Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1930 Model A drivetrain swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Preston Preuss, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Preston Preuss

Preston Preuss

Have a 1930 Model A with a stock body, interested in swapping a small block ford, manual gear banger and a leaf sprung rear end. Wondering what fits best? Is there a donor car that could give me everything I'm looking for. Thanks guys

2. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

3. I am a little confused. When you talk about a "banger" do you mean you want a 4 cylinder engine? Did you mean parallel leaf springs instead of the transverse leaf spring that is in a stock Model A? Spend some time here working out the details before you start cutting. I have a 181 Mercruiser "banger" in my Avatar. You should update your profile to include your general location, you can never tell when that information will be important. By the way, what body style do you have and how about a couple of pictures? Welcome to HAMB, you will find a lot of information here.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    haileyp1014 likes this.
  4. Preston Preuss

Preston Preuss

By a manual gear banger I mean a standard shift transmission. And yes parallel leafs. And its a tudor coupe.

5. Preston Preuss

Preston Preuss

Here's a pic

Attached Files:

6. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

7. Looks like a nice car, get it in outa the rain! :) Welcome to the HAMB.

8. Preston Preuss

Preston Preuss

Only pulled it out for a wash. She lives in the garage. For 30 years now

kiwijeff and pat59 like this.
  9. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

Mine has been living outside for 86 years

kiwijeff likes this.
  10. Keep the transverse rear spring,stronger rear end '35 wire wheels or steelies.

11. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Parallel leafs are not a good option on a Model A....

12. So you have owned it for 30 years?
    If so, that's cool, and it's definitely time for a change, haha.
    Not sure what the cool headlights are, but I like em, just need a little lowering.
    There's lots of info on lots of different engine swaps for Model As here.
    Play with the search function, there's enough info to keep your eyeballs busy, for months.
    Please tell us more about this, begging to be rodded, Model A Coupe.

13. Preston Preuss

Preston Preuss

Been in the family since the 60's has been mine for about 4 years. Is there a reason that chassis won't like parallel leafs?

kiwijeff likes this.
  14. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

Yes the frame ends at the center of the rearend.

X38 likes this.
  15. Preston Preuss

Preston Preuss

Well ok then, that settles that.

16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hi, Preston. Welcome to the HAMB. Beautiful Coupe you have there, great number of guys here that are 'in tune' with the best way to go with your project, so if you'll allow us to recommend direction, I'd suggest you look thru the posts (and 'builds') of similar Model A Coupes...
    I can see a chassis built alongside your car, then just switch body and fenders...sell the rolling original chassis, recoup some $$.
    A 'donor car' will provide engine and tranny, possibly rear end...but the rear end will have to fall within certain parameters... Read the Model A posts, there is a plethora of them.
    Good hunting!

17. adam401

adam401

That looks like a VERY nice unscrewed with car. I mean this in the most non ball busting way possible. Have you considered the straight up av8 route?

Your plan sounds like it's gonna produce a vehicle that won't do justice to the stocker you're starting with.

Flathead powered a with early brakes is a fairly straight forward build that will yield a car that's always worth money and will stand the test of time. A proven combo that can hold its own anywhere. Just a though bro.

18. F&J

F&J

Small block Ford is way too long in stock form. You can buy parts to shorten it at the front. $$

19. Make friends with someone at the DMV. Be sure to get their name. Make sure they are by your side every step of the way. The serial number of the car that is on the title is may be on the engine or a tag that your state DMV added to the door jam. If the car is really original this number will also be under the body stamped into the top of the frame rail near the front left of the cowl. You will have to pull the body too see it. Getting the paper work straight and the car in your name should be YOUR NUMBER ONE PRIORITY!!!
    Next ask the DMV how to handle your next steps.

Charlie Stephens

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Sound advice as usual, from Charlie. (sincere)

21. I agree 100% with Adam. My Avatar has a 181 cubic inch Mercruiser Marine (a big version of the Chevy II 153 cubic inch passenger car engine). I have an early Ford transmission ('39) and read end ('32). I must admit it probably needs big and little tires on Kelsey's and maybe a reversed eye spring in the front. Be sure to get everything planned out before your start unbolting or cutting. When you are finished planning post your plans for comments, it will save you time, money and problems in the long run.

Charlie Stephens

22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I totally understand the desire to swap in a V8 engine/gear train, but if I was you, i'd take my time figuring out which way to go. A small block Ford would be my very last choice in that car, there are far better choices out there. If you want to stick with a Ford engine, go flathead or Y-block. But there are plenty of other choices out there that are far cooler than a SBF, IMHO of course. But if I was you I'd start just by pulling the fenders, running boards and aprons, work on adjusting the stance with suspension mods and tweak that stock banger engine and get that thing on the road ASAP and start having some fun with it. Banger rods are cool. You can find plenty of help around here on how to just what I posted, the car will get attention anywhere you take it, you will enjoy the hell out of it, and you'll learn all about your car and how it's put together and what you need to do to swap the power train. In the meantime you can be gathering the parts and making the connections you're gonna need to make the swap. How's your metal working skills? Do you weld? If not, you're gonna need to learn, and get the tooling to do it, or find somebody who can do the work for you.

Like I said, take your time, there should be no rush. Get it running as a banger, enjoy it, develop a plan. (and don't go SBF!)

23. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Here, this is what I'm talkin' about:
    [​IMG]
    It would not be difficult getting your car to this point. You could be out driving and enjoying the hell out of it, while you make plans and gather parts.

Preston Preuss and haileyp1014 like this.
  24. Preston Preuss

Preston Preuss

I was a mechanic for 5 years and now I'm in fabrication so not to worried about the work just cash and time. I can admire the classic look of the flat head V8 but spending more for less power and reliability kind of bugs me. I like classic but what I really like is dumping the clutch and not breaking the bank.

25. If you're "in fabrication", just do it.

This has been quoted here before:

Cristopher Walken; "If you want to learn how to build a house, build a house. Don't ask anybody, just build a house."

Preston Preuss likes this.
  26. RMONTY

RMONTY

I think Preston needs more cowbell!

clunker likes this.
  27. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Try this.
    Clean it up. Get it going and stoping.
    Drive the old girl around the block....to the hamburger joint. Just to see if she brings you joy. She might surprise you. You may find she does not "bug" you.....at all.
    Yeah this is a hot rod forum oozing with all manner of B.S. Bet hey......
    It's OK to love a stock Model A.

clunker likes this.
  28. Preston Preuss

Preston Preuss

I do appreciate it being so original it's just that where I live I have to drive open highway 30 miles to go anywhere. I am going to try and drive it around a little before it goes under.

29. Preston Preuss

Preston Preuss

Do you know what engine is in that thing?

30. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Everybody's got their favorites and some take the long road. I went the Ford-in-a-Ford route and love it but there are a few things you need to know. You'll need the Ford Motorsports short water pump, but it's not big bucks. You'll also need to recess the firewall..... 5-1/2" in my case. Believe it or not it really didn't kill the legroom much at all.
    Things will be TIGHT so be prepared to get creative. I would STRONGLY suggest going with firewall brake AND clutch master cylinders (even though I really don't like the look) rather than going under floor. Was less of an issue for my '31 as it's an auto, but room under the floor is still at a premium.
    Great start and remember to enjoy the journey........
    [​IMG]