Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 3W Coupe Lakes Racer-Thrash for TROG West

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by So-cal Tex, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Oh, yeah! Push bar was designed with a good eye...Bracket looks 'hairy', as described in the 'old days'...

Great call on the '36 'bones, and their hanger spacing...'40 spring and flat member was excellent.
    So nice to pull all the early Henry tech together, as it was there all the time. (albeit took a fair amount of choices and adjusting!)

2. Have you heard back from bobby and Mel yet???? Are you in????

3. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Nice build, look forward to seeing it in Pismo.

4. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Not a word from Bobby and Mel but I am continuing to finish up the car either way, how about you Bruce?

paintslinger805 likes this.
  5. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Well, I got the email from TROG this morning that they really liked the car but since I submitted my entry so late 7-31 ,the last day open ,they were already full at 150 cars...................Disappointed for sure but I am still going to keep plugging away on the car even though the pressure is off.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Bobby stoped by my house and checked out my car. He said I could do an expedition run with grandpa. I don't think he like my new chrome headers. They really want these cars to be 100% time period correct. And I don't think he thought I could finish it by trog time. So we will see, I'm just going to show up and see what happens. Even if you can't run I hope you still bring your car I want to see it and I know lots others would like to for sure. See you there...

hechtspeed and Runnin shine like this.
  7. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Thanks Bruce, I think I will since I already have a room, maybe they will let us make an exhibition pass against each other on the sand???

paintslinger805 and Runnin shine like this.
  8. Runnin shine

Runnin shine
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's ok boys you'll be alright.
    They will never let my car in either. Apparently it's going to be too cool or something ? Maybe that's your problems are as well

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  9. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

The truth is yes I am disappointed I didn't get in but I am going to stay positive and shoot for TROG West 2017 next year.

The best part of this is I got my rear in gear and hammered out a bunch of work on my coupe in preparation for TROG 2016 so I am going to get to drive it soon and start enjoying it.

The way I look at it is this is the FIRST west coast TROG and the reality is California has some of the best traditional cars in the world so it would be tough to pick only 150 of them from all the great applications that came in. So I understand the delima Bobby and Mel are in. I am just glad they doing it on this side of the country because Jersey is way too far for me.

hechtspeed and Runnin shine like this.
  10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'm sorry to hear that, man. Good on the thrash though!

I finally got a call back from my buddy on the run in stand yesterday, and he had no answers there. As far as someone to run it in for you, he mentioned a friend of his, and I can put you in contact with him if you like. Heck, I'd offer my services if you would like, as I have successfully set up a few over the years.

11. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Thanks Chip, I will let you know when I am ready to break in the BIG 296ci Flathead which will probably be in October now.

12. Get that 296ci done by trog and I'll put up my 286ci and we can have a party. On the beach high noon style.:cool:

13. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

That would be fun Bruce, I just got my original Edelbrock 2x2 intake in the mail yesterday so I am excited to get the big Flathead together with the original Edelbrock heads that I have for it.

14. What style is your 2x2 intake high rise or super duel I tried for awhile to find a set of og edelbrock heads but had no luck so I got a set of cyclone heads and a edelbrock regular high rise. Keep hustling car is looking good.

15. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW amazing work and car . Lots of sweat and planning .

16. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

My intake is an early one with the block letters but it is a low rise version so I think I want to put some of those 4" aluminum risers that are on ebay.........I will snap a picture later for everyone because everyone loves to see Flathead speed parts!

Runnin shine likes this.
  17. Yes pictures please. And I buy ya a beer at trog or water soda wine salt water what ever you prefer.

18. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Bruce, I plan on going so I will take you up on the offer for a beer.......here is the intake that showed up for the big flathead, I put a straight edge on it and it wasn't warped so I was happy.

20160817_195632.jpg

19. Runnin shine

Runnin shine
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now get them risers and throw'm in the blasting cabinet to match that beaut!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

So Cal Tex, you might want to look at the San Diego Prowlers web site, just punch in SD Prowlers and it will take you to some history pics and a lot of early racing pic's. if you don't see what your looking for give Andy Beckage a shout or e mail, he's the club's historian and has thousands of early history pic's. I've seen pic's of your deuce with that chop before, and it could have been at the Prowlers Picnic where Andy set's up a booth showing many of the early cars, you could spend a couple of hours at the booth looking at the club's history.

21. D.N.D.

D.N.D.

Is the west coast T.R,O.G. for sure and when is it ?

DND

22. Yes it's for sure. Trog west is oct. 15-16. The tickets are 50 bucks for the weekend. Buy them online at trog web site. Hey SoCal-tex that's a cool intake. So your big 296" is a 8ba? I like the looks of that motor on the stand from the widow. It looks like the fan is connected to the crank.

23. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Yes it is actually a '49 Merc with a 4" crank I got in trade about 8 years ago from a friend, fresh rebuilt and never fired , it is bored to 3 3/8" ( if I remember correctly )with Isky 400 cam , adjustable lifters etc. the one on the stand is 59A I picked up I was told came out of '39 Merc that is why it had the low mount fan. I am planning to put that one in my '31 roadster soon.

24. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

You know I should have just ordered a TCI chassis with a I did it column, and a vega box so I could put my car together with a crescent wrench, but that would be lame so we spent 7 hours using original Henry parts and designing the column support, hanging the '39 Merc cross steer box and fabricating a cool mount to weld the column too and bolt to the toe board
    20160820_150242.jpg
    The lower column mount Nick fabbed up.....
    20160820_121019.jpg
    Here is how it looks when attached to the column
    20160820_144228.jpg
    The drivers side header will have to reworked a little but the plate has threads welded into it and we don't have to hack into the frame boxing, an idea I stole from the famous Cory Taulbert
    20160820_150217.jpg

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  25. waxhead

waxhead
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from West Oz

Nice work, subscribed

26. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I just picked up some aluminum to make the roof insert, we are using 3003 aluminum that is .063 thickness, the plan is make two inserts,both with a crown of course but one smooth and one with louvers like below, that way I can swap them out depending on my mood.

Something like this.....
    TOP INSERT 2 014.jpg

27. hasty

hasty

Looking good!

28. waxhead

waxhead
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from West Oz

Love the insert

29. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

paintslinger805 likes this.
  30. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Do you know who stamps those round top louvers?