Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1930's Firestone Radio??

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by NealinCA, Sep 16, 2013.

1. NealinCA

NealinCA

I just picked up this old Firestone under dash radio head. I would like to find out a little history on them. The radio dial has curved glass.

[​IMG]

I plan to clean it up and hang it under the dash in my 32 Fordor...

[​IMG]

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Neal

2. It would have been nice to have the rest of it...about the size of small suitcase....
    its along the lines of pigs with wings, hens with teeth, dodo's flying......
    Search on the internet, there is a guy that knows about these old radios, he helped me find a dial printout for my '48 motorola. It was a long time ago and I don't have his website anymore.

3. NealinCA

NealinCA

I did find some info on-line...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any other info would be appreciated.

Neal

4. Wow. That's a cool piece.

5. F&J

F&J

I just picked up a motorola head, but lacking the cables. I will hook up some steel jacket speedo cables, then hook them to an underdash 60s style radio or one that has a 2 knob deal; one for on-off-vol, and other for stations.

There is a thread on that on 2013 Tech Week, called Hillbilly hidden tunes... I think.

Attached Files:

6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I found one that has a switch built in and will hang it under the dash in my 37 Chevy p/u to turn on and off a stereo in the glove box,I will have the dial glowing when the lights are on.

7. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

Here's the Motorola in my '36 Plymouth. A big, heavy, current consuming 7 tube radio chassis/speaker cabinet hangs on the fire wall. The control unit connects to the radio chassis with two cables and contains the on/off switch (a separate tone switch mounts under the dash). The dial lights up and the radio hums as it warms up. The antenna is the chicken wire under the fabric roof insert and uses a bayonet type connector. It actually works pretty well.

Attached Files:

8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I had a couple of those radios that I gave away 10 years ago I wish now I kept as I have a few digital tuned shaft stereos I could mount in the box,I am going to look for a few to tinker with if I can get them cheap.