Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1931 chevrolet steering gear with dual leafs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ranchero64, Feb 23, 2021.

1. ranchero64

ranchero64

what is the best steering gear to use on a 1931 chevrolet coupe fenderless street rod with dual leaf springs

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Do you mean steering box? And beyond that, what is your car other than fenderless street rod? what column are you using? Need more info on the build before choosing the best box, if you meant steering box?

3. Do you have pictures you could post? Sometimes it helps to see what you're working with.

Sent from my SM-N960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. mlagusis

mlagusis

I am building a 31 Chevy 2 door sedan and am planning on using a 57 Chevy truck steering box. I currently have a column, box and wheel from a 49 truck, but it is too big and takes up more room. Grab a copy of Rodders Journal issue #65. There are two 31 Chevys that and the article shared good build info.

5. squirrel

squirrel

55-59 truck steering works well, so does the 41-46 type. The later ones have recirculating ball steering, they last a long time....if you get one that's in good condition, put in some new pitman shaft bushings, adjust it properly, and lube it with the right stuff. Probably want to use a 57-59 steering gear instead of 55-56, because the later ones are shorter, since they came with a dished steering wheel.

btw Steve shortened the column in the gold car (I think I gave him the steering gear), and the black car has the earlier truck box. I'm familiar with both of those 31s in that issue of Rodders digest.

mlagusis likes this.
  6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yes, if staying with push/pull steering the truck boxes are good, but require you use that column too since they're integral. So not sure how the length works out for a swap into the early 30's Chevy?
    A quality Flaming River Vega box is a good option also. They sell a Vega style box that can be cross steer or push/pull steering, and for a light fenderless '31 would work well either way you chose to steer it.
    For a little more they have their "Bucket T" box that sits on top of the frame rail, and is angled up to point towards the steering column. They give you a good headstart to reduce steering joint angles. But they are strictly push/pull.

https://www.flamingriver.com/steering-box-accessories/fr1541-t-bucket-style-steering-box-reversed

7. Budget36

Budget36

You can cut the shaft and use a weld in universal, smooth on one end and double d on the other to adapt a different column. Tends to get the angle correct.
    My dad did a similar thing but used a rag joint to the Vette column.

8. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Have done them both ways on early Chevys and can tell you for a fact, that a cross steering setup handles and drives much better. JMO

9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I agree! I'd always go cross steer whenever possible.