Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1930 Model A Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billthx138, Oct 18, 2009.

1. hasty

hasty

Much better after. Good luck with the build.

Lil'Alb likes this.
  2. billthx138

billthx138

Yes I cut the lower lip off making the borrom of sub-rail flat, The cross rails where cut to fit on top of the sub-rails giving the illusion of a stock floor. Once the body slipped over the frame the rear of the body will need some shimming to make the body look level on it. I will see if I can get a clear photo to show the process.

3. -Brent-

-Brent-

Awesome, this is the best solution I've seen so far. I'm going to order rails ASAP!

Thanks.

4. billthx138

billthx138

I'm glad it gives you ideas here are some pictures that might help with your plans on channeling your coupe.

Attached Files:

5. i like that. dont understand why some people think cutting up an old ford (even when in nice condition isnt cool. )guess they missed the point of hot rodding. go hard, theres a restores site for the naysayers!

Lil'Alb likes this.
  6. billthx138

billthx138

I finished the chop in time for the So-Cal open house which also kicked of SEMA here in Vegas. I'm using one of their chassis that was designed for the 1928-29 model A. After some measurements I was sure that it would be right for the slight channel job. The coupe was in good company, Baskerville's deuce and the So-Cal deuce were there also.

Attached Files:

7. dvalj83

dvalj83

looks good here is the one we did

Attached Files:

8. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Very nice. Seems like 28-29 and 32s get all the love.

9. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

If you wanna be you, be you... And if you wanna be me, be me... I WANNA BE YOU!

10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

11. -Brent-

-Brent-

Very cool, Bill! Have fun at SEMA!

12. 31HotRodLincoln

31HotRodLincoln

Thanks for the pics Bill...I like your project, it looks like you will get what you want.

13. RocketPinstriping

RocketPinstriping
    from Waco Tx

i wholeheartedly agree... but to each his own:confused:... the value of every other original model A just went up 3.2% lol :) pushing them that much further from my grasp, alas i will never own an original anything, lol although why would i?
    before any one blasts me for "not understanding" i gave up on understanding people a looong time ago and although i dont understand, it definitely
    looks good so far, i can dig it...

14. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

thats the way to go, looks great.

15. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

i would have left it stock and lowered it and made it cool you my friend have done a lot don't mean to be mr negative but i would have left it and done minor changes

16. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Amen to that!
    The day I'm too scared to cut up a car is the day I give up hot rodding and become a restorer!
    You go for it!Subscribed.

17. billys54

billys54

keep up the work it looks great

18. poweredbylincoln

poweredbylincoln
    BANNED

that car was perfect how its was....ur doing good work...but that one should have stayed stock

19. -Brent-

-Brent-

Fellas, 4 million A models came out of Ford Motor Co., They've been getting cut up and changed ever since. It's not like he's leaving this one out to pasture... he's making it his own and doing a damn good job of it. Why not start with a good canvas to paint on, rather than making the canvas, then painting?

20. Fogger

Fogger

Having know Grey Baskerville and hearing his numerous funny quotes I recall one that always made me laugh, "Anybody can restore a car, it takes a real man to cut one up". One of my oldest friends didn't chop his '32 3W because it was a perfect dry California car. Well 13 years later when I chopped mine he cut up his finished and painted coupe 2" and wished he'd done it when the car was first put together. To each his own, all you guys that can't understand that have the problem. Hot Rods are an individual expression and everyone has his likes and dislikes.

21. jtille

jtille

Nice Build I would have cut it myself.I will keep an eye on this build

22. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Yep. Combined moderate chop/channel always looks better than trying to do it all with chop only. :D

23. billthx138

billthx138

Just finished with the floors and rear subrails, will be posting photos soon. almost ready to start preping for paint...

24. mb31coupe

mb31coupe
    from pa.

I think it looks GREAT!!!! It's your car and your money, build it the way you want and makes you happy or why build it!!! very nice detail and work so far. I agree with you and I'm building a similar build. 1931 A that I just chopped 3" this week end with help of friends. Are you making the windshield flip out or permenent. good luck with your project...:D

25. Gettin' a little confused here.

Restorers try to start with the best car they can find and most hot rodders do the same.

Although hot rodders start with cars and parts that many restorers won't touch.

On average, a well done hot rodded Model A and similar usually surpasses the restorers efforts by a considerable margin.

Geez, any time now they'll start making new bodies and we can all start with new....

26. Any individual that states that it is "Too Nice" to cut up is definitely on the wrong message board. Last time I checked we were on a hotrod website. If you want a little gennie to drive in parades that's fine but don't try to make the guy feel guilty for building one badass hotrod.(and it looks like it is going to be) After all, that is why I am here. Your reasons may be different though.

27. -Brent-

-Brent-

Cool... I'd like to see the pics.

28. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

Love it,take it from me,you did the right thing,i am replaceing a shit load of metal on mine,if i build another i will find the best parade car i can find,i have had a few of these and my dumb ass sold the best to brent(you fucker)thinking i would find a better one
    Hey brent i am doing a slight channel and it also matters on the center frame crossmember you use,i have a chassies eng. and i had to make my own cross channels with a notch to clear the frame center crossmember,using a tube x member would be easy but that wasnt the look i wanted...quinton

-Brent- likes this.
  29. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Actually, I like 'em in both restored and traditional hot rod configurations. Its just as cool to see a restored model A as it is to see one hot rodded. Either way, its like viewing a little bit of automotive history. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I wouldn't have started with such a pristine candidate, for as previously stated by many others here, there's plenty of other coupes out there that need saving.

But, its your car. So, I hope it comes out nice. Good luck with it.

30. -Brent-

-Brent-

:D

Thanks for the heads up... and the nice compliment on my car. I bought it from a nice fella... :D I was thinking about the cross member because there's a small hump that goes over the transmission that may interfere w/ the subrail connectors. I do like what Bill has done though and I think it could work well for me. I need to get it all laid out to see what issues there'll be.