Register now to get rid of these ads!

1931 pickup interior size

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Michael_e, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Michael_e

Michael_e

I'm really close to closing the deal for a 1931 Ford pickup. It will be a long build. But the bigger question, will i be able to fit inside because i'm 6' 1" tall and 240 lbs? Any of you guys this same size and have a 1931 pickup? How well do you fit inside? Are there any tricks to gain more room? I want this to be a full fendered style truck, maybe shorten the bed a little. I've thought about choping the top but that may not be good for headroom.

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I'm 5'6" and it was OK for me...I've seen big guys in 'em tho...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I'm 5'5" and 175. I was thinking about buying a '34 P/U. My buddy has one and suggested I sit in his before I decide. It was cramped and decided not to buy as I take long drives in my car (150+).

4. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I'm 5'10" and 250 last time my 34 pu was on the road. it was chopped and channeled at the time. 36 inches floorboard roof. tight, but doable. requires flexiblity and a seat mounted directly to the floor. I'm currently re-doing the truck and have just about convinced myself to de-chanel it. I prefer the looks channeled, but I'm not getting any younger. I imagine the a is a smaller. food for thought.

5. waytooslow

waytooslow

I don't know about the size of the interior but my little brother chopped and channeled a 54 truck and moved the frame to lower the floor to the bottom of the frame he is 6'4

6. I'm about your size, (210 x 6-1) and what I found that helped was to buy a thinner seat backrest.
    Made a bunch of difference getting in, and once in, gave good seating position and leg room.
    Still have the stock wheel, so a smaller dia. Would help even more.
    Bought it and the bottom from a modelA upholstery guy out of Arkansas.

7. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

About your same size. My '34 is close but not uncomfortable. Yes a thinner seat back would help a lot.

Attached Files:

8. I drive a 32 pickup which ain't much bigger than a Model A and about 39 years go I drove a Model A pickup,,I ain't any shorter than I was at that time 6'4" although I weigh about 40 lbs more now.

It's a snug fit and seat placement is imperative,,I have driven over 500 mikes in one day and I won't do that again in the pickup. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  9. [​IMG]
    It will be tight but where there's a will a lower and thinner seat it's not to bad.

10. trollst

trollst

The short answer, yes you'll get in it, but you're too big for it and will never be comfortable.

11. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

I'm 5'10" and was wanting a A pu until I got in one. No way I'd try driving it too long very long or very fast. Not a comfortable position.

Decided that it wasn't meant to be until I tried on a 'glass "extended" cab. Now I'm dreaming again.:cool:

12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm 6'2", 225#, and add to that a back condition. I have a 31 and without the upper cushion, or seat back, it's too far back to be comfy. Getting in and out is a bit tweeky but worth the effort. I think mine's a bit easier to get in because the seat cushions are wrong (roadster) and will get a bit tighter with the right ones that have squared off edges. I'm building 2 seat back cushions. A thin one with dense foam for me to drive, then the stocker for Mrs Highlander when she drives as the lowers don't adjust. Would drive it from MI to FL? Probably not...

13. 36tbird

36tbird

I've got a '36 pickup and I'm 250 and 6'. I've assigned myself to a "2 hour butt limit" in the truck because of the size.

14. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

HI; I have driven my chopped Model A pickup 750 miles to Bonneville in 13 hours many times. that being said,when I get there, it takes the rest of the week to straighten out for the drive home! Im 5-10 220 lbs and a 62 year old cripple, gotta build something bigger!!! THANKS Chris

15. This is what a 6'4" guy looks like folded up and in the small confines of a Deuce pickup,,where there is a will there is a way,,at 63 years old and a bad leg I don't do too many long hauls in the pickup anymore. HRP

[​IMG]

The knee sticking up is mine.:D HRP

16. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

I'm 6'2" and 240 lb. I have a 34 pickup which is bigger than the 31 and its a snug fit. 150 mile trip is o.k. but tight. You won't fit in the 31 very well. Just my 2 cents. I don't know how the guys do it in chopped and channeled trucks. But they do look good. Gary

17. The 33/34 have more leg room due to the firewall being pushed out approximately 2 inches. HRP

18. Michael_e

Michael_e

Thanks for all the replys and suggestions.
    So,

1931 pickup + 6' 1" 240lb guy = short drives and a bit all wadded up inside.

