Register now to get rid of these ads!

1931 Model A frnt axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by abefromen, Mar 27, 2013.

1. abefromen

abefromen

I'm new to early Fords and want to know more about this car. Is this a stock front axle on this '31 that has disc brakes added?

Attached Files:

• 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      542 KB
      Views:
  2. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I would say it looks more like a 33-36 front axle...but I could be wrong

3. Carter

Carter

Looks to be a 47-8 axle and wishbone. Best I can tell from that picture.

4. chubbie

chubbie

tough to see Abe, but it doesnt look like a "A" axle to me. looks more like '40- maybe 48. yes the disk were added. Get us a better picture and get some measurements

5. abefromen

abefromen

Unfortunately that's the only pic I have. It's a car I may be doing a trade for but want to know more about the front end. It sits real high and wide.....not to mention the radiator doesnt fit the shell,lol.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  6. abefromen

abefromen

7. Carter

Carter

I am almost certain that is a 47-8 axle and wishbone. The spindles are either 37-41 or 42-8 (most likely). It appears to have a cross steer box of some type. I'd guess the radiator was not meant for that shell either.

8. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Don't know what it IS, but know what it isn't. Not a '31 as they didn't have tube shocks, or mounting provisions like that for them.

9. 117harv

117harv

48 is the only year with the shock mount hole and smaller recess in the end?

10. flatford39

flatford39

Looks like a 46- 48 axle to me as well. If you are asking if you could put in an original Model A axle to make the track width right yes you can & I suspect that you could use all the disc brake parts and spindles from the 46 48 axle and make it work. Radiator looks like one of those aftermarket chinese aluminum ones that are being sold on ebay pretty cheap. Maybe if it was painted radiator black it would look better.

I would get a dropped A axle and redo it correctly. 3.5" drop with reversed eye spring A spring would get it looking right.

What kind of drive train does that thing have??

11. abefromen

abefromen

The only info Ive got so far is 355 with TH350 and "3 link" rear suspension.

I just don't know much about early Ford A's so Im trying to educate myself a bit before taking the 100 mile trek to check it out.

12. abefromen

abefromen

I would do that for sure because it's way too high and wide as it sits.

13. F&J

F&J

Shitcanning the disc setup will pull the wheels way in. Look at the scrub radius the way it is..:rolleyes:.

If you are Ok with the height and If the tires don't hit the bones on tight turns, and if it has a good turning radius,.... I'd keep that axle, and go to drums.

14. abefromen

abefromen

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      526.3 KB
      Views:
  15. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

That axle in the Model A is not what is causing the front end to be that high. A 48 axle has more drop than a Model A axle.

As others have said, drums will make it narrower.

Neal

16. abefromen

abefromen

Thanks for everyone's input. If I do get this A it will need to sit lower all around and the wheels pulled in. Even in the back they stick out too far.

17. Carter

Carter

I guess it really just depends on what you want in a model A. If you like the way it looks and it's safe and functional, then go for it. If you'd want to change much more than the front axle, tires, wheels, you may want to find something else to start with unless the price is stupid cheap.
    I'd take a good look at the three link rear suspension to make sure it's not cobbled together, binding, non functional crap.

I've seen lots of multilink suspensions that looked ok, but were neither safe nor functional.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

18. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)The deep dish wheel make it wider, The headlights:confused: look in trouble bolted directly to the shell.:(:eek: The left headlight is banging on the fender,

19. F&J

F&J

That side view; the car looks like it was in nice condition before it was built. The lower body edge looks good as well as the door gaps. They even got the rear axle centered :)

Nice car to upgrade or change to suit yourself.

20. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Reversing the front spring will give it some drop.

Part of the problem may be the small diameter of the wheel which make the wheelwell look empty.

Neal

21. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

It needs a light bar and a grill screen to look right, It would look 100% better with bumpers. Those front tires look like old fashion SNOW tires,

Attached Files:

22. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The wishbone is 46-48 with the front perches cut off. You could get a model A axle and have it dropped an use it with the wishbones and spindles/brakes. You would have to use the correct front spring for the axle.

23. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

A stocker;):):Can you believe it? , The first one I see is the same color !!!!! Henry Ford said he was good with any color as long as it was black,,,, Are we havin fun yet ?

Attached Files:

24. abefromen

abefromen

It does look like a real good start and if I do get it, upgrading it and improving it to my tastes is exactly what I'd do. Interior and trunk are real nice!

25. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:) I agree ,,,;):D