Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1932 3 window tack strip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodder1932, Aug 24, 2018.

1. hotrodder1932

hotrodder1932
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

United Pacifac now offers a 3 window tack strip in steel. Has anyone had any experience with it? Brookville' stack strip is aluminum. I have used the aluminum one before but I am interested to hear anyone's experience with United Pacifacs.
    I also have a 3 window seat with no tracks. Is there an aftermarket track or junkyard set of tracks that would help me out? Thanks

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. xix32

xix32

I bought a UP formed steel one for my 5W, I would assume the 3W would be the same in the cross section, just shaped different to match the 3W. I also had the straight sections of the extruded aluminum. Knowing how difficult it would be to form the aluminum pieces around the corners, I spent the $ 400. for the UP formed steel tack strip.
    They shipped their $ 400. product to me sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard. The shipper bent it ( of course). I could have fixed the bent areas easy enough. But the main problem with their tack strip is the upside down "hat" section is too deep. So what happens is that it bottoms out down in the channel where the tacks go before the side flanges set tight against the roof & insert material. The other annoying flaw is the tack strip is buckled on the inside of the formed bends. I sure wasn't expecting that. So after evaluating all my options, and considering the fact that the aluminum extruded straight lengths had the correct depth cross section, I built my own form tools for the aluminum sections. I had to build two form dies because the front and rear corners are different radius. I know Up made theirs in roll form tooling, why couldn't they get it right ! you can ding and dolly the ripples out of the formed corners, but for $ 400 the channel depth should be correct. See if you can get UP to give you a short sample piece before you waste $ 400. on the whole thing. The problem there is that they won't retail their product, you have to buy it from one of their distributors. Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    Kiwi 4d likes this.
  3. krylon32

krylon32
    Alliance Vendor
    from Nebraska

I used the UP tack strip on my 5 window and it appears to have worked good. Mine fits tight in the channel against the roof edge. I'm no professional but my upholster said it was a challenge. He'll get another shot at it as he neglected to glue the foam and vinyl down to the Masonite under layment I used instead of chicken wire and now every time you drive it any distance on a warm day the top appears to be 8 months pregnant. He thought the tight stretch would be enough. After all the deuces I've had it the first time this has happened.

4. swifty

swifty

xix32 I bought my UPAC tack strip from my local Aussie distributor and it came in a special box with a heavy cardboard insert which had grooves cut in it to accept the formed pieces. Packaging was perfect.
    Have trial fitted it and seems OK with no problems like you mention, my 5w is a UPAC body though.

Register now to get rid of these ads!