Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1930 rear radius rods help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leroux, Sep 19, 2014.

1. leroux

leroux
    from SoCAl

i have bent the original and now broke the pair i made using seamless tubing for my rear radius rods on my coupe. I am not doing burn outs or driving like i stole it all the time, but what is everyone using for model A radius rods?

2. leroux

leroux
    from SoCAl

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411164884.027316.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411164895.709851.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411164904.508150.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to guess that you are only using radius rods. They were not meant to take all the torque, they were to keep the rear end straight. The "torque tube"was for the twist. You need ladder bars or some other means of keeping the rear from wrapping itself around the radius rods. Lots of guys use the P&J type of ladder bars for what you are doing.

4. No torque control - you need a third link or ladder bars. Many ideas here on how to do that.

Split bones to the outside of frame - they need to be stronger and yet flexible - not easy to do while making them pretty at the same time.

Much easier on the bars to have them mounted as close to the drive shaft as practical

5. rfraze

rfraze

I have had better luck pie-cutting the tubing near the connection tabs, not all the way thru, bending them to the position you need, tacking, and welding off the car. The tubing needs to be straight to have enough strength to possibly live. Make sure that the rear is square to centerline of chassis BEFORE bending and tacking, and before attaching frame tabs. By the way, make your pie cuts so that the gap CLOSES when you bend the radius rods. I know, but I thought I better mention that.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014