1934 pickup - a little better because of extended firewall.

Now, i know this would be a boatload of work, but would it be possible to extend the cowl, right behind the firewall a couple inches on the 1931 to gain more room inside? And still look good on the outside?

19. I think if it were me I'd extend the cab just to the rear of the door opening.

20. The only thing you would gain is a few inches of leg room..I suggest low seat,thin seat back and higher than normal steering.

If you decide to push the firewall out you start limiting the engine choices,,possibly a V6,,generally there are firewall modifications to be made and you loose leg room on the interior with a V8. HRP

21. Michael_e

Michael_e

I've got a reasonably good idea of what i would be getting into and it would be a huge amount of work, but....

As Sidevalve8ba said to add some length right behind the door opening and as HOTRODPRIMER says that extending the firewall forward would limit engine options, lets try this...

First, shorten the pickup bed, say 5 inches, extend the firewall forward 2 inches, add 2 inches behind the doors, and also use a lower seat cushion and a thinner back cushion. I still want this to look like a 1931 pickup. Do you think these addition of length would mess up the proportions of the pickup and, well, make it ugly?

I really want an early pickup, but i ain't getting any younger (current-63) and the bones don't like being all wadded up in a small space for very long. I want to be able to drive this truck for long-250 miles trips without a huge amount of joint pain. Thoughts???

22. I don't think adding a few inches behind the door would hurt but I might suggest adding the same amount to the frame where the rear fender won't be to close to the back of the cab. HRP

23. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

I have the '31 sport coupe pickup in my avatar. I am 6', 235. I figure you "wear" a model A pickup. I just walk in and then turn to the front. Once I am in drivers seat, I'm fine. Only hang up is I can't run a long shift lever like I want, have a short one that is behind my knee. And at 70 I sure not traveling more than an hour or two anyplace. But it is a blast to drive. Guess it is a personal decision, I know the guy I bought it from got rid of it after a couple of years as he wanted something that you open the door and flop into the seat. he got a '61 Chev tudor hardtop, four speed car. Maybe when I get older I'll want that too!

24. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I'm 6'-1, it's a tight fit. For a seat back, I have a piece of plywood with 1.5" foam which gained some space and is comfortable. I have a stock style seat spring which gets uncomfortable after a while. The biggest issue is placement of pedals, versus comfort. Mine has a Buick V-6 with a stock firewall. I have to bend down slightly if I'm the first car at a light, I wouldn't chop it.

25. I agree. I am 5'-8" tall and my 1928 Model A pickup was torture to sit in and be comfortable. The main reason I did not feel so bad about selling it.

26. Michael_e

Michael_e

Thanks for the link Gasser 57. I never really had thought of going that route. That sure gives me a lot more ideas now.
    And thanks to everyone else for ideas and suggestions.
    Also, olcurmdgeon- "And at 70 I sure not traveling more than an hour or two anyplace. But it is a blast to drive. Guess it is a personal decision, I know the guy I bought it from got rid of it after a couple of years as he wanted something that you open the door and flop into the seat. he got a '61 Chev tudor hardtop, four speed car. Maybe when I get older I'll want that too!" I got a real good laugh on that last sentence.

27. mel smith

mel smith
    from georgia

I'm 5'-9", 235 and 69. Have a 31 PU. Made seat with 2" back rest and will adjust the clutch and brake pedal as far forward as possible. I had also had an A pickup in high school. The same body style was much bigger then, Ha Ha.

Attached Files:

28. Wildfire

Wildfire

If you really want one, consider the brookville extended cab version.

29. After reading the replies, I went out and got in mine to double check. The hardest part is getting your left foot in after your right foot and body are in. The conflict is getting your left foot in between the seat corner and door jamb. Once in, it was pretty comfortable.
    The pedals might need heating and moving up to give some more foot room, but it wasn't bad for a stocker.