Register now to get rid of these ads!

1930 Pontiac 3 window coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shock733, Sep 27, 2009.

1. shock733

shock733
    from Florida

!BZc8F!!BGk~$(KGrHgoH-CEEjlLl0F63BKm)Dhgho!~~_12.jpg

!BZc8l6wBGk~$(KGrHgoH-CsEjlLlzPB1BKm)FuHGrg~~_12.jpg

!BZc8SEw!mk~$(KGrHgoH-CYEjlLlq68ZBKm)EZZ1y!~~_12.jpg

!BZc79uwB2k~$(KGrHgoH-CcEjlLl4lRpBKm)DBI)MQ~~_12.jpg

!BZc88zwB2k~$(KGrHgoH-DoEjlLluCsSBKm)HTE64!~~_12.jpg

New project for the winter. Coming out of a VA barn and using the H.A.M.B. O-DEX for transporter. Here's the plan; 3" chop, no fenders, keep the original split head 6 and figure out how to loose the wood wheels. Info tough on the old Pontiacs. Ordered an old service manual to see what the options are. I think I'll keep the cloth top and paint the body silver. Anybody done a 29-31 Pontiac or Oakland coupe?

2. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

that thing's awesome

3. 27Oakland

27Oakland

Not exactly what you asked for but it might be close enough. 27 Oakland sedan. Went with a ford style front end nothing against parallel leaf springs just like the look.[​IMG]

4. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

5. F&J

F&J

There is a hamber with a bunch of 31s? he will see this thread to help, I'd bet

6. And here I am. Saw that auction on your 30 coupe and seriously thought about bidding on it but I have toooo many projects already and one of them is an original running 30 Pontiac Coupe. But, there's been several threads already where we've talked about these early Oakland built Pontiacs I love so much. Search '1930 Pontiacs' and '1929 Pontiacs' A few other guys here on the HAMB also building similar Pontiac projects. Me, I've got three 1931 Pontiacs and three 1930 Pontiacs at this time. Any help I can give I would love to help! Let me know.

Here's some photoshopping that one of the resident Hambers did a while back on a 1930 Pontiac that still gets me to thinking about cuttin' up my 30 coupe but I'm still holdin off on it for now. The first pic is the original car and the next two are what it could look like.

Attached Files:

7. Shock,

If you got them, I would be interested in those fenders as the ones on one of my 30 projects are toast. Send me a PM on anything that you don't plan on using as I plan to restore my 30 coupe at this time. Congrats on a cool project and like I said I'm glad to help any way I can.

Here's my 30 coupe also a barn find this one from Mich. and my 31 coupe that I rodded a few years ago. My other are in various degrees of disassembly:D

Attached Files:

8. 31 B'ville

31 B'ville
    from SE Pa
    1. All Things Pontiac

[​IMG] Good to see another early Pontiac on here. I am working on a '31 coupe (like rarerodder's) and would also like to offer my help and support in your project.

9. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Wow! Great score, and you surely have a good source of info in RareRodder! A 389-Tri or 428 w. Turbo would be KEEN in that car (just my two bits; YOUR project! ENJOY!).

10. Doug B

Doug B

+
    WOW, that thing looks spacious!

11. pontiacfreak

pontiacfreak
    from hibbing,MN

Nice pontiac, i have a 32 5 window pontiac. have fun with it

12. shock733

shock733
    from Florida

Thanks for all the support with my new project. I like the photo shop pic's with or without the fenders. I would like to keep a very traditional look. The wood to wire or old school mags is my main concern. I don't have the coupe or the parts books yet but after some internet searches, it's looks like an entire hub/brake swap is needed at each wheel. Any body got info on that?

13. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

cool car awaiting photos of the build patiently

14. Astrochimp

Astrochimp
    from NE Mo.

Better engine pick-

[​IMG]

15. [​IMG][/QUOTE]
    That OHC ^ banger is the Bee's knees! WAAAAY Cool!:cool:

16. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

How's the wood in that indian........?

17. Shock, I've never come across anyone who has converted the stock spindles but someone with some machinist resources might could accomplish that. You definitely want to replace those mechanical brakes with juice type. If you plan on driving in more than parades, you are probably gonna want to bolt new front and rear axle assemblies under those parrallel springs. This is not a difficult task.

