Register now to get rid of these ads!

1930s Era Champ Car - new project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Nov 20, 2007.

?

Another question: Posi or non-posi?

Poll closed Aug 18, 2021.
  1. Posi for two-wheel traction

100.0%
  2. No Posi for better handling in the corners.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I will be making a grill myself. It will have vertical bars. I may use aluminum or stainless, and hold it in place with small nutserts.

I already have a stone guard made:

Attached Files:

HJmaniac, JOYFLEA and loudbang like this.
  2. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Poll results: 100% suggest use a PosiTraction (Ford EquaLock). It looks like I'll put one in.

loudbang likes this.
  3. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Either a Posi or a spool and make it even more fun.

loudbang likes this.
  4. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I'm nearly finished with the foot brake components of the braking system. Tonight some hot rod hoodlum buddies will be over so I can sit in the car and establish optimum ergonometric placement of my braking foot through the entire stroke of the master cylinder. Then the final length of the connecting links may be established and everything welded up.

Then I will have to install the hand brake system - I'm thinking to the rear wheels, like an emergency brake without the ratcheting lock. I think the best way is to weld a sleeve in the box frame with an inside link and cables going to the rear shoes.

Return spring helpers and bump stops will be added later too.

What am I forgetting, aside from the plumbing? brake 08.JPG brake 09.JPG brake 10.JPG

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    HJmaniac and loudbang like this.
  5. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I know...
    ...provision for a brake light switch for the street.

Its always sumpthin'.
    - Roseanne Roseanna Danna

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  6. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

The hump on the backside of the brake pedal pivot would make for a good cam lobe operated brake light switch.
    Happy coincidence?

7. Is a Starter Button/Brake Pedal Safety Interconnect required for the street, like when I start my off-topic daily driver?

loudbang likes this.
  8. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Not for me it isn't. I'm perfectly happy with a neutral safety switch.

loudbang and HJmaniac like this.
  9. While we are talking brakes. Have you thought about brake light, license plate bracket/brake light assy. Perhaps something like this?

[​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  10. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Interesting pic HJ. I'll want two brake / turn lights for safety. Dunno about plate placement. I see the car pictured also has louvered frame valences like mine. I may hide the lights under there.
    It also looks like he's turned the headlights around backwards. I want my headlights removable - maybe snap into sockets on the frame.

loudbang likes this.
  11. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Through a confluence of unfortunate events I trashed the tailshaft housing and driveshaft on my '46 pickup truck. But I will try to salvage a foot of this old driveshaft and add a new yoke for the C4 to use on the champ car.
    driveshaft 01.JPG

I also made some mounting brackets for the master cylinder and a bushed connector link for the pedal.

brake 11.JPG

Carter, loudbang and HJmaniac like this.
  12. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Brake mechanisms looking good! You're giving me ideas for the Whatever projects brake and clutch pedals. Imitation is the best form of flattery!

loudbang likes this.
  13. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Go for it Dave. I'll post a pic of the assembly tack welded in the chassis tomorrow.

loudbang likes this.
  14. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Here is the completed brake assembly - minus stoplight switch - welded into the chassis. Now that I have gas and brake I will turn my attention to the 3-speed shifter. The existing shift lever will be cut off and a new lever that fits tightly to the contour of the transmission case will be fabbed along with a rudimentary shortie shifter.

brake 12.JPG
    brake 13.JPG brake 14.JPG

15. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Nice! I can picture 2 pedals like that on the whatever. I don't need to make a heavy-duty bracket like yours, due to the extra lower frame tubes. Between you and Marty Strode and a couple of other threads, I have copied so many great ideas for the Whatever project that I'm going to have to list everyone as co-builders.

16. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Promise me as ride when it is complete Dave.

I don't think I'm even worthy to be mentioned in the same breath as Marty, but thanks all the same.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

You got it and yes you do...

18. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I made a shift lever for the C4 trans. The hole spacing is roughly the same as the original lever I will be cutting off - plus or minus. This dummy trans is frozen up so I can't cycle the lever but I can get started on the shifter mechanism. I think it will bolt to the machining lugs on the case.

shifter 01.JPG

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  19. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

There are four machining locator lugs on the top of the C4 trans just begging to be used to mount a shifter. I'll fab a plate to hold a shifter.
    shifter 02.JPG

The rear two lugs are not at the same height.
    shifter 03.JPG

TECH TIP: I use these "pyramid blocks" to establish a horizontal and sure enough, the right side was .080" lower than the left. I'll compensate when I build the plate. These pyramid blocks came in handy when I was building interior tin for racers and rodders. These homemade pyramid blocks are especially useful for determining tunnel heights and conical tunnel taper.
    shifter 04.JPG

