Register now to get rid of these ads!

1930 model A sedan build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rawcjw19, Dec 11, 2012.

1. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

I have been reading on the Hamb for a while (wow I can't believe the talent on here) . We bought a couple sedans off here and are starting our first Hot rod build You've inspired me . I've built stock cars and late 70's chevy pickups but this is my first rod. My 9 yr old son plans to drive it regularly when he turns 16, we are both having a good time with this build so far, he really gets involved. I have more pics to load. So far I purchased a pete and jakes frame and 4 inch drop front, with the extra parts I sold. The car came with a 9 inch with disc brakes and 4 link / coil over setup. The original frame was plated with a mustang front not usable. I wanted to build a frame but took the easy way out ( figure I have plenty to do without it) I have engine front end and rear tacked in place. Plan to chop it 3-4 inches providing I can fit, we channeled roughly 3.5 inches. The firewall was already cut( wish it wasn't). I am thinking of putting a flat firewall, and trimming back to right in front of the cowl band maybe an inch. I am also thinking of moving the body and rear end back 1 1/2 -2 inches? What is your thoughts ? any problems I'm not seeing?

I am also back and forth on the electric fan, I like the looks of a mechanical but space is tight. The tires and wheels are mock up only, the front are the height I want back we plan on 2 inches taller 30 inches. We are not running fenders. Plan on a 32 grille shell ( I know it will look like all the rest and not quite welcome on here but we like the look and plan to drive the tires off of it) especially the back ones. I will take all the help I can get so please criticize.

Attached Files:

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Should be interesting.

3. captmullette

captmullette

gonna be a good b uild to follow will subscribe, like the car but maybe because im building one myself......good luck need lots of pics

4. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Captmullete checked out your album. I like it! I'm deffinatly going to need some luck.

5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

You have plenty of room for a more traditional mechanical fan...

6. JoRodder

JoRodder
    from Belgium

Looking good!

7. captmullette

captmullette

10- 4 well you came to the right place, these men are the best, i would not have mine near as far along without the hamb

8. Your doing a FINE job!!!
    Keeping the family involved is a BIG plus!
    You will have to cut more firewall out! Distributor removal! You do not want to have to pull the engine to work on the distributor! Or go to a Ford engine!
    Looks great and I'll look in from time to time.
    Lookin' Good!
    ;)

9. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

I'm close to the stage your at. Lots of good info here. As far as where your at and where your going with the build....that 3 1/2 channel is going to play into any plans for the top... I got to set in my 28 for the first time a few weeks ago....glad my chop was only 3 1/2 inches. My build thread below. Welcome aboard

10. ChopTopJimmy

ChopTopJimmy

If you insist on the bow-tie motor you will definitely need room for the dizzy. I also vote for losing the 3 rib crank pulley, go with a single rib and install a mechanical fan. You will thank yourself in the future if you lose that electric fan. Just my $.02. Cool build. Have fun with it. CTJ

11. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

I plan to go with a single crank pulley, that engine is a rebuilder.I just stuck it in there for mockup. Plan on having the alternator mounted low . I'm still undecided on the fan. I'm tossing around returning the electric and going mechanical. Here is a couple pics of what we started with. As you can see the original frame had a little to much work done to it. I had originallly planned to use the ford engine and trans to be different but it was stuck. I came across a fresh 350 cheap. We are on a budget so it will have to do for now. Thought I would throw in a pic of when we recieved our new parts a little excited. We spent black friday at the local scrap yard and found a roof I cut the skin off. It was tough to get a 9 yr old boy out of there with all the treasures. Had to clean up the rear end also and mount new brackets. I was able to reuse the 4 bar setup just had to shorten the bars.

Attached Files:

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like you have a plan gong. I remember taking my first born son along to the wrecking yards when he was about that age. They won't let them in around here now even if they can twist a wrench better than some older guys.

13. captmullette

captmullette

how did you cut out the roof at the wrecking yard, my local pick and pull has no elec, out in the yard? oh how much did they charge you.... thanks

14. Very nice! (except the sbc part. lol) Looks like a good start and something the kids will remember for a life time. Keep up the good work and your son will be the envy of all at the High School. I like your Corgi. :D

Cheers!

15. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

It was quite the experience. 3 guys to try to get a generator running and use a sawzall. Needless to say they finally picked up the whole vehicle( jeep cherokee not the ideal candidate but hopefully will work) and brought it up to the shop with a loader. $150.00 they cut it off at the middle of the posts. A little High but it was only 5 miles from my house.

16. captmullette

captmullette

oh, hell, guess ill take my generator, thanks

17. abone1930

abone1930

Nice start on a project, that body is awesome compared to mine. If you wanted to flush the back of the doors it will be alot of fab work. The only reason I suicided and did mine is because I tried to to get mine to fit correctly but never could. I cut it all out started from scratch I want do that again for sure :rolleyes: All the picks I have is in my gallery. Will take some more if needed. I would leave them alone unless you are dead set on alot of work :D

18. Lookin good man

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

19. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

I need to get some updated pics on here.

20. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Cant wait to see some more pictures, like the story at the scrapyard....

21. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Been getting a little done. Tore it apart learned how to do electolysis to remove rust.have All the rust replaced but the bottom of the doors. ( still scared to try them yet) some stuff I am not to happy with
    But it will have to do. In the process of building a floor now,then mount the seats.

Attached Files:

22. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Having a little trouble loading pics. I struggle loading pics as bad as building hot rods. None of my patch panels are finished the welds still need sanded and body filler.

Attached Files:

23. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

I also made my own firewall. Not really happy with it, I don't plan to run an H.E.I. but thought I would leave room for 1 and tall valve covers. Now I think it looks terrible. Hopefully the 6-71 and dual Holleys will cover it up.
    I can see making a lot of changes on this car, but I have to keep going forward or I will never get to drive it.

I get something done and then get on the H.a.m.b and see all the great work being done and want to do mine over.

Attached Files:

24. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

I would like to thank everyone on the H.a.m.b I read through tons of builds every day and learn a lot. Probably should have read a lot more before I started.
    I've taken my boy back to the junk yard 2 more times. The last time he bought the front seats. The man asked what he wanted to pay. My boy told him we paid 40 for the bench from you ,I think 40 for these 2 buckets also.
    He wanted 75. my boy said the bench was bigger than the 2 together. It was a funny conversation between a 10 yr old and the owner. They finally settled on 60. but he had to take them out by himself. I busted the bolts loose and he yanked them out. Fun Stuff!

Here is where we are at the moment, getting ready to work on the floor.We shoved it outside to decide on a chop height .Looks like 3- 4 inch is in the plan. I still have to learn the art of metal bumping also, hopefully I can find someone to show me how :)

And we still are undecided on wheels but these are close to the size tires.

Attached Files: