Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 Chevy subframe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopper526, Dec 8, 2010.

1. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

It's going slow, and now not only am I short on time, I am short on cash. But, I finished up my brake lines, put the body back on the frame, got my radiator and steering column mounted and a bunch of other stuff that didn't cost any $$$$. I also had to do something to get the feature lines on the passenger side door to line up with the lines on the quarter panel, they were WAY off! If I pulled the door up the gap at the bottom, front was too big. So, I had the idea to slice the door and just pull the top half up and weld in a piece of sheet metal. I was a little apprehensive....but it worked great. This week I will work on finishing up the door and latch mechanism. I will also try to scrounge some cash together for the big ticket items I am going to need to get this thing moving; carb, starter ,alternator, headers.
    You have to excuse the pictures they were taken with a phone 'cause my camera broke.

Attached Files:

2. CHOP36

CHOP36

Jim looks good !! Glad the doors worked out.

3. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

I can't keep up with you guys, but I'm trying. It took me a couple days just to get my door to fit right and get the feature lines lined up. These are better pictures of the work I did last week. I had to slice and dice the door, but you see a big difference in the before and after pictures. Oh, I got my steering wheel on, too, big deal;)

Attached Files:

4. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Sorry, I forgot some pictures:eek:

Attached Files:

5. Nice job! It's coming along great.

6. CHOP36

CHOP36

7. gasman22

gasman22
    from colorado

Hey man, looks pretty good. I have a 1932 Chevy 2 door sedan and I am trying to replace the wood inside with steel. Can you give me any pointers, anything would be appreciated. Thanx, Mike

8. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Hey Mike, check out my album and my whole build thread. Also check out Carl5coupe and Ghost28 they have real nice threads of their builds. Do a search too cause there are a bunch of other guys that have some great build threads and they are very helpful. I used 1" square tubing to replace all my wood. It really isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be and I'm glad I did it, although I am still not done. I used 3" x 1 1/2" tubing for my subframe. If you have any specific questions let me know. Good luck and post some pictures! Jim

9. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Chopper, I fell off the email for some reason, Looks like your still kicking it out. Looking good man. So when you going to take it down the road? Looks like your just about there.

10. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Well it's been a while since I posted, but I have been working as much as time will allow. I'm short on funds so I have started to sell off some parts and stuff to generate some cash so I can get the parts I need to get this tub moving. In the meantime I have been doing some bodywork and metal work, that doesn't cost much money, just time. I filled the roof using a donor off of a 2002 Monte Carlo. My measurements were off and the roof from the Monte was a little small (of course I realized it after the roof was chopped off and I took it home from the junkyard), but I made it work.
    I also put in a trunk latch from a '32 Ford. I had to do a minimum fabrication and move the hole for the trunk handle up about 1/2".
    I worked over the rear fiberglass fenders that came with the car. I put a sheet of .16 gauge steel between the trunk and passenger compartment. I am also just about finished replacing all the wood with metal. My plan is to try to get the parts I need; carb., starter, headers, alternator and see if I can get this baby started.
    Because the engine sits so low and I didn't want to use an electric fan, I just ordered a Zip riser, so we will see how that goes.

Attached Files:

11. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Now your looking good. Love it. Take some videos if you can when you get it rolling.

So sweet its bad ass.

12. Roof looks great! This car has come a long way. I agree with Carl you'll have to take some video when you get it rolling.

13. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Well, here's my car after almost two years of work. I sold off a bunch of stuff that I wasn't going to use on the car. That made it possible for me to get some of the things I need like headers, starter, alternator, carburetor, odds and ends to get this puppy running. With any any luck (and a few more sales) I will have it running by the end of the month......or maybe nextmonth [​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. HOT ROD RAM

HOT ROD RAM
    from marysville

HEY YOUR 31 LOOKS GREAT BUT i NEED MEASUREMENTS... CAN YOU HELP???CALL ME 210-838-0503

15. F&J

F&J

Worth it, I'd say. It really looks great.

Some of these wood bodied cars never get too far after the first few posts, but this one is almost there. Good job.

16. HOT ROD RAM

HOT ROD RAM
    from marysville

Hey everyone!!!!!
    can you assist...from one structural artist to another...

17. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

What ya need Hot Rod Ram?

18. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Yea, Ram, tell us what you are looking for or send us a P.M.

19. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

OK Chopper
    How about an update? Summer is just about gone.

20. 33rag

33rag
    from Pa.

I always used 1 1/2 square tubing.Use one to follow the rocker and another on top of the frame.Use 1x2 for the rear kickup.

21. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Yea Carl, I've been a little slow updating. Getting the kids ready for the start of school, work, blah, blah. The good news is, after selling a bunch of stuff I got enough cash to do just about everything I set out to do. I got everything just about done and with any luck I hope to start it up this weekend....maybe next weekend. Believe me, I'm tryin'.
    I may still be able to make a couple fall cruises. Let's hope:D

22. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Hey, 33Rag, where you at in Pennsy? I had a '38 Plymouth pickup for a few years.
    (Thanks, but I am now way past the subframe).

23. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

I am almost there! I really thought I might have it running this weekend, and then an emergency called me away and all I got was a couple hours on Sunday. All I have to do is hook up an ignition switch, plug wires, a bracket for the accelerator linkage and bolt up the driveshaft. Well, let's shoot for next weekend:)

Attached Files:

24. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Finally, I got it running this weekend. I wired up an ignition switch,threw some gas in the tank and tossed on some Accel wires I had. Turned the key and ground up the pinion gear on my new, ultra light, super-duper high torque starter. So what did I do? Shimmed it up a bit , and ground it up some more. So, I put the old Delco back in and it cranked great, but no start. I realized I messed up the firing order on the distributer cap. I straightened that out, cleaned the, by now, gas fouled plugs, and it fired right up! No knocks, no taps, no smoke. I am still keeping my fingers crossed, though. In the past 25 years or so, this engine has only been run once two years ago when I bought the car.
    So, I'm almost done. All I have to do is; run the wiring, the glass, exhaust, interior, bumpers, finish bodywork, window and door mechanisms.......:D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  25. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

well it probley a good thing it didn't start rt away, during all that cranking you brought up some oil into the system.

Great, now is when the fun starts, Driving it!!!

26. CHOP36

CHOP36

You are doing good Glad its running.Now will You say You under Paid.Marwyn

27. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

You're right Carl, after sitting all that time getting the juices flowing for a while sure didn't hurt it. Now I have to get some exhaust on it so I can move it around and have some fun without rattling anyone's windows. I tried to download a video here but I can't figure it out.
    Marwyn, if it will make you happy I will say I paid a "fair" price. But how about that Aviator? Don't forget to send me pictures of the ElCamino.

28. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Cool
    I can help with the video if you want to post it.

29. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Yea man! It's not much, only about a minute and a half, but that would be great.

30. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

You got a Photo Bucket account? Thats what i use. I also use Youtube. Either one will work.