Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1931 photo, ID the car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big A, Jun 30, 2020.

1. A cousin found this photo of his father, taken in Canada in 1931. Pretty dapper fella, great shot. I don't know if he's posing there or just trying to keep his ass warm during a cold Manitoba winter.

He asked me to ID the car. I'm guessing it's fairly new, so 31 or maybe 29 or 30, I'm guessing it hasn't been modified.

Well, there's no visor (and various other reasons), it's not a Model A or a Chevy. It looks like there are bead lines around the front of the fenders, but not peaked like a Nash. Wrong shape for a Willys, Overland or REO. Big headlights, but it's not an Oldsmobile, Buick, or McLaughlin. Not a Frontenac. Not a Studebaker. Not a Durant. Bumpers and over riders aren't Chrysler... or Dodge... or Plymouth. Looking through to the rear window it looks like a coupe, but it might be a pickup, although that fancy attired gent doesn't look like a pickup kinda guy, I seem to recall he was an office exec big muckity muck of some sort. It doesn't look like a sedan.

I could be wrong on any or all of the above, but I'm kinda leaning towards Hudson/Essex?

[​IMG]

This is where someone points out something really, stupidly obvious, right? :D

kidcampbell71 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  2. Even though he is sitting on the radiator he looks very tall or the car is small. Headlights don,t look to far apart and can hardly see the rear fenders so maybe smaller track than a model A .

3. rusty valley

rusty valley

i agree, car is small. Austin?

dana barlow likes this.
  4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Looks English as in UK built to me

5. If he was as tall as his son he was probably 6' 4", but it looks like you're onto something with the small car theory... 1931 American Austin...

[​IMG]

The HAMB never ceases to amaze.

34 GAZ, lurker mick and 31Dodger like this.
  6. Yes, Only one headlight working which points to LUCAS electrics. It,s British, :rolleyes::D

VANDENPLAS and Just Gary like this.
  7. That is exactly what it is.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. 5CA47523-8539-4AC4-925E-CC28A56F021F.gif

34 GAZ likes this.
  9. I have to say yes. The Model A Slant Window did not have a visor though so could not be ruled out but the overall stature of the vehicle leads to the stated American Austin.