Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1930 Model A Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billthx138, Oct 18, 2009.

1. billthx138

billthx138

Oh it doesn't have to go and its not going to be cheap, figure what people pay for a Brookville steel body alone would be in the ballpark here. Anyway, its killing me that I cant work on it what with the priorities of the new house and all. If it don't sell I'll get back to it eventually.

2. Okay Bill, let's see if we can help you past this moment of frustration in your life.

Throw a couple logs on the fireplace and get a nice warm burn going. Place your favorite binky on the floor in front of the hearth. Now, sit down, cross your legs under your knees. Place your thumb tip to the tip of your F.U. finger on each hand. Rest your forearms on your knees, palms up on the hands. Repeat after me.......ohmmmmmm.........ohmmmmmmmm.............ohmmmmmmmm..............continue for 15 minutes or so.

There.........................all better..................

3. nonipshere

nonipshere

OK., so this could lead to a bad trend of buying restored Model A's, tearing them down and selling off all unwanted parts in order to re-coupe costs. This is cheaper then buying a new re-manufactured body. That aside, it is still a nice build but, if you go old school, go all the way. I like most of it except for the turbo 350. That kills it for me. At least you didn't mate it with the crate 350. The fast sale is also suspicious. Is it a hobby or are you trying to strictly make a $?

4. daddio211

daddio211

Your first post here and you're shitting on a respected member who's building a bitchin hot rod? Why he's selling it is none if your business. If you don't like it don't buy it. But come here starting problems that are none of your business??? Really??? Move along man.

hotrodtodd1960 likes this.
  5. A Rodder

A Rodder

Hmm.... this should get good

Bill, I hear you on the temporary shift on priorities

6. A Rodder

A Rodder

He probably was the high bidder!

7. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Wondered where this build went, tearing down " restored Model As' or any other vintage tin is not a new trend. I know of absolutely 0 [zero] factory hot rod model A Fords produced. This car suits the owner and is his to drive, sell, let it rot, give it away, part it out, let it sit, just whatever the heck he wants to do. Nice job Bill, good build and gives me hope that my perfectly restored Model A will turn out half as nice as yours when I get done hot rodding it. Just my 2 cents.

hotrodtodd1960 likes this.

8. You might be right Joe, but I think a better description would be........troll.

9. Go back in yer hole troll !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. blvdbill

blvdbill
    from California

Very nice car, got to chop them...

11. metalmen

metalmen
    from new jersey

i am building on the same frame with socal engine mounts already welded on, did you move the engine forward more, i need to trim my firewall a lot to fit the engine in then you did with the same channel?

12. brady1929

brady1929

13. billthx138

billthx138

Yes I did, I moved the engine forward 2 inches and I moved the body back about 2 inches to center the rear tires in the well. I also ordered the chassis with out the motor mounts welded in for that very reason.

14. metalmen

metalmen
    from new jersey

your build inspired me on my project hate to see it go but you should be proud of your work, did you run the stock grill or cut it, i couldnt tell. thanks

15. billthx138

billthx138

I cut the shell 2 inches to fit he chopped walker radiator but the face of the grill is still the stock dimensions and hangs 2 inches lower giving the front a lower look.

16. Lopes55

Lopes55

Did you sell the car? Noticed you removed it from Ebay.

17. billthx138

billthx138

Yes it did sell and will be going to a good home where it will be finished in the spirit that it was being built.

18. metalmen

metalmen
    from new jersey

i am not trying to be a pain but i am looking for the front engine mounts you have and cant find any, did you make the part that bolts to the block? thanks again

19. billthx138

billthx138

I got them off eBay quite some time ago and haven't seen anything similar since, sorry.

20. billthx138

billthx138

Well it is done. The Model A has arrived at its new home in So-Cal. Although bittersweet, I am glad that it will be finished in the tradition and style that I had begun with. I wish good luck and happy motoring to the new owner.

Attached Files:

21. Fenders

Fenders

It wasn't an original car -- it had been restored. Now it is improved.

22. I'm over that stage. I would copy his plan in a heartbeat. I wish I had saved the money I have invested in my car and bought something more complete like the OP.

23. fulltimeforester

fulltimeforester
    from california

I own two model A's, stock, I like them, but I also like the builds going on here. After you put your money down you are in control. Keep building and I'll keep following the builds.
    I can't even hear the grumbling in the shadows, can you?

24. metalmen

metalmen
    from new jersey

i am still working on my car you helped me in the past i need some advice on the tire and wheel size you had on this set up, all the different size tires are getting me confused, my car is on the same frame and this size is what i am lookin for thanks

25. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

Where did this car go? New owner updates?

26. Hot Rod Rodney

Hot Rod Rodney
    from USA

Cuts up an original restored Model A, then doesn't even finish it...wow.

With the availability of loose bodies and used hot rods, I can't imagine how that would ever be necessary.
    It's kind of like shooting Passenger Pigeons: when they're gone, they're gone forever.

On the bright side, he did serve to make every surviving stocker that much more valuable.

27. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

It is not like he just dropped it off at a local scrap metal dealer.......the horse is dead.

Any way back to the top.

28. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

The whole argument 'it takes a real man' or 'you have to have balls' to cut up a beautiful stock example of an A annoys me. It actually doesn't mean anything. It just associates masculinity with disregard. Although I love a good hot rod, its always upsetting to see another piece of history disfigured forever, particularly when there are so many good shells ripe for the pickin'!

29. billthx138

billthx138

Bobby Walden in Pomona finished the car for the new owner here are a couple photos of it now. acoupe.jpg acoupe2.jpg

akoutlaw and chriseakin like this.
  30. billthx138

billthx138

Missed it so much had to find a replacement, was a tuff job but I think I came close with this one. IMG_1015.JPG IMG_1016.JPG IMG_1017.JPG IMG_1018.JPG
    I plan on changing the tires and some chrome for the frontend but its a beauty.

akoutlaw and hotrodtodd1960 like this.