Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1931 Model A Coupe Y-Block Build (Father&Son)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by NathanxStewart, Jan 4, 2016.

1. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I bobtailed my 1928A,it was crashed in rear,an as a teenager I just off the bad an built the good part. Intake is cut up driveshaft to make 4x2s. My updates over the years are adding yellow to inside,making chrome headers,an went to Alt. Also had to replace the steering colomn n wheel.

001 (4).JPG rearView1.jpg srufsideShow121315.jpg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  2. Wait sorry that's what I used for something else on the car, I got them mixed up haha. For the rear end I used DuPont Chroma Base and then clear
    View attachment 3322116

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  3. Hmm that's a possibility! I'll look up some early dodge dash photos and see if I can figure anything out. Yeah I need to get on here more often haha, I post all of the detailed shots on here cause it's easier to upload multiple pictures at once!

Tim likes this.
  4. Woahhh, that's awesome!! Bummer to hear about it getting rear ended. Intake sounds very interesting, any pictures of it? No big deal if you don't. Very cool car!

dana barlow likes this.
  5. cretin

cretin

6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I did thread on my last restore some time ago,an it has some 4x2 intake stuff in it. About the bottom of page you can see a video of how they run. ; http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...y-hotrod-28a-from-1959-rebuild.793393/page-15

NathanxStewart and loudbang like this.
  7. Yeah I just looked and didn't see anything that would fit the notches either. Maybe there was just a trim ring that fit the notches? The closest is the '28 Nash, the '28 Pontiac and '28 Oakland are similar but they have arches in the notches so I doubt those are it. Thank you for looking and sending me that website though!! Very cool site.

loudbang, cretin and dana barlow like this.
  8. Very cool Dana, love the story. Thanks for sharing!! That picture of the roadster in '59 is too cool. Also I really like your sons Model T!! Your roadster seems to run pretty strong! Haha

loudbang and dana barlow like this.
  9. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

You can tell,I think you picked a very cool motor for you an your son,a best of times fun together time.

NathanxStewart likes this.
  10. Before and after of the 272 Ford Y Block.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1473726535.435747.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1473726594.312840.jpg

This engine was given to me by a friend of ours, came out of a running stock '55 ford. I'm going to run this block in my coupe while I rebuild my 292 Y Block which will be a little more hopped up. It'll be bored .060 over, have 11:1 compression, ECZ-G heads, and a pretty radical cam.

11. Had the frame powder coated along with the front end and a bunch of other pieces at Street Werkz in Columbus Ohio, they do great work!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1473808869.571557.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1473808908.422117.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1473808955.078713.jpg

Tim, kidcampbell71, Jeff34 and 7 others like this.
  12. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

That thing is looking awesome. Would love to take a ride in it when finished. Having owned several yblocks with assorted hopup levels I can attest to how much power they can make. Those tires while be smoking all the time! should be lots of fun.

13. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Looking really nice. Curious, why did you powder instead of paint ? All the stories I've heard about chips that allow moisture to get in and the powder coming off. ???

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. metal man

metal man

You can't believe everything you hear, and it REALLY depends on who is doing the work, and how much pride they take in their work. The mass produced parts we see, where the powder coating falls off...that stuff is made of hot rolled steel. The parts are not prepared correctly (sandblasted ). The biggest offender seems to be trailer hitches. Josh at Streetwerkz is one of us ( actually a hamber ). He takes great pride in his work. Everything is thoroughly blasted and cleaned, unlike other local powdercoaters. Nathan and I usually do our own blasting anyway. Our parts are virtually polished before we take them to Josh, and then blasted for adhesion. They have been doing chassis around here for a long time, including a lot of mine, and many for friends of ours. No one has any complaints.
    To answer your question, though, we had a lot of parts powder coated to save time. While those parts were getting blasted and powder coated, we did a lot of work on the body and other items. Also, with the price of good automotive paint, we almost can't paint it ourselves for what Nathan paid Josh.
    Powder coating is just like anything else...you get what you pay for, and you have to find the right place to do it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Thanks for the info. I'm deciding on paint or powder for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. metal man

metal man

I wouldn't try to persuade you one way or the other. The truth is, most of our stuff gets sandblasted, epoxy primed, and painted right here in our shop. Weigh all the benefits of each before you decide, but do your homework on the powder coater you choose too. Anything will fail prematurely if not prepared correctly, and after many years of experience with both, I know the steps to take for good, reliable results, and I'm trying to pass that on to Nathan.
    Another thing I didn't mention is the space problem. This kid is already taking up a huge chunk of my shop with this project....if he painted ALL this stuff in there, I wouldn't be able to work! It was nice that the frame and a lot of other pieces disappeared for a while, and when we brought it all home, Nathan assembled his whole chassis by himself in two evenings after work.

17. metal man

metal man

Another thing....if you get parts powder coated, talk to them about blasting media. Streetwerkz doesn't actually use sand in their blaster. They have learned that garnet works much better with their process (nicer results), so if we are to have parts powder coated, we use garnet also.
    I especially like to get small parts powder coated because they are a pain to paint.

18. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

19. Roger53

Roger53

Looking good as always . Roger

20. We can arrange a ride no problem!! Haha thank you, I can't wait. Itll be a blast!

loudbang likes this.
  21. Thank you roger!!

22. It always feels good to see the chassis sitting on its own four feet for the first time. The next major step (for me) is hearing the engine run. It's music to my ears! :)

23. loudbang

loudbang

Those skinny rear tires will be going up in smoke LOL.

24. Keep it up, great to see it coming together. Still watching

25. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

26. Definitely a good feeling! I can't wait to hear it run

27. Hahah I hope not, they cost a lot of money!!

loudbang likes this.
  28. Thank you! It's getting there

29. Engine is in!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1474842806.320167.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1474842858.206024.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1474842947.570042.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1474843011.867842.jpg

I swear the engine is red, it just looks orange under the shop lights haha