The Jalopy Journal
Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rottenleonard, Nov 22, 2013.
Here is how it sits with a little shimming
Most of the panels are not pre drilled and i like to use layout dye and a set of dividers to mark and transfer hole locations from one flange to another.
It is always a pita to center punch these flimsy flanges so today i cut up an extra pair of Nipexs i had and made a center punch plier. Looks crude but works great.
On the upper trunk filler panel I decided to take the time to build a drill jig for both the panel and the trunk hinges.
Here is the one for the trunk lid portion yuou just line it up with the upper surface and the front edge.
Here it is after the holes have been chamfered and the inner block installed.
Next up this part of the drill jig is lined up with the top of the quarter panels. It places the mounting holes for the filler panel as well as locates the holes for the hinge.
Then used the same jig on the filler panel just hanging the hinge portion over the end.
Here it is put together for the first time
And the first look at the gaps, pretty happy with that.
Now the bottom however looks a little like a mashed cat...
"A mashed cat"? Do you know a fella named Jack who grew up down in Wilder in the 60's? The best story teller I ever met! I really enjoy following your buildS Leonard. Thank you for sharing.
Thanks Man, I was starting to wonder if "this thing was on?"
Very nice work to say the least.
On to the trunk panels,
Started with these filler panels off the plasma cam.
Pulled the quarters after marking the location of the c notches, then started trimming.
Then made this steel buck to work the lip around the notch.
After applying weld thru primer to both pieced the lip was folded over the filler panel and spot welded.
Here they are re-installed
Very nice workmanship....Keep it moving as I can't wait to see it done.
Next up was the lower panel that holds the trunk striker, i did my own setup on the last body, but on this one i used the Brookville piece, it seemed to work really well with my homebrew trunk floor.
So i was reading Flop's week long Brookville build and he had the same issue with the fitment at the bottom of the trunk. Someone in his thread piped up that Brookville has two styles of lower panels, seemed like a streatch but if it saved some work might be worth a shot. So I emailed Rick at Brookville abd here was his reply
"The below the deck lid panel needs to be one that we make that matches the arch in the back bottom of the deck lid.
The one that is on the car is the standard panel for the straight deck lids.
The body that we styled ours from was a Gennie body, they were apparently built just a little different, we have had this issue before."
So tomorrow I will re-order that panel and give it a go.
I know this isn't real exciting stuff but here is the blow by blow. Wasn't real impressed with the stanchion base nor the cross support so i just canned them an started shaping some 1" box tube to support the cowl sides.
I dont have square dies for my ring roller so i just used my biggest round dies and it coulnt have worked any better.
For the corners i did order a 3.5" clr die for my pro-tools bender but after a week they still hadn't shipped so with a bunch of relief cuts and welds i had the ends rounded and running down the A pillar.
The cross brace is a temp to hold things in the right spot while fitting the cross support tube.
Next up was round filing most of the dash rail as it interferes with the Hallock
I used rivnuts in the cross tube to screw the dash to.
Then it was paper templates for the filler panels. I then scanned and re-drew them in turbo cad and burned them out.
Used a tipping die in the bead roller to rough it in over the A piller
Then used a step die to get over the cross tube
Still needs some tweeks but i think it will get there.
Right about that time a buddy of mine called from the local livestock yard and a steer had kicked him in the knee, needed a ride to the emergency room and someone to offload 50 head of cattle from his semi. So just because you leave the farm and start a hotrod shop doesn't nessisarily mean you won't go home covered in cow shit...
Forgot to stop and take some pictures, but a filler strip was cut and hemmed just like i did on the first car. Here i am getting it fit good enough to tig weld.
Here it is with the side pieces welded and ground. Next was to mark and trim it to the dash rail.
After trimming and tig welding the whole seam it was plannished and finished.
Should finish this piece tomorrow.
The auto shop teacher that has the first car sent me some updates, looks like they are making some awesome progress.
Separate names with a comma.