That original 200 cubic inch L-head six put out a whopping 60 hp at 3000 rpm and I've never seen any type of speed equipment available for it. Engine is highly restricted on flow so not gonna get much more out of it. But, for cruising the rod show it could be a cool conversation piece. The non-synchronized 3 speed manual trans was a bit of a dog for driving, too.

Think about what you want to be able to do with the car. If it includes highway driving, you will wanna think about complete engine/drivetrain swap. Good news is the engine compartment is a bit longer than the Fords and Chevy's of the day and will hold a small v8 and probably even a Chevy or GMC inline 6 pretty easily. That would give you much better transmission choices, too. Since early GMC's used Pontiac motors from that era, doesn't seems like a bad idea to use a GMC in that Pontiac:D.

18. glad to see a pontiac build. we need more poncho's on the road.

19. pontiacfawk

pontiacfawk
    from Antioch

i say DAMN THE BAD LUCK!!!

low on cash, got tons of pontiac steel, but nothing of this vintage..

im stuck with building a 30 olds with a 389 and a 30 ford 4 door with a 32 pontiac flat 6.

anyone wanna trade a clean 4 door murray body for some vintage poncho/oakland steel???

20. shock733

shock733
    from Florida

Still waiting for the transporter. When I get it I want to take some time and absorb the overall car before I get started. The body is supposedly rust free with all new wood. I know these split head 6 cylinder's are low on power. I have a 331 hemi with a 4 deuce manifold and several Stromberg 97's. I can back that up with a 4 speed and I'm always looking for a quick change rear [at the right price]. The parrel leaf front springs may have to be replaced with a 40's ford axle and split bones that I have in hand. I want to build a traditional rod with the look an feel of one built in the fifties. I want to actually paint this one and have an interior installed. Like every one else I'v had too many rods in primer with junk yard seats and no headliner or door panels. Pictures and the game plan will be posted when it gets to it new home.

21. oldskooljc

oldskooljc
    from Fresno CA.

jims rod 33 007.jpg

jims rod 33 002.jpg

jims rod 33 012.jpg here is some pictures of your cousin my chevy 33 - 3 window. let me know if you want advice nobody else will take it. jim

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  22. Ghost28

Ghost28

Nice. that will make a cool rod, Does it still have the crank for the windshield riser? And when you chop it try to maintain the integrity of that rear window Cuz that is one of the things that is cool about the pontiacs...john

23. shock733

shock733
    from Florida

:) It's here, it's raining, it's late and I just got in from a 14hr day and a bad ride home. Pictures tomorrow, I'm going to bed and dream.

24. That highboy is "Tits" in anybodys book......too cool !

Johnnie.

25. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

I have a 31 chopped coupe from the 60's w / gto tri power we are getting together.
    I need a grill and headlights, then it is on the road.

wil
    www.sakowskimotors.com

26. 33mopower

33mopower

Though not a pontiac here is the 29 grill on my RR project.

[​IMG]

27. 31 B'ville
    Shock733
    33mopower

Since I have no progress to show I sure would like to hear and especially see some progress on those Pontiacs rods (and rod with Pontiac parts).

28. 31 B'ville

31 B'ville
    from SE Pa
    1. All Things Pontiac

Guess I'm 1st to check in, rarerodder! Wish I had more

progress to report, but between 12 hr workdays,

holidays,

occasionally bad weather, spending too much time

enjoying the HAMB, and a general lack of enough

disposable income, advances have not kept pace with my

aspirations for the '31. That being said, here are several

photos of our '31 Pontiac coupe before I took it apart and

in its current condition. Thanks for asking and good luck

with your projects!

Attached Files:

29. filthy frank

filthy frank

i like those headlites,do you have another pair ?

30. Joe Didio

Joe Didio

I'm working with a friend in Smithfield, VA (HAM Capital of the world) on a 29 Pontiac Coupe. The body is disassembled and the frame is about 75% complete. We are in the early stages on this project. The car will be full fendered and the top will get chopped. We are even considering doing a removable Carson style top. Will try and post pictures as the project progresses.