Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 Fiberglass 32 Ford? Yes or no?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38FLATTIE, May 28, 2010.

?
  1. Never, no way under any circumstances

108 vote(s)
    23.9%
  2. Only if you can't afford a real one

128 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. Hell yes!

215 vote(s)
    47.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TERPU

TERPU

A repop is still a repop no matter what it is. I understand the want to own a '32 and my goodness they are crazy expensive. But for what it will cost the average guy to buy or build a glass '32 you can buy a steel Ford car. Yes it wil need more work and yes it will cost more in the long run. But you won't be driving a plastic fantastic. B'ville steel is also a repop but boy what a nice repop. I'll make exceptions for the B'ville bunch because they have a quality product. But Glass, no way it just lacks soul.

Tim

2. It seems to me the most vocal of the glass 32 Ford haters don't own a steel one,,I'm just saying,:rolleyes:,HRP

3. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

there are plenty of guys on here that have done amazing jobs with fiberglass cars. just cause its glass doesnt mean it has to be a street rod....

4. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

I have had a steel one. I would rather have a 34 3w...but when I get one it will be Henry steel...and I will bust my ass to get one and won't half ass and settle for a plastic replica...it's all about how bad do you want it. Thats why I hate replicas because it cheapens the whole experience...it's not meant for everyone to have one.

5. chopt49

chopt49

So true.....

6. fiberglass is for boats.

7. Your question is like asking strangers if you should keep your wife. ?? I'd rather see a glass car built than another original 32 cut up into a hot rod. Sorry, there are just too few of them left. Some need to be preserved. And before you go ahead and flame me, I have cut up my fair share of old bodies and built cars that make the restoration crown wince. Some old girls just need to be left alone and enjoyed for what they are ....... without the silicon implants, no matter where you put them.;)

8. moses

moses

1-800-build a car...jeffrey

9. moter

moter

Build what yu can afford and drive the shit out of it! Have doing it is the big thing...and glass cars do bring good money as long as it is well built.

10. WZ,,I happen to own 3 steel 32 fords,,but I would build another glass roadster or a fake Brookville car if I ever get the chance.

True not everyone can afford a steel 32 and don't care one way or the other,,,there are even some that don't see eye to eye with your way of thinking.

Glass is here to stay,,this from one of those half asses you refered to that will settle for a glass car. :D HRP

11. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Fiberglass, steel, whatever: If it looks good, I’d love to own it. My preference would always be for original parts, but I’d take a Rolling Bones-style ‘glass car over a Boyd-style steel car any day of the week.

That being said, I’m well aware that there are some sketchy ‘glass bodies out there, so make sure you look before you leap.

-Dave

Nine2Five likes this.
  12. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

if it ain't steel, it ain't real.......?? this is the dumbest fucking saying. This thread reminds of the "why t-buckets get no respect" thread. Iam going to say the same thing here that i said in that thread, Some of you guys need to find better shit to bitch about then fiberglass or "fake" cars and small block chevys. If a car is put together right i dont care if its steel, a brookville, or glass it should get respect cuz it keeps our hobby going. so that said, hell yes do it.

13. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

...Thank you, I agree.

14. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

He was asking for opinions and was only giving mine...and was a personal attack on no one. Build what you want to build, trade for what you want to trade for...Im going to do it my way.

15. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WHEW!!!----Now that the "smoke" has cleared--------Back in 1962, there was no option to buy a "glass" replica 1932 Ford roadster.
    I was fortunate enough to find a complete all steel 1932 roadster body,fenders,frame,firewall,grill shell,grill,gas tank,frame horns,front pan for 500.00 bucks.
    There was no motor,trans,differential,wheels,running gear, & dash & floorboards were gutted out to accept a big hydro auto trans.---for drag racing--the biggie for that time.
    It took 6 years of part time to build it the way I wanted, (between girl scouts--brownies--little league), but when finished, painted & threads, we enjoyed the car to the fullest.
    Fast forward to today----All the kids are married & in their 50's & have their own families, my wife can't travel like we used to do across the USA, so my priorities in life are to make her comfortable, & offer my roadster up for sale.
    We will be DRIVING it down to the LAR fathers day show June 20th, where those of you that want a REAL 1932 Ford STEEL roadster can see me & make some offers!

