Register now to get rid of these ads!

1930s Era Champ Car - new project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Nov 20, 2007.

?

Another question: Posi or non-posi?

Poll closed Aug 18, 2021.
  1. Posi for two-wheel traction

100.0%
  2. No Posi for better handling in the corners.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Thanks Atwater.

Re: Steel Corvettes - I think its a dirty little secret that they ARE largely steel. Try finding a 70s era one here in the rust belt that doesn't need frame repairs.

2. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

This project is being housed off site, not at my home / shop. That makes it hard to work on it in short bursts of energy or inspiration. I want to be able to drag it home in short order so I can work on it more. To that end I had started to gather parts together to build a trailer to transport it from my storage site to my home. I have the same problem with my Attic Anglia project. I want to switch these cars around. Plus, the champ car will need a trailer to haul it to the track. Last week I found a house trailer frame for sale nearby and bought it. In the succeeding week I chopped three feet off the back, moved the axle forward, fixed a faulty hitch, mitered in a skid plate to the tongue, added a third draw bar member to the tongue, boxed the front crossmember, added fenders, added three tie-down sites, and narrowed it down so the Anglia and Speedracer will just fit.

as purchased:
    trailer 01.jpg
    current mods:
    trailer 03.jpg
    I also installed a new jack and winch.

The rear crossmember got a drop-center to facilitate loading and unloading. Ramps are installed.
    trailer 06.JPG trailer 07.JPG

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  3. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

Hello Mister,
    You are quite The Artist and The Engeneer!
    But, not to be too pretentious: there were some other too, for example: brothers Voisin, Bugatti and son, Ferry (the son) Porsche, gerat Enzo ... and some not so famous.
    Great work, indeed - must be followed!

Regards,
    Zoran

4. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

The champ car hauler nearing completion:

trailer 01.jpg
    trailer 02.jpg

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    mgtstumpy, tb33anda3rd and skatermann like this.
  5. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I did more work on the headrest. Planished and mated the two halves.
    But when I placed it on the back half it looks too big - too tall, too wide, too long.

Buck headrest 14.jpg

So I think I'll make it smaller.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  6. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

In the mean time, I mated the two sides together in prep for a finished butt weld joint. I have developed a technique whereby I overlap the pieces by a little bit - maybe 1/4 inch,
    Buck headrest 15.jpg
    fasten with Clecos,
    mark the overlap with a Sharpie marker, cut back all the metal on one of the overlaps except for the area around the rivet holes,
    put an offset flange on the remaining tabs,

do some last minute fit-up with hammer and dolly, tack weld the joint, cut off the tabs with a Dremel wheel,

Ready to finish weld.

Buck headrest 15.jpg Buck headrest 16.jpg Buck headrest 17.jpg Buck headrest 18.jpg

7. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I got a date for my next hip surgery, screw / pin removal - Dec 18. I hope to get the headrest mated to a smoothed out tail section before then, as I'll be on limited duty after that.

8. Just seen this thread, and fascinated that you make the work seem so easy.

Never mind the headrest, will you be mounting the pin from your hip on the car. :p Good luck at the surgeon's.

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Actually, I did ask him to save them for me. It might make a nice fixture on the car.

volvobrynk and prefect20 like this.
  10. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Nice way to personalize it.

11. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

12. Looks good Frenchy. You are my 6 cylinder hero for damned sure.

Tell me this, I think I already know but humor me, the header is stainless, right?

13. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Thanks pork,
    Yup, the header is stainless which I will polish and heat age. I bought the tubing at an aircraft supply house and I agonized over whether to just have the primaries run straight into the collector or sweep backwards. This was a hard decision because to make them sweep backwards meant I had to buy six mandrel bends at a cost of $46 each. So that swept back look cost me nigh on to three hundred bucks. Don't tell my wife.

sr_037_10.jpg sr_038_9.jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  14. I won't tell yours but can I tell mine? She always accuses me of being a cheap bastard. LOL

Its well on its way to pure unadulterated sweetness my friend. :cool:

15. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Frenchy, Really slick way you did that butt weld. Good info.

16. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Thanks ago. In the case of the headrest I used a square punch in my Roper Whitney bench notcher to make the tabs nice and square, but sometimes I just make two cuts around the Cleco holes with a cut-off wheel. Another thing I should mention is I put a score line in each tab with a .030" wide Dremel wheel so it breaks off cleanly and easily with just a couple of wiggles by a needle nose pliers. I try for a gap equal to the metal thickness to reduce warpage.

This method of fastening also works well on all shapes of patches, compound curves and body shapes. I've used it extensively for patch panel repairs. I really don't like overlapping patch panels for several reasons.

17. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

A friend was scrapping a table that had tapered steel legs so I got the legs. I made a tapered plug wire loom to run my wires from the back of the head to the plugs.

dist loom 01.jpg dist loom 02.jpg dist loom 03.jpg

Those aren't the wires I'll be using. I'll try for something closer to period correct.

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Frenchy...Haven't seen any recent posts, hoping for some. Brilliant use of the tapered tube leg!
    Best loom I've seen on an inliner!
    Hope all is well, you especially.

19. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Hi Mike, Racing season is in full swing for me. I'm in the midst of eight days of drag races over a 12 day span on two different tracks in two different cars. But I have finished my retro champ transport trailer and will be working on the champ car soon - mainly doing body work fit-up and finish fabrication. Stay tuned - don't give up on me.

20. I'd missed this, very cool build.
    Off to add thread to watch list list, I can't wait to see how it turns out.

21. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Welcome kiwijeff. South or North Island? I visited your country a few years ago. Loved it. I'd move there in a heartbeat.

22. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Too late to help you now but if you're looking for curves and bends in stainless tubing cheap or free check out pool ladders at a scrap metal place or pool installer.

23. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

thanks studebakerjoe - good idea.

I've already been down to a local boat scrap yard and bought a bunch of SS boat railing, some with bends and gentle curves and some straight sections, which I hope to use to make crash bars. They also make nice coolant lines for heater circuits etc.

The boat scrap yard also had a bunch of bilge blower motor assemblies. On ebay they sell the same blowers for roundy-round racers to install in brake cooling ducting, except at the scrap yard they are stupid-cheap. I use them for remote mounted trans coolers.

24. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I finished the champ car / Anglia trailer.

sr_072.jpg trailer 05.JPG trailer 06.JPG trailer 07.JPG

The winch is housed in an electrical breaker box.

mgtstumpy, tb33anda3rd and cactus1 like this.
  25. brasscarguy

brasscarguy
    from seattle

For Stainless mandrel bends try Columbia River mandrel bends web site. I purchased 4 mandrel bent polished 2" bends for my 1928 sprint car restoration@ $20 bucks each. Their on line catalog is exceptional.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

26. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

thanks brasscarguy - good info.

27. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Now that both the tow truck and the tow trailer are both functional I'm turning my attention back to the piece de resistance, the champ car. I plan to marry the headrest to the rear bustle section. To do this I laid out a pair of lines on the back, the widest set to denote where the body contour will begin to transition into the radius to join up to the headrest; the narrower set of lines where I will cut out a wedge-shaped section of the top of the body, form it upward into a radius at roughly a 45 degree angle where it will mate with a similar 45 degree outward bend radius from the headrest. Note that this point the crudely formed body panels will need extensive contour shaping and smoothing and weld bead removal to achieve a pleasing shape before these cuts get made. Since these pictures were taken I've spent a couple of days with body hammers, dollies, shot bag and English wheel (where it will fit) to smooth things out.

Buck headrest 20.jpg Buck headrest 24.jpg

28. Looking good! I've been itching for an update!

29. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

The cut is made across the top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mgtstumpy, tomkelly88 and skatermann like this.
  30. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I think I'll make one more buck to make welding the headrest to the bustle easier and more accurate. I swear sometimes I think I'm Jepeto The Woodcarver more than a gearhead.

Buck headrest 21.jpg Buck headrest 22.jpg Buck headrest 23.jpg Buck headrest 27.jpg