Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 3w Build Thread / “Freshening Up”

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by CTaulbert, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Uptown83

Uptown83

Just found you on instagram. Awesome build love it. Cant wait to see the IG progress. What are the front brakes?

2. Great set up on the front shock mount.....I would like to see more of the front top mount. What is it from? or is it home made?

3. Fogger

Fogger

That is an incredible body and I appreciate the direction of the build. I bought my 3W body in '82 at the Pomona Swap and got the full history from the seller. Mine had been a jalopy racer and the doors had at one time been bolted together. I never had a complete original car to build and can say you've found a jewel. Best wishes for a quick completion and I look forward to the end results.

4. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Shooting for it Pete....but we have a lot to do in the next 3 weeks.

5. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Thanks Lynn - we're trying to not really use any off-the-shelf parts.....even the tires have been modified.

There were originally some grommets to protect the battery cable. The ones in the photos are new grommets that I happened to have (they were the right size), but they don't look 100% like the originals did.

We're looking forward to the steering box too!

I'll get some more shots of it. The lower mount is simply two ears welded to the wishbone to create a double shear mount. For the upper, we made a 1/4" plate in the shape of the lever shock that mounts with the same two bolts. Then, we bent F1 upper shock mounts and cut them to meet the shock mount plate. We added a gusset to prevent any fatiguing as well. The upper mount also has a doubler plate that's bolted on the inside of the rail to add some stiffness to the area.

6. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

The brakes are Lincolns from MT Products. The whole setup is from Richard Lacy at the Early V8 Garage. We can't say enough good things about the parts that Richard puts out. Everything literally bolts together for his hydraulic conversion kits, and he balances the hubs and drums too.

7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

If I can be if any help just holler. Dan has my #.

8. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

patiently waiting

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. Cory thanks for sharing pics & info on another awesome build!

10. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

@Fogger - here are some more detailed shots of the front shock mounts (excuse the dust on the car......)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

The engine came in from H&H yesterday, so we got to work prepping it for the install. Basically, we just had to cut the motor mounts off the water pumps, and install the '32 mounts to get it ready. VanPelt built the '39 trans for the car, and it's nothing short of beautiful.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

13. moonlight graham

moonlight graham
    from wyo

Cory,

Did you and Dan have to modify the front mounts to clear the fan belt on the 59AB?
    I might have a set that have already been modified so let me know if you need them.

Geoffrey

14. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Dan picked up a pair of mounts last year that had been clearanced at one point in their life....whoever ground them did a great job.

15. Mart

Mart

I like the camera on the cherrypicker. That's a great idea.

Lots of nice details in this build.

Mart.

16. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

new tire and wheel sizes?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

18. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

The fronts are V8-60 wheels with 5.50-16 Excelsiors, and the rears are Divco wheels that have been widened to 4 1/2" with 7.00-18 Excelsiors. I'm in the process of sanding the sidewalls smooth because the only downside to those Excelsiors is the excessive lettering.....

19. Roadsir

Roadsir

I thought the three window that I picked up from my brother was nice, that car is incredible. Intresting my dash was surface rusted on the face. It looks like yours is blistered bad compared to the rest of the car. I wonder what Henry used for paint.
    Which leaves did you pull?
    Thanks
    Eric

20. Thanks for the information...They look great and should be spot on as far as the look you are going for.
    Thanks

21. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

The front spring was dearched 1", and the main leaf was reversed. We took the top three leaves out right now, and will see how the car sits once it's on the ground. I suspect we may take one of the longer leaves out, but it sits fairly low right now (compared to the fender brace anyway).

22. Roadsir

Roadsir

Alright, thanks for sharing

23. Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

Thank you for the very kind words about our shop and products, Cory. Just the kind of satisfaction we strive for!

Very nice work so far. I really dig those front upper shock mounts you guys made up, especially since they bolt into existing holes in the frame. We always try and find ways to bolt things to existing holes in an attempt to limit or eliminate butchering these old cars.

24. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

We assembled the rear suspension over the past couple of days. The axle is a '33/34 Columbia that was built by Joe Longobardi. We just had to shorten the tube and driveshaft. The brakes are also from the Early V8 Garage, and we picked up some really nice wishbones from Baxter Ford Parts. We still need to put the spring clamps on the rear, and make some shock brackets...but had to roll it outside to see how the car looked.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Cory, way cool.
    Al.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. 462dor

462dor
    from Australia

Very cool!!!

27. rileyrecords25

rileyrecords25
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

28. DaveC28

DaveC28
    from England UK