Note that the plate sits level after making one tab .080" longer than the other.
    shifter 05.JPG

The front two lugs get tapped for mounting tabs.
    shifter 07.JPG

A friend donated this elegant little shifter handle. I'll shorten it to suit.
    shifter 06.JPG

I may hide some additional switches and gauges on this panel under the dash. They are needed for street operation, but I want the dash panel to be relatively austere - Tach, Oil pressure and Temp gauges and a kill switch - that's it.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  20. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

After a several month back order delay this fuel filler cap came today. I have mixed emotions about it. While it is well made for the most part it is smaller than I expected. I did not want to have a huge cap stuck on the side of the tail so I opted for this smaller one with a 1.5" filler tube. I'll make a weld-in well to make the top flush with the body. The weld beads on the top of the filler pipe looked like they might not easily seal against the gasket so I knocked down the top of the weld beads to smooth them out. I may also weld a lip around the base of the tube to prevent the filler tube from pulling out.

gas tank 17.JPG gas tank 18.JPG gas tank 19.JPG

loudbang and tomkelly88 like this.
  21. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

This is the base of the shifter. I will make the trunnion support for the shift lever / handle after the transmission lever is fitted on to the real transmission. That way I can see how long the linkage rod has to be. Switches and possibly idiot lights will be fitted in front of the shifter handle. The lever with the maroon knob will actuate the PARK / REVERSE spring loaded lockout plunger. Since the shift mechanism is short, direct, and substantially strong the shifter handle will have no detents, relying on the internal detents in the transmission. The slotted machine screws will be upgraded to 1/4-28 NF socket head cap screws on the real deal. Smallish screw holes help me precisely locate the tapped holes when there is little room for error.

shifter 08.JPG
    shifter 09.JPG

22. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Back on the gas cap. I started on the depression to be embedded in the body side. I decided to make it eliptical. I decided to sink the cap for a few reasons:
    - the cap will look more streamlined
    - the eliptical shape will allow for ,more "swing clearance" of the latch while keeping the overall size smaller
    - the depression can have a drain tube to catch spills and prevent fuel from dribbling on to the paint job
    - this smaller sized cap will allow for a larger number to be painted on the body side
    - a flat surface will seal at the flange

gas tank 20.JPG
    gas tank 21.JPG

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    Shadow Creek, loudbang and HJmaniac like this.
  23. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

The 1.5" filler tube hose will connect to the tank almost directly below it. A small tank vent tube will coil up under the head rest so it will be higher than the fill cap. I may also install a roll over check valve so all that gas sloshing around just behind my back stays in the tank. And since I'll be using an electric fuel pump (the hand pump on the side is just for show; fake, like most everything else on the car. I want the car to look traditional without all the traditional drawbacks and safety issues. But I digress...) I may think about adding an impact cut-off switch to that too.

loudbang likes this.
  24. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

The offset nosepiece flange was a bit tricky for me. I wanted to make it in one piece but it was just a little too long to be bent in my 4-foot brake. So I made a short extension piece to fit on the end of one of the legs. I put a little over-bend into it to compensate for the expected warpage that will tend to pull the piece back straight when it gets welded to the nose.
    sr_shell68.JPG sr_shell69.JPG sr_shell70.JPG sr_shell71.JPG

25. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I clamped the nosepiece down on the rad hoop and tack welded the flange on to the nosepiece.
    Then I skip welded it permanently. It will need a little metal finishing, not much, very little warpage.

sr_shell72.JPG sr_shell73.JPG sr_shell74.JPG sr_shell75.JPG

26. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Beautiful job on all. Love the oval fuel filler recess. Another idea to plaigerize...

27. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I welded up the gas cap recess. For the finish welding I clamped some discs in the opening so I could weld it faster without warpage. I still need to add an overflow tube.

gas tank 22.JPG gas tank 23.JPG gas tank 24.JPG gas tank 25.JPG

HJmaniac, loudbang and 64 DODGE 440 like this.
  28. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I did a little more welding on the cowl hood support and the gas tank cap drain tube.

gas tank 26.JPG

patmanta, loudbang and ottoman like this.
  29. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

To affix the nose to the rad hoop I made up six tabs for the hidden Dzus fasteners. I will probably make another attachment point at the front lower edge of the nose to keep it firmly put. Somebody probably stamps these but I decided to cut and bend to suit. Logghe Stamping where are you when I need you?

sr_shell76.JPG sr_shell77.JPG

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    loudbang, HJmaniac and jaracer like this.
  30. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Next tabs got welded to the rad hoop and the nosepiece got fitted up to measure for the Dzus holes.

sr_shell78.JPG sr_shell79.JPG