Please----No tire kickers!!!---------Don

16. i would trade
    as long as there was paperwork ....ie a title that goes with it
    that shit is a hassle all in its self
    tk

17. DD

DD
    from illinois

I have two sons, to put through school, so to ol dad, the price of a glass 32, looks pretty good. I thinking of building one myself. Besides wescott, who has the nicest body?

18. Would the smile on your face be any bigger with an original body? Doubt it. Will it go down the road any different? Not really. Steel or 'glass its all fun stuff.

19. Not to sound crude, but some of our ladies have had help to make them look veryyyy nice. Are they real are fake. Do we give a big rats --- Hope not to offend. Trade for the glass if you like it and you can come out ahead.

20. brandon

brandon

if your into a glass car right , who cares..:rolleyes:....i'd rather have a up and running pile of 'glass and "repop'd" parts than one steel nos front fender , pieces of a body that needs the bottom 6" replaced, gennie grille shell with 10 broken teeth (but i have another section that i only had to pay 300 for, to fix it) and a pair of real deal 32 rails , that need straightened and fixed , but hey ....i have a 32 ford (almost:rolleyes::mad::):(:confused::D:eek::cool:) .....heck , remember giving more for a 32 sedan door , than i gave for one of my complete 28 tudor bodies.....

21. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Some of the responses seem to me to be saying that if you can't afford a steel '32, your only choice is a glass '32. B.S.! Another (and better) choice is to build some other steel bodied car.

That said, I don't have anything against fiberglass bodied hot rods in general...just particularly against glass '32s. Why? I have no idea. Just the way I feel about it, illogical as it may be.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  22. brandon

brandon

you got that right....sounds like a elite crowd:D

23. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Haha! I didn't know I was going to start a shitstorm!

T-Time, I HAVE other steel bodied builds. If this were a model T, or Model A, I wouldn't even consider glass, I would hold out for steel.

The '32 is in a class by it's self, in regards to price. The average working family man can no longer afford one as a hobby.

I just wondered what everyone thought, but it makes no difference on what I'll do. If a fair trade can be arrainged, I'll do it in a heartbeat!

And I'll smile!;)

24. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Do what you want, but, please, if you choose 'glass, don't paint rusty spots on it and really try to make it something that it is not. Don't pretend anything.
    Nothing stinks up the joint like a phony.
    That's where I draw the line between having fun and just being a fraud.

25. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

No worries! I'm pretty fond of shiny paint and polished aluminum!

26. SKRTCHSR

SKRTCHSR
    from Cincinnati

I have a saying, if you can touch it. it's real! (Fake titties) apply. Have fun with it.

27. Friend of mine has owned his 32 Ford 3 window for close to 55 years now. Solid hot rodding credentials that date back to the early 50s, the dry lakes, Bonneville, bikes, and drag racing.

He built the chassis that is under the 301 roadster (now in the hands of a HAMB member and being restored).

He is currently building a 32 chassis for a roadster pickup. And, gasp, he is thinking about using a glass body. If it works for him who are we to take exception?

Attached Files:

28. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

No, but thanks for asking.

29. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I have read that also ... but it is just NOT true. :mad:
    Do you really think that there are 211 thousand Deuces in California ... ??

There are not 211 thousand Deuces in the entire world ... original and repro combined. :rolleyes:

As far as the original question ... if fiberglass does not bother you ... then go for it. :) Just make sure you get a good quality body ... ( Wescott is the BEST IMHO ).

I believe that if you are persistant and shop around ... you can own a original Henry Ford Deuce. Add up the amount of money you have spent buying projects and stuff and I imagine that total would buy you a Henry Ford Deuce. :eek: :cool:

I only have two old cars ... not a yard full and no real projects now but I do own two original bodied ALL STEEL Deuces ... It took a little while but ... I never made big money ( government worker ) ... the wife was a school teacher. I just focused and worked towards having the TWO I wanted.

:D

[​IMG]

30. Andy

Andy

I have never had a glass car. I do own steel 32's. A friend had one of the best 32 roadsters I know of. We ran to LARS many times from Texas. I would have been proud to own that car. There is NOTHING wrong with a glass car.
    I would throw up some flags though. Glass can become soft and sag if it has not gotten hot enough in the mold. It will only do this once but that is enough. Look up fiberglass transformation temperature.
    A coupe in glass is many times harder to build than a roadster. Think moldings,glass channels.headlining, more paint,etc. I would get a glass roadster over a coupe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.