Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1930 Model A frame cross member question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by evobuilder, Oct 10, 2019.

1. evobuilder

evobuilder

I have a 1930 Model A frame fully assembled, running car.... I want to replace the nuts/bolts on the side of the frame that holds in the front cross member (side=facing the wheel) and was wondering if I can simply remove these bolts to replace, or am I dealing with sprung issues? Meaning.... as I loosen, is the cross member and the frame rail going to separate . The reason I need to remove all side bolts (x2) is that I need to grind off some super ugly welded shock mounting brackets.

So, the simple question is.... if I remove all side nuts/bolts from the core support/frame rail, what should I expect to happen?

2. -Brent-

-Brent-

Originally, they were riveted in. Whenever I've removed them there wasn't so much as the frame "springing". If the frame is square, in my experience, you'll have to hammer it back some to get it out.

3. evobuilder

evobuilder

thank you.... they are all nuts and bolts, so obviously, the rivets have been replaced.

4. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you're concerned about the frame moving, lay a couple pieces of angle iron across the top and bottom of the frame and secure with C clamps so the frame doesn't move.

5. How about a couple of pieces of threaded stock using existing bolt holes and nuts on both sides where it goes through the frame? Difficult to say without seeing the car in person.

Charlie Stephens

6. alchemy

alchemy

There are still rivets (maybe bolts in your case) on the top edge and bottom edge of the crossmember. I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe you can remove and grind them one at a time. But even if you had to take all (is it two or three?) of the side bolts out at the same time I don't think the frame would spring crooked.

pitman likes this.
  7. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

One at a time sounds best.....

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  8. If your still in the construction stage tack weld a piece of steel just forward of it.You can grind the welds off later.

9. pitman

pitman

Open 'C' channels in steel flex easily. You'll be okay. T'ain't much beside the X-member up front keeping everthing square.

10. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER