Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1931 Model A front suspension help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kool49, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Kool49

Kool49

I need some guidence sugestions on putting together a descent budget front suspension under my 31 ford model A.

If i can utalize anything i have currently (stock )it is now.

I would like some drop to it and disc brakes , im open to using used parts as well as long as they are in very good usable condition .
    Trying to keep cost down as low as possible .

Not posting this here to buy but for suggestions on what i could use .And where i may get the parts from ?

Thanks

2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

de arch the spring, i think you can get disc adaptors for the stock axle, even get the axle dropped if you wanna drop some coin.
    its not a bad suspension if you just freshen it all up

3. Kool49

Kool49

what is the differences in the front end assemblys from Speedway motors im thinking of buying the #916-39516 47" I beam axle .But what disc brake /spindle kit do i need to get ? Im seeing them 46" and 48" axles ???? Im a bit confused on this one . Also i want to run the vega steering box .

4 3/4 bolt pattern is the standard chevy correct ?

4. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

If you're trying to save money and be on a budget, ordering those parts from speedway isn't how to do it.

5. Kool49

Kool49

I have a budget yea , but i wanna do it as good as i can afford .

What do you suggest ?

6. bgaro

bgaro

i suggest reversing your spring eyes and running '40 juice drums on your existing A axle and spindles.

7. Kool49

Kool49

That would be cool , but im going to be running a bigblock chevy with 700R tranny . Gonna be alot of weight , plus i wanted to drop it a bit in the front . Any pics of how this was done so i can get some ideas ?

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The simple way would be to reverse the eyes on the front spring. After that send your stock axle off to one of our Hambers who drops axles. I think the going rate for a Model A axle is around 250 and you pay the freight both ways.

Add a set of 40 style spindles and a disk brake setup and you have it pretty close to done.

9. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

Speedway is the hot rodder's WalMart. Good reliable parts at a decent price, been using them for 25 years. If you are going with the GM 4 3/4 bolt pattern, you can use their 11" rotor brake kit 910-31942 fit right on '37-'48 Ford spindles. You can use stock or bolt on steering arms with this kit. Do some searches here on the H.A.M.B. for a lot of info on your A-bone project.

10. rpu28

rpu28
    from Austin

If you're running fenders, I guess the discs are OK. If not, I'd use F1 front brakes or some of the Lincoln repros if you don't mind the price.

11. Kool49

Kool49

no fenders at all and yes i do mind the price .

12. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

This is exactly what I would do.

Plus splitting the bones to fit that huge motor in there.

13. Quote; "That would be cool , but im going to be running a bigblock chevy with 700R tranny"
    So this isn't really a Budget build. You just want to be a little Thrifty when it comes to buying parts.
    The Wizzard

14. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

15. classic gary

classic gary

I guess in a way I'm bragging, but it's just proof the stuff is out there.
    I paid approx. $300.00 for a '32 axle, drilled, with Buick finned aluminum drum brakes completely assembled, with a '32 spring and split bones. And the guy delivered it.
    The stuff is out there, just keep your eyes open.
    I am getting the axle dropped, and I did reverse the spring eyes, those are the BIG expenses so far. (I squeak when I walk, LOL).
    Oh, and this is holding up a blown SBC/Muncie 4speed, (weighs about the same as a BBC), in my 28 A. I'm not a bit worried about "capacity or ability" of the parts to do their jobs.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  16. fortynut

fortynut

Love that traditional 7004r trans. Jus' kiddin'. Buy one of the readily available USA forged aftermarket front axles, @ about $250, a new reversed eye spring @ $100 & add some forty spindles from HAMB classifieds, along with F100 backing plates, brakes & drums as these are a good low buck solution to self-energizing brakes (or as mentioned a kit from Speedway). You also need to think of a steering box solution along with splitting the bones. Keep in mind even the old timers didn't like model A frames for Flathead V8's, so some of that mini budget should be to do some work on the frame --- like boxing it so when you tromp it and come home one side of it isn't like a parallelogram. In my view you're looking through the wrong end of the telescope. Frame first, then add suspension components that will work. Just sayin'...............

17. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Your BBC weighs about, what, 650lbs +/- ? If I'm not mistaken, a Flathead weighs about 550lbs +/- so you're looking at about 100lbs over what an average AV8 would be carrying.

Your transmission, i'm guessing, weighs about 160lbs +/- vs. (again, guessing) about 130lbs +/- for an old 3 spd. So now you're only up to 130lbs over what a Flathead to 3 spd Model A would be carrying.

Also, the curb weight of an early 50's F1 should be around 3250lbs. Your Model A build could probably still beat that by 1000lbs with the engine/trans you want to run.

... so, assuming my numbers are close, just run the F1 brakes and don't put a passenger seat in there if you're still worried ;)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
    xRoadsteRx likes this.
  18. Kool49

Kool49

No it was some what of a budget , sold my Harley to build this so my over all cash was 10K , car cost $4200 delivered to me .Front end and brakes $1350.00 Big block and 700R and misc parts cool stuff $1000. 3/16 boxing kit for frame $230.00. Balsting frame and body cost me $325.00. Welder and misc welder stuff $850. 9" ford minus centersection $150 housing fits car perfect though. Body panels $375.00 and misc stuff. So im close to the end of my budget im sure i have forgoten a few things here . But anyways yes this is a budget build , friends helped alot with engine and tranny . It just needs cleaned up and driopped in .

So now its more labor and all the small stuff that ads up real quick.

19. Kool49

Kool49

Just got my 30 A frame back from blaster today , have 3/16 boxing kit to be welded in real soon . So i will be searching threads on a good way to do this at home without the pleasure of having a frame jig or a nice heavy table to clamp it down to . I basically have to do it here on the floor the best i can .

20. bgaro

bgaro

also cross member? what ya gonna do there?

21. ty johnson

ty johnson

I still have those 37-41 wishbones/spindles a hell of a lot cheaper and Henry made for $150. Add the disc brake kit to them and you've saved a lil. just sayin.

Ty

22. Bluedot

Bluedot

23. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Rather than risk warping the frame check out craigslist for a steel beam or some such structure. That's what I did, cost me $50. Cut the beam in half, tacked the frame to the beams and had at it...

...false economies really are just that, in the long run they cost more...

Best of luck

24. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

This is a great idea. Add some screw jacks to get level and go to town! I'll probably do this too as my floor is cracked and uneven.

25. Kool49

Kool49

Was thinking of using the one that it is in the frame . Its in very good condition . Looks as if its been replaced at some time looks new compared to rest of frame . But im now thinking of getting the $60 crossmember from SW that will give me another 2" of drop . Just got my front suspension the other day so i need to start on boxing this frame in.

26. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I have the crossmember that SoCal makes on my build. If you don't think you have a stock front crossmember and the one that's in there is in good shape, you may want to save that money.

[​IMG]

27. Kool49

Kool49

Well here is my front end so far , i like the way it turned out .

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      147 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      145.1 KB
      Views:
    • 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      151.7 KB
      Views:
    • 018.JPG
      018.JPG
      File size:
      151.7 KB
      Views:
    • 019.JPG
      019.JPG
      File size:
      161.9 KB
      Views:
  28. xwing01

xwing01

looks good man

29. Kool49

Kool49

Thanks Zac

30. You might think about switching the lower shock mounts,,I believe they would work better. HRP