Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1930 Model A Pick-up Build A.K.A. No Talent Zilch Builds the "Captain"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stutz, Feb 7, 2012.

1. At least it will be a roller by A.S.T.

2. Starting to build of my perch. I decided to keep it simple. Step one. Assemble the axle, spring, and wishbones and position it to king pin camber and ride height. Hamb research.... always helpful. 3/8'' plate and a new fangled Drill press. KEEP IT SIMPLE. I was so tempted to get artsy, but I decided it would not flow well with the straight line, soft edge style of the rest of the chassis so far. Step two... measure everything again. Step Three.... measure again. Step Four, cut, drill, and grind out three pieces for the basic shape. Two side plates that rise from the crossmember and a spring perch plate. I bolts the plate, and set the sides. Measuring everything again. Once I was happy and felt confident, I tacked everything. Step Five, disassemble the front end and weld the perch solid. Grinding and filing followed, which will continue when i get to the point of paint (or powder coat) and fine tune everything on the frame even more. Once I had it all welded and cleaned up... reassembly. It hangs solid and straight from the perch. I love it! it officially looks like a Hot Rod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tacked in place... :)
    [​IMG]

Welded and filed down clean
    [​IMG]

I think it turned out nice
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boom!
    [​IMG]

Next step is to get the correct bearing to mate the Cadillac drums to the '39 spindles. I searched the archives and might need some advice if any has some for me. So close to being able to push this bitch around that I can taste it.

Happy Memorial Day everyone! Thank you to the troops and always remember their sacrifice so that we can do the things we love in peace!

3. jdownunder

jdownunder

you sound excited.good for you
    nice clean fabricating

4. I am excited damn it! This is what makes me want to get up in the morning.

5. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Great progress. Can't wait to see it in person.

6. Anyone used the steel Cadillac finned drums on a hot rod in this fashion? I am just making sure I'm doing it right.

7. Dude.... Thats a hot ass ride. Id like to buy your blue prints to copy Most of it . lol

8. Just stumbled onto this. Real nice work. You got skills man!! Keep up the great work. Todd

9. Stutz, might check your bearing sizes between the two and give U.S. Bearing a call in Billings. They helped me out last fall when I changed to late F-1 hubs and backing plates on my axle.

10. I ended up getting a set of bearing adapters (thanks Bobbyb), and a set of Aluminum Buick drums. That should do the trick! I'll put up some pictures in the near future. Been way way too busy at work.

11. Well... The Buick drums will need a stud spacer so the deep Cad wheels fit. So I just went ahead and took it of the jack with the Cad drums "on". I know what I have to do for the front axle and the spindles, so I will hold of until I tear it back down. I'm on to the body now... but heres the pictures of what the finally stance will be. Knock out the jack stands and it stands on its own. I love it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sexy...

12. Great milestone!
    Even your dog looks to be smiling!

13. Sorry for the damn camera phone quality. I keep forgetting to bring my "good" camera. But such is a day in the life of a zilch. haha

14. davo461

davo461

Love your 'apprentice'.

15. Thanks man, I really would be lost with out my pup.

Ok, quick update. I've been as busy as Charlie Sheen's drug dealer and haven't had, until late, as much time on my build as I would like. That being said I got to tear into it some last Saturday and am making good progress. I have started on the sub-frame for the body, positioned it, and even chopped the front pillars. Its nice to say that I actually own a "chopped" Model A now. haha... Anywho, I haven't been using my camera as much, but soon I will have some detailed photos to show you what I have been up to. Its really looking fucking primo. Here's my teaser for the night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Big fucking grin

16. Quick update! I've been working on getting this ready to look half respectable for my show in august. Building the subframe, and extending the body. I used 1x2 and 1x1 tube and made runners that go down the frame rails. Rubber mounted between the Frame and sub frame with 1/4 inch cadillac floor mat cut up pieces. Drilled and welded nuts into the frame flush and drill through the tub so that the Bolt are inside the tubes. I'll show a detail of that later. But I played around last night with the body extension after getting the back where its needs to be, and after cutting down and cleaning up the 5 window couple door structures. I used a perfectly good A Sedan door for the donor panel. The bottom is terribly rusty, so it will need replaced. Here's the preview...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I can stretch my legs.

17. Happy 4th. Seven months since I started this.

18. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

It's looking good my friend.

19. My1932

My1932

WOW! Amazing job with the metal work. Great progress/Great Build

20. No Clue...

No Clue...
    from Lusk, WY

Awesome progress Stutz. Keep it coming !!

21. I appreciate the positive comments. Keeps me motivated! Thanks!

22. I really like how that cab quarter turned out man

23. Thanks, there is a shit load of work to get them right. But the size and portions I think are right in my mind.

This weekend I got to finally bring it out of the shop. Didn't get one... not one... opportunity to talk to anyone about it because I was running the Absaroka State Takeover the whole time. That part sucks but got to look at it from another perspective.

Heres a shot from Verbal Kints photos...

[​IMG]

24. Looks great with some sun shining on it!

25. I literally haven't done shit on this poor little neglected rod since I moved it back into the shop after our Car Show. I spend a hour replanning my next move, so with a little free time I will be back in full swing. Stupid job always gettin' in the way.

26. davo461

davo461

What you have done is truly weird and I love it! A visionary project!
    Keep at it.
    Davo.

27. ezdusit

ezdusit

Just found this build. Great work, Stutz. I'm subscribed!

28. sololobo

sololobo

Always great to see a man and his dog build a car. It is lookin real nice bro, so is the sweet dog. Rock on ~sololobo~