Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 Chevrolet Confederate PickUp

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1932roadster, Sep 12, 2011.

1. 1932roadster

1932roadster

1932 Chevrolet PickUp Truck

Found this out in the High Desert and it followed me home. It has a few leaks to fix (Front Crank Seal and Honeycomb Radiator). It fires right up and drives real nice for an original truck.

It is all original and all there with the exception of the bed and 1 piece of garnish molding for the passenger side window.

The wood in the base of the body is rotted so it needs to get a new Wood Kit, they make them out of White Ash and can be ordered with stock or chopped top. It would look much better with a bed back on it. It would look great Chopped 4" and Fenderless too.

It is a straight 6 and 3 speed transmission now. It also came with a complete extra rear end.

It is currently registered with a clear Califonia Title. It is an Oakland Built BB 109" Confederate PickUp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

3. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

WOW! That's a nice truck!

4. Snijro31

Snijro31
    from Michigan

i think i would get a bed for her and drive her just that way she is dont see to many stock chevy trucks

5. jipp

jipp

looks great, im a fan of steak beds flat beds whatever one calls them ( had one on my 50 chev 5 window truck.. was useful too. i used some recycled wood from a old farm barn so i could still use the bed and not be afraid of scratching her up but it had enough character to look good too with a finish. thats a nice truck.. would of let her follow me home too. enjoy her. :)
    chris.

6. F&J

F&J

Not that it matters, the 32 Chev pickups and trucks used 1931 Chev car styled body parts.

A 32 style rad shell was not used on trucks until 1933.

7. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

Them pitchas look awful familiar.

:D

-W

8. jrose7004

jrose7004

9. 1932roadster

1932roadster

That is the general rule of thumb, for the '31 car grill on a '32 truck. This was either converted or was a west coast production thing for late '32. I have seen quite a few '32 Trucks out here with the '32 Car Grills. It was built in Oakland and has a pretty high production number. It is also a BB which makes it a '32 Confederate 109' Truck.

Thanks for all the great comments!!

I am trying to decide to keep it or sell it. I was told it would take at least 2-4 months to get the Wood from one guy and 12 months from another. That is a long time to let it set in storage.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  10. 1932roadster

1932roadster

I did some more looking around at the grill brackets and they have been welded so I assume it was converted to the '32 Car Grill. I have the correct car brackets and a new grill shell that I will use on it.

It has also had the interior done back in the '50 - '60's with the carpet and velour upholstery.

I am thinking about doing it in 60's style with everything period correct for 1966. I have an NOS L79 327/350 Crate Engine that would go perfect in it with a M21 and Halibrand Champ.

11. 1932roadster

1932roadster

It will end up Chopped 4"-5", Fenderless, Raised Bed with Commercial Headlights and '32 Chevrolet Tailights on Custom Stands.

It will get Schroeder Sprint Cowl Steering with the Axle in front of the '32 Car Grill.

It will get the L79 327 Engine Dressed in Finned Aluminum and Offenhauser/Rochester Tri-Power and TKO600RR.

I am thinking about a custom perimeter frame with Straight Axle Front, Transverse Mono Leaf, Split Bones, and Ladder Bars with Friction Shocks.

I am still undecided on Spoke, Smoothie with Wide Whites or Halibrand Wheels and Old School Slicks.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  12. scottlep

scottlep

I started a '31 Chevy Truck build last month. I have a thread going and can send a link later. I ordered a wood kit for it from autowood.net on August 10th. Supposedly it shipped out on Friday. The kit was about $1200 without the door pieces.

13. 1932roadster

1932roadster

Thanks! I am going to be having some changes made to the standard full kit so it will slow my order down a bit. Any help will be great!

14. 31 B'ville

31 B'ville
    from SE Pa
    1. All Things Pontiac

I thought I was the only one replacing wood with wood in a hot rod. I also got a wood kit from autowood.net. I waited 4 1/2 months to get a full kit for a '31 Pontiac with a chop. Haven't installed it yet, but appears to be very well done.

15. 1932roadster

1932roadster

The newer wood kits with Ash (or other hard wood) are really super strong and look great when left exposed.

16. Orange54

Orange54
    from Missouri

I think u have a set of rear fenders for that truck. Check my pics in the classifieds.

17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

JHeez...new perimeter frame...axle out front...

Can't help thinking it'd be sooo slick with a shaved and smooth '32 Chev frame, and semi-elliptic springs. (center bolts could be relocated forward, but imagine that Chevy frame and semi-elliptic springs up front with one of Sid's dropped Chevy axles)

Sorry for frothing at the mouth, 1932...but I have a couple of those Chevy frames, and they are cool and dated! Those springs can be detailed, and thinned down...
    Think about it. Make these guys know it's a Chevy.

18. I like your thinking.....finally someone that wants to keep a chevy a chevy

19. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. Normbc9

Normbc9

I have a family original '32 Sedan (Confederate) and I'm making it my daily driver. Good luck with this find. I think you have gem in the rough.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

21. kevintothej

kevintothej
    from Arizona

22. you would be surprised how easy it is to adapt a T5 to the stock engine, helped a good buddy do it and his is driven everywhere. pm me if your interested in the adaptor details. cool truck.

23. greazy john

greazy john

i built a 33/34 chev p-u stayed with the springs and chev frame up front moved the perches up shortened the shackles and axle over top ,looked cool it is a chev not ford,then z'ed the back...good luck

GREAZY HUBCAPZ CC EAST TENN

24. Kaptain Kustom

Kaptain Kustom
    from Finland

Kind of what I was thinking.
    This would be a great old truck after the wood repair and some overhaul, even with that bed.

I wouldn't cut her up for a 60's style build, but I understand that the OP and me may have different perspectives. In most parts of the world it's just plain impossible to find an original '32 Chevy truck running and in this shape, but I can't know how easy it still is in California (obviously it's at least possible).

25. 1932roadster

1932roadster

Here is the engine that will be going in it:

I stumbled on a guy needing some money fast.

He told me he had an NOS 327/375HP Crate Engine and NOS HP Heads. It was all in his grandfathers garage when he passed away.

I was a bit skeptical but figured I better not pass on at least looking at everything. I drove 40 miles to South San Diego to look at everything.

This is what I scored:

*NOS 327 350HP Crate Partial Engine (L79) (Original GM Crate)
    Dated Sept 16 1965 (Forged Crank, Forged Rods, Forged 11 to 1 Pistons, Cam, Timing Chain and Front Cover)

*NOS 3782461 Fuelie Head Casting (Matched Set) (Original GM Boxes)
    Dated Apr 19 1965 (2.02/1.60, No Valves, Springs or Retainers)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. F&J

F&J

Very nice score. :)

27. 1932roadster......I see in your sig line that you have a RPU and a roadster? Are you the one that was selling the EMI stuff?

28. travisty

travisty
    from just moved

29. 1932roadster

1932roadster

Yes, I have both an EMI Roadster Car Body and a Roadster Pick Up Body.

30. reece

reece
    from NC

That engine is awesome... That is also an incredible find.