery who was with Street Rodder in the 80's.Jerry now lives in Coos Bay,OR. Hope this helps

8. Vics stuff

Vics stuff

Sweet car. Nice score
    Vic

kidcampbell71 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  9. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just somthin’ about a stock top channeled 3W.... gets me every time! Best of luck with your history search.

10. brady1929

brady1929

Very cool hot rod.

11. camshaw

camshaw

thanks guys, i've always wanted a 32, and when he said ok its time to pass the torch I jumped at the opportunity, she needs some serious chassis work but that will come, the doors click closed like henry built it yesterday....soo cool im stoked!...thanks for the clue Deuce lover, ill do some digging...

catdad49, lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  12. Doc.

Doc.
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like it a lot.

13. We still want to see the old photos of it......

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  14. Sent you a PM with Jerry's phone number......

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. camshaw

camshaw

10-4, i have to get over and make digital copies of the old pics then i will post it up, thanks for the info guys...good lead, I left a message with jerrys vmail,found another # for him on the goog....would be cool to find sum history, dont know how I could prove its somebodys car but would be interesting..

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Here are some pics of Roth’s 3 window

FE9A408F-067C-4476-BE71-363F4F8683C1.jpeg

17. camshaw

camshaw

same tail lights as mine too, 41 chevy coupe i was told, before my car was painted it was a dark marroon or dark burgandy too...sure looks like it???

Stogy likes this.
  18. camshaw

camshaw

any pictures of the front or hood of eds car? I was given a stock hood that was lead'ed down the center and louvered on the sides and was told it was the hood that came with the car, it has a piece of flatbar steel gas welded down the underside and leaded in on the top so its a one piece hood jobber???

catdad49, kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was just getting into the Hoodlum story and it ran of the picture...:(

@camshaw is there any way of tracking through the ownership transitions through the DMV?

Perhaps @Bad Bob might have some dot connections to help identify it's origins...

20. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

5FF25DC7-CFFF-4098-8513-A27374EDED07.jpeg 534E619A-6FA0-4115-9ABD-DE74F27ECA1E.jpeg Those are the only pics in the book of the 32

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Thanks Moriarity, I get the grand finale in reading on now...I got crap for that once and I found a better scan of the story...Sixball was happy and heck I read it too...okay back to reading...:D

It says that regarding the Coupe it was Hammered and Slammed...now Hammered to me means Chopped however Ed's reference may have been to another Hotrod Mod...

The other thing is sometimes the roof is raised...not common I'm sure but after so many years who knows...Thoughts...

The OP mentioned Custom that's a Hotrod of course...

Thanks for the rest it was an interesting glimpse...;)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Moriarity likes this.
  22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Keep in my mind too that Ed had that 32 in 1949, he was 17 and he only had it a year. That is going to be tough to prove

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. Really enjoy when someone can track-back the history of their car. Even when it doesn't always turn out like they suspect it might, it's still a fun and enlightening exercise. I've managed to talk to 3 previous owners (no celebrity in the mix) of my '40 that go back to the 1960's. Found out information about the car that I would never have known otherwise. Enjoy the search.

24. camshaw

camshaw

I will do some dmv checking..

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Stogy and brEad like this.
  25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I could be wrong but I think the orig engine number, trans number and frame numbers are the same
    18- 001 to 18- 203,126

Stogy likes this.
  26. camshaw

camshaw

still digging into this car, just happy to finally have a 32

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Stogy likes this.
  27. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Removing the carpet and seats will only reveal the Murry body# tag on the pass side floor board. VIN# will be on the top of the drivers side frame rail. The front location should be visible in front of the cowl.

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  28. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Example of a "body" tag you might uncover under the carpet and seat. Should not be a registration #. 1932-ford-3-window-coupe-original-henry-ford-steel-wclean-ca-title-and-plates-12.jpg

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  29. camshaw

camshaw

great, thanks for the pic and details, I spoke with jerry, and Im tracking down ed to see if it was his car from 1968, found his brother,but not ed....jerry is a cool dude, spoke for 30 minutes, he said he has a pic of eds car and will send it to me when he finds it, i emailed him pics of my car too...you guys r the coolest! thanks a bunch...

kidcampbell71, jnaki and Stogy like this.
  30. Its gonna be hard to talk to Ed. He died in 2001

kidcampbell71 likes this.