Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1931 Ford 3W Build "Marilyn"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DylanHill1931, Nov 14, 2016.

1. loudbang

loudbang

Works good. Makes it even clearer what you were doing to the posts.

DylanHill1931 likes this.
  2. Good deal will be posting more videos

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  3. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] bye bye old roof top getting it ready to be blasted splitting apart the body and figured I wasn't gonna use that roof anyways so it's up for grabs!

4. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] was lucky enough to be invited to be in the 4th of July Parade with my 55 and while I was waiting with all the other car guys I walked down the road and saw the Cape Henry Model A Club and took some much needed pics of the rumble seat/trunk deck lid area, I will be making mine a rumble seat for 2 reasons eventual kids and I can still take the seats out and use it as a trunk so I took some pics and figured I'd ask if it looked original!? It did to me, I know the hinge on the deck lid is right just looked like square tubing with a mounting hole and was able to separate the body and cut off the gutters since they were badly rusted to get blasted next step is to drill the spot welds on the gutters on the roof and separate it as well to be blasted and primed

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    oliver westlund and loudbang like this.
  5. [​IMG][​IMG] so I was working on the coupe last night and my dad said the guy around the corner that was helping him put the new rearend in his panel truck had some '32 Ford wheel wells that he's not gonna use so he said let's roll over and look the guy doesn't have a steel 32 but does have a few more hotrods but these are Brookeville patches and seem pretty nice! What y'all think of 32 wheel wells in an A they fit almost perfect just gotta trim the bottom some

6. [​IMG] sent Everything except the hood over to get sandblasted by a local guy who does hotrods a lot and has a 49 chev suburban and a phaeton in line said it will be a couple weeks before he gets to it but it's in a shipping container so it's out of the elements and then it will be taken to a buddy of mine and my dads and we're gonna get the whole body together and tacked (doors opening and rumble working) gonna do a guys night with it tuesdays and possibly thursdays! and then it will go back to the shop where I will continue it myself! Very excited! [​IMG]

7. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] all sandblasted and a light coat of primer![​IMG] and just got the quarter patches in the mail today!

8. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] well yesterday was pretty cool, got to see what the quarters would look like with two of the 3 patches on! They're just clamped for right now but I really dig the 32 wheel wells and they fit perfect! Who would have thought?!? Still need to buy the rear bottom corners but it looks good so far! And also picked up this 27 T roadster cowl for a future speedster project after getting to drive a fellas yesterday I got the bug haha!

9. atch

atch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really love A wheel wells, but if I were doing what you're doing; on the low budget you say; and had the '32 wheel wells; I'd use them in a heartbeat. Have been and will continue to be watching over your shoulder.

10. [QUOTE="atch,

I really love A wheel wells, but if I were doing what you're doing; on the low budget you say; and had the '32 wheel wells; I'd use them in a heartbeat. Have been and will continue to be watching over your shoulder.[/QUOTE]

I do too they have a good look to them and thank you I appreciate it and couldn't pass them up for the price! Thank You sorry for the slow progress on it I'll try to get over there some more now that my pops knee surgery went well and he's back on his feet!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  11. ozstuff

ozstuff

You understate your skills, thank you and please keep sharing with us as you proceed.
    Oz

loudbang and DylanHill1931 like this.
  12. Haha I try not to overthink or underestimate the task at hand and thank you will do!

loudbang likes this.
  13. [​IMG] well I think we have a problem my pops and I just got this 28-29 ford roadster body less the doors... I really need to stop haha

14. Just curious here, anybody on here ever seen '32 wheel wells in an A? I wonder if Brian Bass's coupe has them?would like to see how they look in a done coupe body

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

15. with the right tire's they look just like a big "you can't see most of them"

brEad, loudbang and D-Russ like this.
  16. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I know it's not my coupe but a couple more pics of the roadster body discovered the cowl is a coupe cowl that someone cut to fit lol but still got the rear half that's a true roadster so I'm happy not sure what I'll be doing with it as of now but couldn't pass on the price okay back to the 3 Window now!

17. Sad news about the roadster did some digging and discovered that it is actually a 28-29 ford coupe with the top unbolted which explains the cowl so I sold it to a friend who doesn't care and will still make a roadster outta it ha! Back to the coupe! Will be jumping on to the sub rail extensions in the cowl area next. Cutting them out and either fixing the rust or making new rails from scratch as I'm not paying 230$ for 24" of metal

oliver westlund, loudbang and D-Russ like this.
  18. Also decided to use one of the Model AA truck frames as they are a lot stronger, wider and resembles a '32 frame! Will look for a picture

19. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] okay so got over and took some pics of the AA frame the one outside is my dads for his blown Sbc sedan and the rails I'll be using standing upright!

oliver westlund and loudbang like this.
  20. the pass side subrail extension did Not want to come out but I got it did more damage then I would have liked to but can hammer back out I couldn't leave the rust in there...so here it is. Now since I swapped the driver side of the cowl that subrail extension is damn near perfect but am still thinking about getting the new rails and extensions from brookeville but that's $$$ may try to make the pass side and leave the ds any thoughts y'all? I have a decent metal brake. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    oliver westlund, brEad and loudbang like this.
  21. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Bert's Model A in Denver may have some of those parts. Never hurts to give them a call. They might have new ones or some used ones.

22. They aren't hard to make. You can copy Henry pretty close.
    If you're looking for something that works and does the job but don't mind deviatiation from Henry's exact shape you can bang out both sides to match in a hour or two.

loudbang, Binger and DylanHill1931 like this.
  23. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] well I got some time last night and figured I'd just go at it and try to recreate it so here it is not perfect but I can tweak it and make it fit I will buy the subrails to go underneath the extensions but in case anyone wants to make one I took some construction paper and folded it on the original metal and laid out the lines and traces that onto the metal, put lines on both sides and used my metal brake and got as close as I could. Turned out better than I thought it would I'm pleased!

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cut, chop, grind, weld & Bing!! No more Pitena...;) Garage engineering 101. It works...good stuff @DylanHill1931

25. first one wasn't accurate enough so I scraped it and made a new one with a new template here they are [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] not as good as some of the guys on here using files but got it close! Need to invest in some nice metal files and other metal working tools a dremel and angle grinder will have to do the trick for this one! [​IMG] the front mounting hole was torn out and gone so I cut out a rough piece of metal and welded in place [​IMG][​IMG] it fits in the cowl pretty good! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] and with the exception of the mounting holes ( will need to finish the A pillar brace to mock up) this subrail extension is done!

oliver westlund, brEad, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  26. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] some more progress on the cowl! Primed the inside of the brace and a pillar where I repaired it letting it dry and then will start making the lower inner cowl panel! Some more little things like cracks and straightening to fix that I won't bore everyone with will post a pic of the completed lower cowl next!

brEad, Stogy, Fern 54 and 2 others like this.
  27. Looking good .
    Isn't Amazing the amount of work in those hidden areas ?

DylanHill1931 and loudbang like this.
  28. Haha a lot of work in something that will never be seen but oh well it's about what the people can't see that I take the most pride in! And thank you! Hoping to have the structure of the cowl done by the end of the week then the hinges and sheet metal to put back together after the doors are hung and swinging

Stogy and loudbang like this.