Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1930 Tudor Sedan, My first build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by LuckyFord, Dec 8, 2015.

1. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

I almost forgot how fun boxing is, Not! Had to finish boxing the front horns. I added c notches in the frame to clear the spring, that drop front cross member was a little lower than I realized, works good now plenty of travel. Boxed completely around and inside cross member, welded it inside and out. Added front pan hard. Added vega box mount and some extra braces on it. Little bit more sanding and blending front suspension almost done. 20151128_212435.jpg 20151128_212613.jpg 20151205_170550.jpg 20151205_170643.jpg 20151205_170603.jpg

woodsnwater and AHotRod like this.
  2. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

Man I love big headlights ;) Just sitting there to get ideas but wow they are awesome. 20151211_194705.jpg

slv63, patmanta and AHotRod like this.
  3. AHotRod

AHotRod

Your building a very cool Hot Rod .... stick at it, it's gonna be FAST !

4. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

Thank you. Its my first and I'm hooked.

5. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

Got my Radiator and grill mounted. P & J headlight/shock mounts. 7" Headlights:). Disc brake brackets and wheel spacers to clear calibers. All the steering is bolted in now, works good but rubs headers a little at full turn. Oh, and did I mention I loooove those headlights!

20160103_181717.jpg 20160103_181837.jpg 20160103_182524.jpg 20160103_182542.jpg 20160103_182555.jpg

kiwijeff and 38nailhead like this.
  6. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

I like your trac bar mount and frame notch... looks really clean
    [​IMG]

7. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking good so far! You've got a good stance, and a will to do it! Pick a year you'd like your car to be "from". Look at magazines from that era and dial in the " look" you're going after. Great job so far!

8. Once you install your King Pin lock bolt and proper castle nut you may not have a Header/Tire contact issue any more.
    The Wizzard

9. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

Thanks. I did blend that top weld in a little better after this pic. I put my pics as rotating screen saver, seeing it over and over makes me notice things I'm not happy with.

10. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

Thank You. I have a picture in my head but haven't found it yet. I had a HotRod Magazine Poster from 6o's (I think). It had Decades of Racing across the top and five cars in an x pattern.
    The center car was race style sedan in dark flat blue color with a big 5 on the door. Had aluminum wheels similar to mine. Wish I could find that picture!

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  11. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

Hmmm. I am not familiar with king pin lock bolt. Any info would be much appreciated.

12. Go to your photos on post #35 and look at the King Pin Boss of the Axle. Notice the hole in it running front to back. There is supposed to be a Pinch Bolt in it. That's what keeps the King Pin in place. The new pins don't come with a Factory type nut however the correct one is the actual turn stop from Ford. If you had stock Ford spindles they would have a machined spot on them that makes contact with the Stock capped nut. It's the Stock turn stop. It also keeps from having steering return issues. After market parts seem to come with built in issues most New Guys can never get sorted out. They just don't know.
    The Wizzard

LuckyFord likes this.
  13. Hay guys., I just re read what I posted. That last line could be taken a couple different ways. In NO way did I mean that as any kind of Knock. What I ment was if you weren't around before all the reproduction parts were so common you just wouldn't know what parts had changed with the reproduction pieces. I can still remember the first time I opened a new King Pin set and it didn't have the Crown Nut in it. I went ahead and installed the standard nut with the job. On the test drive and a full to stop Right hand turn that 40 Ford didn't want to come back around on it's own. I nearly Curbed the car. My Boss "the Old Guy" started looking over my shoulder and asked why I didn't put the correct nuts on the pinch bolts. I explained these were what came in the box. After digging around in the Garbage, finding the Old Nuts the problem was resolved. I've never made that mistake again. That was about 1965.
    Just passing along my lesson learned.
    The Wizzard

14. Nice looking build

15. yruhot

yruhot

This build make me chuckle. Dont mean to put your working conditions down, Ice done my share of builds in gravel and desert dirt before cause thats all Ive had available and was thankful for that but with all these epoxy coating and snap together tiles for garage floors Ive got to say yours is the first build Ive seen done on grass. Just strikes me funny. Id go nuts looking for stuff I dropped in the grass. I guess you would need to keep a magnet handy. Anyway looks like you are doing a great job and thanks for sharing the photos of the progress and keep up the good work. yruhot

16. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

I am definitely a New Guy. 34 years old. I have not been lucky enough to work with or around anyone with any kind of car knowledge. Raised by single Mom, She knew how to put gas in, that's about it. Everything I think I know has been self taught. I have always just jumped in and figured it out best I could with any project. Hell, I don't even know anyone else that likes old cars, guess I was just born with it in my blood. Mom said every dam toy she bought me I took apart. Anyways, biggest reason I post is because of my lack of knowledge, I really do appreciate any and all info that you guys send my way.
    I was wondering why the steering had no stop point other then hitting something, small things like this are going to be hard to figure out on my own. Internet is amazing source of info but still no substitute for actually working on this type of suspension.

slv63 likes this.
  17. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

Thanks.
    I must say it did get old fast. I worked out there for about a year and a half, two full winters. The absolute worst part was the mud after it rained! I cant tell you how many times I was in that perfect awkward welding position, halfway thru a bead, then Bam my feet slide out and I'm laying face first in the mud. I put the project on hold and built a shop!

kiwijeff likes this.
  18. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

Thanks. If it comes out even maybe half as nice as yours I'll be happy!

19. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

Thank You Again! I ordered these.
    A-3122-24.jpg

20. LuckyFord; That's an interesting looking stud. I have to tell you I have never seen one just like that one that I can remember. The Hex and round end looks a lot like the origonal nut, the shank and threaded end was never part of the stock anchor bolt. I will dig out some factory stock parts and post up a photo of them.
    Question; Where did you order them from and what are they listed as?
    The Wizzard

21. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

EarlyFordStore.com
    1928-1948 Car & 1928-47 Pickup - King Pin Lock Bolt & Nut
    Sold each 2 required
    That is the only one that comes with a castle nut.
    The other style I could find is a stud with a separate stop nut.
    untitled.png untitled 4.png

22. The last photo you posted is the correct item, seperate pinch bolt and tall nut. Not the stud with castle nut and cotter key.
    The Wizzard

23. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

Got it. Can't thank you enough for pointing that out. You got me thinking and searching around about it, then I thought maybe I should check the box of misc that came with the chassis. I'm halfway there now! There is also shims in the box. Time to do some more research and check the entire kingpin install just to make sure.
    20160106_134302.jpg 20160106_134256.jpg

24. thanks! it will... if I can do it anybody can... yours is looking great!

25. Good find. Now just get the correct nut. F.Y.I. If you remove the King pin you'll find a notch about center of the pin. That should be in view through the anchor bolt hole in the Axle. The bolt groves make contact with the king pin in a wedge type manor and lock the king pin in place. The shims go to the top of the Axle to remove up and down movement of the spindle on the King Pin. Apply what's needed to each side. One more thing you might want to do is hand pack the bearing with chassis Grease. I also lube the bushings by hand before installing the pin in place. For a good long life lift the wheel off the ground every 1K miles and have someone turn the wheel left to right while greasing the Zerk fittings.
    The Wizzard

26. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

Thanks for all the good info.

27. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

Made a little progress today. Capped the ends of the frame horns. Filled all the extra holes in top of frame.
    20160105_191717.jpg 20160105_185646.jpg 20160105_185719.jpg 20160105_195505.jpg 20160106_190404.jpg 20160106_190422.jpg 20160106_190501.jpg 20160106_193345.jpg 20160106_193419.jpg

kiwijeff and FinnishFireball like this.
  28. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

One step forward and five steps back! Moved to the rear to put in shock mounts, started setting up to try and cycle the suspension. It's bottomed out, completely bound up at the shackles, no travel at all! I searched all the post I could find about this but I didn't find any good answers. Seems like all the previous post boiled down to worn/modified springs, or everyone debating the eye to eye measurements of the perches. There are Posies springs sold for 44" perches, but it seems they are going to be at least 4" taller then what I need. The drop springs all seem to be for the 48"-49.25" perches. Does anyone know of any other options out there? 20160108_202318_resized.jpg 20160108_202329_resized.jpg 20160108_202404_resized.jpg

29. mlagusis

mlagusis

Looks like the spring mounts are too narrow or the spring is too long (wide). Is the spring mount fully welded to the rear end or just tacked?

30. mlagusis

mlagusis

Just looked at the pictures and noticed it is welded already. Might be easier to have a main leaf made to fit the rear end width. The shackles should be almost a 45 degree angle.