Register now to get rid of these ads!

1931 and 1932 Ford Roadsters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LilGTO67, Mar 15, 2013.

1. LilGTO67

LilGTO67
    from Nevada

I am going to be ordering a Ford Roadster from Brookville Roadsters. The 1931 body is 4000 dollars cheaper than the 1932 ford roadster body. I would like to know if there are any large diffrences bettween the 31 and 32 bodys. The 32 is my dream, but the cheaper 31 is very tempting when on a budget.

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

3. 32's have cowl vents,more room,the bottom of the body fits the contour of a 32 frame,doors do not lap over the body separate firewall and it's really more desirable. HRP

4. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

Of course they are different. '31 roadsters are better looking!

Uh oh... What have I done...

5. Peed in the pool! :D HRP

6. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

32 roadsters have a longer wheelbase ( 106 inches ) than a Mode A. They are slightly wider also. The doors are longer and the room between the dash and the rear interior panel is longer.

[​IMG]

The frame on a 32 is visible and pleasing to the eyes ... :)

[​IMG]

The frame on a Model A is not as nice. the body is smaller and the fuel tank is in the cowl.

Ford made 4 million Model A's and around 250 thousand 32's ( all body styles )

If you cannot tell the difference ...
    then by all means ... buy the cheaper one :eek:

7. 19-c

19-c

I like them both, but went with a 30/31 brookville for my current project. I personally like the 30/31's. Buy what you will be happy with don't buy what is cheaper or what a message board suggests. If you really love 32's save your $$$ and wait until you can afford what you truly want. You wouldnt marry someone you didn't love just because she is cheaper to live with would you? haha oh wait dumb question lol

8. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Both are nice bodies and make a fine hotrod. It just depends on how big you are.
    We have a pair of `29 Brookville roadsters but I would still like a `32 for travelling room and a companion to my original 3 window.

Go sit in each and then decide.

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      485.9 KB
      Views:
  9. 52pig

52pig

It's okay, you're not the only one...but I'd take either.

10. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Having built 1 31 highboy pkg car and 17 or more 32 pkg roadsters for customers I think the extra money for the 32 will return to you when you sell it. Many of the parts cost about the same save for the chassis which is a little more. Paint, wiring, upholstery, radiator, exhaust, mtr/trans are a wash. I'd go for the deuce!!!!!

11. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Hard to believe the 32 is your dream car and you do not know the diffrence in it and a model A....Just saying!

05snopro440 likes this.
  12. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

The 32's gas tank looks like a kid with a full dipper. I pee in pools too:D

13. I like them both but i think A's make nicer traditional Hotrods.JW

14. LilGTO67

LilGTO67
    from Nevada

Is there any real reason the 32 is more expensive, or is it that it is more desirable?

15. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Depends on which 31 roadster and which 32 roadster we are talking about, As I have seen many cases where you are right!

16. 19-c

19-c

supply and demand

17. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

As someone above has already said, Don't settle, Get the one you like and want the most. My advice too you is get some old hot rod magazines, find the one that looks like your dream car and whatever year it is buy one of them. learn the diffrence in a model A and a 32, (kind of a big deal to know what you want before spending the money) just my 2 cents

18. The over sized tanks do. HRP

19. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

I love '32s but to me the best looking roadster is a '29 on '32 rails it just has a sleeker look to it.

20. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My son's '29 & my '32 roadsters.

The '32 body is 2 inches wider inside than a Model A body.

Attached Files:

21. fortynut

fortynut

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Don't worry, I didn't make that up. It's one of those things that go back to what you know about what you're looking at; and how much feeling it brings up in your mind, heart and gut. Really. You know, the old thing about, "I don't nothin' about Art. But, I know what I like." Well, if you don't the difference, and you're asking, I figure you'll get an education on here. And, probably get some off the wall comments, as well from people whose opinions matter, to them. A lot of what you're asking is because, my guess, you've never really 'looked' at these cars, or read a lot about how Henry Ford evolved what he manufactured and sold. From a technical point of view, the 1931 Ford was the last year Ford featured nothing but 4 cylinder engines, thus the scale of the car hies to the 'A' formula, that began in 1928 when Ford completely changed the body style, from the 'T'. On the other hand, the 1932 Ford was the first year Ford offered a V-8 engine, even though the 4 cylinder engine was carried over. As has already been stated, there are considerable changes in proportions, and in the design. There are, in my opinion, more nuances, subtle though they are, that give it a pleasant appearance. Many, who appreciate these changes would be quite willing to pay extra to get them. And, there are things to consider that go along with a body, that make it a whole package. I.E. If you have a 'Deuce' roadster, you need a deuce frame. A '31 can use an 'A' model frame, or be put on a '32 frame, and are willing to do some additional work to it. I feel like I'm talking to my nephew who is about seven years old. Sorry. If you have the money, you should have enough sense to know that a Deuce has more details in the construction of the body. Damn. You have enough to buy one and are asking us? Getouttahere.

22. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

get a glass 32---best of two worlds...

23. xix32

xix32

If you really don't have your heart set on a `32, I would skip over the `30-`31, and go with a `29 on a `32 frame like this. It just don't get any better than this.

[​IMG]

24. ford495051

ford495051

If you want a 32 wait until you have the cash. If you don't wait, you might be building something that your not going to be satisfied with.

25. kracker36

kracker36

I agree. I just got a 32 5 window but my really my favorite car that I have ever seen was a 31 Coupe on a 32 frame.

26. primed34

primed34

How tall are you? A couple inches here and a couple inches there make a BIG difference on the inside of an early car.

27. Amen.

Roadster: '32 is hard to argue with.

Coupe: '30 - '31 has the look.

28. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

You're a Dumb Ass anyways, get what's cheaper. Then again, you're a poser, get a 32 most posers get the 32, you could even get it in glass.

And . . . . . NO Dumb Ass! It's not transparent. FiberGlass

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

After all these years of Hot Rodding has anyone ever built a 30-31 on '32 rails then pulled the body and installed a '32? Just wonder how the befor and after shots would look. To me a '32 Roadster body looks huge when compaird to a 30-31 when viewed from the rear. Bob