Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1931 Plymouth Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 31oval, Sep 26, 2020.

1. -Brent-

-Brent-

I disagree with this. Usually I don't respond but I actually applaud him for ignoring it because he asked for advice about wheels and most posters got distracted by the numbers 327 and then gave an opinion that had nothing to do with what he asked.

Let's not assume he has no common sense. If the brakes suck after he swaps in the drivetrain of his choice, it's a simple upgrade.

2. 31oval

31oval

The only Question I asked was about upgrading the wheels.What advise am I ignoring? I appreciate all the advise that these guys are giving me so chill out.

mctim64, Rickybop and VANDENPLAS like this.
  3. The early 30s cars regardless of the make are rolling art. A nice unmolested car is nice to see and drive. Either way you go you can't loose. Have fun with it.

carothersbs, 31oval and -Brent- like this.
  4. gene-koning

gene-koning

In answer to your question, I don't believe the wire wheels are going to take much hot rodding. I also believe the wire wheels need to have tubes in them, the wheels are pretty narrow, and bigger tires are probably not available. Gene

5. Nice.

You don't like the wire wheels?

What might you put on it?

6. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Good luck, make it yours. Nice lines on those cars

-Brent- likes this.
  7. 31oval

31oval

I am thinking of some old school American Torque Thrusts or plain steelies with moon caps.

-Brent- likes this.
  8. trevorsworth

trevorsworth

5 spokes don't look all that good on these 30s cars in my opinion. Can't go wrong with smoothies or moon caps.

This car looks like a nice survivor. I know you didn't ask for opinions on the engine, but if you think you might want to go the V8 route, consider a Plymouth poly. Otherwise a later flathead 6 or even a sixties 225 slant six would be cool...

I am a pretty young dude and I have seen Chevy engines stuffed where they don't belong all my life. I find them a little boring. I know why dudes use them and respect it but with 30s cars, especially anything that isn't a Ford, you aren't going to get away without at least some custom fabrication.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  9. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. The Edgy stuff looks & is great but last time I checked they had ran out and were going to have to recast more of everything. Likely will have to get some orders as casting a bunch is very expensive for a small company. Look here to view all their stuff - MOPAR MONTANA EDGY Plymouth Flathead engine parts Another source for the old flathead engines including the 218 & 230 Mopar's is Jack Clifford' Performance Products inc. - Headers Intakes Cams For Inline Six Cylinder Engines, Inl That is Clifford stuff shown in my avitar photo here on my 236 Chevy 6. Then for stock items for your car look here - https://www.kanter.com
    Start a build thread & keep us updated with what you are updating.
    The old Dodge & Plymouth engines had the 23" long head while Desoto & Chrysler engines had a 25" head.
    Good luck & keep us updated, Jimmie

j hansen likes this.
  10. hkestes

hkestes
    from Plano, TX

Langdon's Stove Bolts is a good source for flathead Mopar "speed" parts as well.

11. vintage power wagon in iowa has a huge selection of parts for early mopar 6s.

12. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

31oval, nice car and it sounds like you got a great plan. There's nothing wrong with a 327 and a 4 gear.

As far as wheels, I would guess you need to upgrade the rear end if you’re running the SBC. I would figure that out first. So you buy wheels with the right bolt circle for the upgraded rear end.

For the guys freaking out about the brakes. How many of us are running 40 Ford drums? They can't be worlds ahead of the 31 Plymouth brakes. Again, like Brent said, once he has more power he can upgrade later if he wants.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    -Brent- likes this.