Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 fan shroud question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RatBone, Jan 21, 2008.

1. RatBone

RatBone

I have a 32 shell and rad on my Model A and you know how low the fan is on the radiator. Can a shroud work with the fan that far from center? I would put some cut outs with flaps on the top half to let air thru on the highway. Anybody try this? I searched all the fan shroud posts and couldn't find this situation covered. thanks

2. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

There's a water pump that raises the fan so it's centered on the radiator. Most people that use stock pumps run an electric fan.

3. RatBone

RatBone

its a big block or I would use that. I dont like electrics ;)

thanks

4. My 32 roadster has a Walker radiator and the Walker waxy plastic shroud that you cut to fit.

BB Buicks (455's etc.) have the fan very low and left.
    Most of the bottom of the shroud is cut away, but the engine runs cool in the hottest desert weather.

17" Hayden six fat blade stainess mechanical fan and the advance cannister connected to manifold vacuum.

The pic will give you an idea of how much is cut away.

At one time I pulled the shroud and ran around in 90 degree weather and the engine ran just about as cool as it did with the shroud.

Besides having vacuum advance, the big fan pulls a lot of air so that's where the majority of the cooling is.

Trans cooler separate from the radiator fwiw.

Attached Files:

5. RatBone

RatBone

wow I wish I could run a huge fan like that! Im so close the the radiator I cant run a spacer so no big fan for me.

6. I had my problems setting up for a mechanical fan.

Front crossmember is an A in the stock 32 location.

Not sure if it would help, but can you bring the fan back toward the rear?

On my 32 I machined the front sheave of a three sheave pulley off and when the engine is not running the fan clears the pulley by about 1/8".
    Not too big a deal since the rear edge of the fan blades pull forward when the engine is running.

The big deal was removing the cross member setup and building new ones 2" to the rear on a new Deuce Factory frame.
    To top if off, the DF had already set the frame up so the big Buick sat 1" further back than an SBC - which is what their jig was set up for.
    The BB Buick fit nicely, but no room for a mechanical fan.

Had to make my own alternator mount as well.

Here's another pic of the shroud and fan.
    I'll keep looking for a pic that shows more detail, but I don't think I have one on the 32.

Attached Files:

7. You're in Ventura, you oughta see Kiwi Kev and see about having him make up an aluminum shroud for you.

He does very nice work and I hear he's reasonable.

8. RatBone

RatBone

thanks, ill take a look

9. Retrorod

Retrorod

I have one of those plastic shrouds on my sedan. The fan sits on the lower 3/4 of the radiator and it has little flaps to vent at high (?) speeds. Actually the top few rows aren't covered but it doesn't seem to bother it. The thing ran 195 degrees all day (with a 190 stat) when we visited Boron last summer (Boron is HOT). C9's setup looks nice.

10. BillM

BillM
    Member Emeritus

Attached Files:

11. RatBone

RatBone

great guys thanks for the info!

12. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Walker Shroud on the 32 3W ...

[​IMG]

Walker Shroud on the 32 Roadster ... a shroud would definitely help ;)

I have been told that the guy who makes the raised water pumps for the SBC ... has made a run of them for the BBC ... He is in PA some where.

[​IMG]

13. RatBone

RatBone

>>>I have been told that the guy who makes the raised water pumps for the SBC ... has made a run of them for the BBC ... He is in PA some where. <<<

now that would be some great news!!

14. RatBone

RatBone

found it , ill call tomorrow

Zips Water Pumps
    c/o John Drakulic
    106-7th. St.
    Trafford, PA 15085
    Phone (412) 372-4411