Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 Fiberglass 32 Ford? Yes or no?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38FLATTIE, May 28, 2010.

?
  1. Never, no way under any circumstances

108 vote(s)
    23.9%
  2. Only if you can't afford a real one

128 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. Hell yes!

215 vote(s)
    47.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a 32 glass body car and love it I have seen so many steel cars that are 99% covered with plastic filler to make it as pretty as a glass car is from the beginning.
    I never said I wanted a steel car and never really looked for one, I wanted a hot rod in the shape of a 32 ford coupe and that is what I built. If it had been steel I would have surpassed the 80 thousand dollar mark and been able to brag that it is real steel covered 99% with plastic filler to make it look as nice as a glass car.

I say build what you want pay what you have to and drive it like you stole it.

2. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

well it depends on where you see your hobby in 5,10,15 or 20 years time. me personally, I built a tupperware 32 roadster some 9 years ago, although it is one of the best built bodies, the glass has laminated in torque stressed areas, I made a decision it would be my last and only plastic car or even a repop of any type. I would rather have a rusty original than a copy.
    but ultimately our hobby is about you doing what you want, it is so Democratic this whole modified car scene, thats why governments don't like it.
    If you can afford the real deal do it, you are better off spending more on the body than having all those name branded shiny gadgets, you can put them on later.
    on a final note my roadster has been fun over the years from the build to registration to fixing and driving it, big block ford & 4 speed, now my sons share in the driving and enjoyment, one day my legacy to them will be Ford Coupes and a 61 Bubbletop.

Attached Files:

3. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Hmmm, glass cars are petrified snot, but taking a Brookville and reacreating a barn find is acceptable? It's a nice car you built, but no less phony than a glass one!

There you go!

4. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Im building a glass car and they are more work than a steel one .I get slammed for it being glass but in reality it aint no new peice of shit either .And thats the way I look at it .I also have a steel 32 truck in project form ,Im enjoying building the 29 Roadster.....

5. You've gotten almost 100 opinions in a short amount of time, mostly more or less expressing the same theme. My opinion is no different really, if you like it do it. I built one car that everyone liked but me and I mean everyone. The lesson that I learned was to listen to myself and build the car for me, not because of what others say about it.

6. Phony Baloney..Whatever.

All I know is I love that old Ford steel.

7. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Id be interested to know how many of the people expressing negative opinions re glass cars actually OWN a steel 32, not just an attitude. The reality is that putting together a steel 32 body is going to cost pretty much the same as a complete glass car. Sure there are exceptions but go price a SAR, Brookville or original bodies, the latter generally needing a lot of work. Thats OK if you have the skills, but if you dont it gets expensive.

I have owned a 32 glass and started a 32 steel car. I can tell you when driving my 32 glass I could not have enjoyed it any diffrently then if it was steel.

Would I buy another glass car?? Probably not. But now Im in a position where I need not to. But if I didnt have the $ I wouldnt hesitate to do what I did.

BTW I reckon an A coupe on 32 rails is the better looking vehicle, well up until the 33s :)

See Bob's comments below. That car is the real deal hot rod.

Bugger I got sucked in again - better do some work

8. what color socks today?

same asst.answers as listed above .. its just up to you...

do what you want for fun
    if its a investment ????
    be ready to sell to that guy that thinks a glass car is fun too

have fun good luck

oya i own one of each.....

9. hotrodsneverdie

hotrodsneverdie

I can appreciate a fiberglass body now that I own a real one. :) I must say. There is nothing better than owning the car of your dreams. whether its just a hammered shell of a coupe or a bitchin done car. So i could say the same for fiberglass. Just not for me! These things obviously don't grow on trees anymore so whats wrong with building a kit car so long as you like it? People. Do what you want. You dont need HAMBers thoughts and opinions first. Do what YOU want!!!!

10. It's a real hoot to hear the arrogance and hypocricy in this discussion because this isn't the Antique Automobile Club of America or the Bloomington Gold Corvette Restoration Society. Hell, these are HOT RODS! They are whatever YOU want them to be. There are no rules, and there never was and that's the way it should be. I own nine steel Deuce Henry's and two repops and I love them all because I'm putting my heart and soul into them. Although owning an original Ford gives you braggging rights if that what turns your crank, it doesn't necessarily translate into any more fun. If you think a glass car has no soul, all that means is that you haven't put your own into your car, you just rented someone elses! Building my own car, regardless of what I started with and then driving the hell out of it is what matters to me!

11. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Discussions like this are often like discussions about the American League's designated hitter rule.

Feh!

12. killbilly

killbilly

I think your vote is the one that really counts the most,make the trade and don't worry about what anyone else thinks!

13. Harms Way

Harms Way

Just look at the results of the Poll,......

14. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I liked your earlier answer the best.... never mind the poll. :D

15. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...wanna bet? :rolleyes:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. Harms Way

Harms Way

Best response to a quote,.... EVER ! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

17. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

AMEN !!!!!

Fiberglass replicas are kit cars. Nothing more.

18. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

Do tell? Why not?

19. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

two of these cars are glass and one is steel , however all three have the same fun factor . Build it , drive it and enjoy it . life's short ! BTW you tell me which one is steel !

Attached Files:

20. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

middle one?

21. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Well, it doesn't appear the trade is going to happen, but it sure made for some interesting chat!:D

22. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

It has been fun seeing all the hair stand up on necks. :D

23. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Strike one !

24. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I was pretty sure it wasen't the middle one because of the the way the reflections in the hood look, to ones with the flat paint are harder to figure.

I guess the one on the right, because the body lines look straighter than a stock steel body MIGHT look.

25. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

One last statement then I'm out of this one.

I don't have a problem with people building glass cars...it their car they can do what they want. As for me, I think the most fun, ranking right up there with driving the damn thing, is searching for the parts. Trying to find a specific dirty ass old part to build a car like they used to. Finding pieces of bodies to throw together and make something out of it. I enjoy the treasure hunt more than picking up a phone and ordering parts...Ive met more cool people looking thru junk than I have ever met driving my cars.

26. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Strike two ! the two on the right are glass bodies and the one on the left is a Brookville . All three are repops and have been driven a lot of very fun miles . 39 All Ford , thanks for playing along .

27. DougHH

DougHH

in australia many people wont recognise an orig steel body dropped onto something like.. say a later model pick up chassis.. as being a 'rod. But... they will recognise dropping a fibreglass body onto repop rails with nothing that was made in the era that the owner claims is the year model. Not even the badges are orig.

This blows my mind.

i'm no restorer. i'm no purist. i dont care who does what to what car aslong as they have a love for what they are doing. Differrent stroke for different blokes. Personally i would use fiberglass in something like wide rear guards (where practical) but i would never have a fibreglass car. i would sooner make a comprimise on what i was looking to build than build a fibreglass car. But thats just my opinion, not trying to be harsh to anyone who would.
    if i am at a show and i see a tonne of 32's and 34's next to each other i usually dont even bother walking up that isle anymore.

28. yes it do, although i would love to have a sars repop.

29. eh keep looking around for other steel bodies. yes real 32's can be extreemly expensive but that doesnt mean you cant find another make and model thats real steel that will be sweet also.

30. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Same as repro rails :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.