Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1931 Chevrolet 5 Passenger Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazyolman, May 31, 2014.

1. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. Me Too! They always remind me of Wood Shop in school.:rolleyes:
    Seriously this is a very inspirational build on many fronts. Good work guys!:cool:

3. Your project is coming along nicely, I think you'll like the 322, Travis is sure lucky to have you in his life!!

Cosmo49 likes this.
  4. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

Thanks for the comments, it's always nice to know someone is actually interested in what we are doing.

We decided to install the power brake assembly on the firewall rather than under the car as I hit a speed bump with my 55 Buick and knocked the master cylinder off. This way I don’t have to worry about that happening to Travis. It seemed like a shame to drill holes in the firewall after all the time we have into welding all the old ones shut.

A universal pedal mount kit from Speedway Motors was used and the only thing that needed to be modified was the pedal arm. It was clamped in a vice and a couple of bends put in to clear the column better.

I also mocked up the steering column to check what would be needed as far as U joints etc. We can make a straight shot to the rack with only one joint at the bottom of the column and one at the rack.

The floor board will need to be fabricated to set up the lower column mount and the upper support will tie into the brake pedal bracket.
    31 Chevrolet 180.JPG

31 Chevrolet 181.JPG

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  5. Don't think for a moment that there isn't any interest in what you and Travis are doing. That is one neat car to begin with and you two are making it even neater. Both of you are doing a great job. I'm impressed with Travis' abilities and how quickly he picks things up. You're doing a great job of teaching him! Where were you when I was growing up?:D

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    Rich B. and tb33anda3rd like this.
  6. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

We were able to build the floorboards out of 5/8's marine grade plywood and mounted the seat. We are using the seats from a 1996 Mustang which is nice as it allows us to fold down the rear seat to have a larger trunk area when needed.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  7. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

The brake pedal was re-made so it fits on the other side of the column so it was easier to move from the gas pedal to the brake without hitting the bottom of the column. We also pulled the rear axle and welded new shock mounts to it after cutting off the old spring pads. We had to build another cross member to provide upper shock mounts then we used a set of Bilstein shocks from the 1988 Corvette I built my 57 from.
    upload_2016-6-20_15-43-44.jpeg
    Upper Cross Member
    We are using the rear seat from a mustang and it will fold down to allow a little more trunk room. The floor board area under the seat has been fabricated and installed also.
    upload_2016-6-20_15-49-57.jpeg
    Mustang Rear Seat
    upload_2016-6-20_15-51-45.jpeg
    Rear Seat Folds

kiwijeff, PBRmeASAP and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  8. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Very cool. Can't wait for updates!

9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Nice project for your family. Way to go. Gary

10. Chuck Craig

Chuck Craig

Great to see the both of you working on a rare Chevy, I think that the 32/32 Chevrolet Landau Phaeton is the optimum of the Chevrolet pre 35 cars. The Coupes (five passenger) run a very close second. Keep up the pix and info on the build

11. Chuck Craig

Chuck Craig

This shot gives a good ideal of what an older Chevy Looks like before the metal is nailed on, the early Chevy parts books also show some pix of other models before the metal is added. There is also a screen door type rod/clevis that is in both doors the help them stay square.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  12. tb33anda3rd

tb33anda3rd
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

my 33 standard did not have the rod/clevis support in the door. i did work on a 34 master that did have it. i wonder if 34 was the first year for them?

13. Chuck Craig

Chuck Craig

I am not 100% positive but they (rod/clevis support) have been on every pre-36 Chevy that I have worked on. I am not sure when the first year was for them, maybe we will hear from others.

14. THIS Plymouth....on the left....

Attached Files:

15. 29woodie

29woodie
    from boston, ma

Fantastic work!

16. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

31 Dodger,
    That is the body I built the 57 Corvette from and the Plymouth was in the garage of the person I bought the body from.

31Dodger likes this.
  17. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

Just a quick up-date to let you know we are still working on the car and have most of the bodywork done along with most of the wiring. Not much we can take pictures of but it is getting close to starting the engine time.
    Thanks to everyone who has taken time to read our post and comment.

18. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

Travis started the engine for the first time and drove it out of the garage where we let it run at a high idle for about 20 minuets then we drove it around the block for the first time. The car drove straight, the transmission shifted properly and the brakes stopped evenly. I don't think Travis has stopped smiling yet. (The radiator hose in the grille is just there to hold the radiator in place and will be replaced with radiator stay rods soon.)
    [​IMG]

19. Rocky

Rocky
    Classified Editor

20. clunker

clunker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Boston MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

21. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery

Looking at your photos, the trees and sky, I'd say you are somewhere in the PNW. Looks similar around here. Where are you located? Does't say in your avatar. Just curious. Ya'lll doing a great job, and talk about a learning experience for a kid!
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery, in Everett, Wa. State.

22. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

Yes it was nice to hear it run. We are located in Federal Way, WA so very close to you.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  23. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery

You may know a distant friend of mine, Mark Hentges, he's in Federal Way. Currently runs an Alcohol Funny Car? Beautiful day today, after all the gloom and doom rain and wind we've had lately. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

24. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication

25. Binger

Binger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from wyoming

The first drive is always a big step. Congratulations!!

26. congrats to both of you. You have done an excellent job on the car, and helping a young mind grow

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  27. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

No I don't know Mark but I work 6 days a week and the spare time I have is spent working on all these project cars so I don't get out and around much. Right now I am working on this 31 Chevy, a 1957 Corvette restomod, a 1964 Chrysler 300 K, a 1947 Olds Pro Touring car, a 1971 El Camino (for my boss) and I also work Monday through Saturday at Valley Freightliner in Pacific, WA

clunker likes this.
  28. jeta12

jeta12

Just read the whole thread....Glad to see another young man taking up the hobby. Great to see you are passing on your knowledge. You must be very proud!!

29. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

Bowtie Coupe and tb33anda3rd like this.
  30. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication

Quality is not always quick coming, so to speak.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.