Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1930 Model A Coupe Build "Help Needed"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rereaves, Mar 28, 2018.

1. rereaves

rereaves

My request for help is for those who have come before me and have the experience. I have been working on my Model A Coupe for way to long and have finally got to the point that I'm just spinning my wheels. I have posted pictures of the build and will attempt to post a few more to help you understand what I need.

1. The body is on 32 rails, the rolling chassis is complete less plumbing, clutch and brake master cylinder, drive shaft and gears. l want to give credit to Cornfield Customs for building what I think is a great chassis.
    2. Body major sheet metal work is complete, floor is complete, gas tank fabricated. Still needs bodywork prior to paint. I want to give credit to Yokum's Signature Hot Rods for major metal work, very talented young man.
    3. Engine SBF has been rebuilt and 5 speed trans is complete.

It's now time for me to take over. I really enjoy the build process but it has taken a long time and a lot of resources to get to this point.

If I ever get this coupe on the road I plan to drive it maybe not across country but within reasonable distances. Here's is were I need help from those who have done it: My current thought is to separate the body and chassis, prime the chassis, finish plumbing, steering, clutch and brake masters etc. Finish body work on cab and prime. Marry the body and chassis back together to complete build, electrical, gages, seat, etc. Install Motor and Transmission fire up and debug the build while in prime, disassemble and paint. This seems like a lot of duplication but maybe it is all necessary. If I apply color (not sure what color) and then find it necessary to grind and weld it is all for nothing.

So, what series of events is the correct way to go, please give me some feedback. Build it complete in prime and debug teardown and paint or add color along the way.
    Ron's Coupe Build

2. upspirate

upspirate

In my opinion, build prime & debug,tear down then final paint is the way to go

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

I agree, get it till you’re ready to wire it, then blow it apart, prime, paint, reassemble

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

5. Yep. Do everything sans wiring and interior. Then blow it apart. Mark, bag and tag everything.
    Pull body and engine trans combo. Paint and powder coat everything needed. Run plumbing, Then Final assembly, wiring, and interior, then Enjoy the piss out of it.
    I would also add that if you are going to put por15 on anything (underside of body or trunk area for example) do it before you do final painting...that shit seems to get everywhere and it will not come off of top coat.
    Nice looking build by the way...love the stance.
    Chappy

6. alchemy

alchemy

Might be a good idea to have your upholsterer take a look at it before paint as well. He might like some tabs or other attachment points welded in certain areas, or maybe even cut some upholstery panel boards out while he isn't worried about scratching the paint.

Glass might be cut before paint also. Figure out how to get the glass down in the door before you are scratching up the window openings.

X38, belair and pitman like this.
  7. pitman

pitman

If you make a wiring plan-for harness, then make a large format sketch, w/2 connectors, located in drawing centrally. Draw your leads outward, put symbols-hardware. Then make firewall holes, drill and mount connectors, Might do same for brake line mts. Followed by paint, the plumb & wiring are done easier.

8. rereaves

rereaves

Thanks for the reply and advice it is greatly appreciated. Did you receive the pictures with my post.
    \Ron

9. rereaves

rereaves

Sorry I thought others said they could see the pictures, appreciate the reply will try to post pictures again

10. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

For some reason I didn’t get your pics unfortunately, seems like others did

11. rereaves

rereaves

Thanks good advice

12. rereaves

rereaves

Good Idea, thanks

13. I also don’t see the pics but I believe it’s because I’m on the app, not the web

14. Latigo

Latigo

Put it together. Plumbed and running. Shoot some epoxy primer and drive it and have fun. Break it down over the winter in a couple of years and fix things for final paint and assembly. Gotta drive it to enjoy it!

15. rereaves

rereaves

16. rereaves

rereaves

That was what I thought but was not sure. In addition I have been working on this coupe for way to long and I'm getting OLD so need to get off my ass and make this happen.

17. rereaves

rereaves

Think your correct I was on Web when posting.

18. rereaves

rereaves

Thanks again everyone for the reply to my build sequence question thank I have a plan now to prime and assemble complete, then tear down. While I have your attention, I would like to get some feedback on battery mounting. I plan to mount my aluminum fuel tank in the trunk and would like to mount the battery in trunk also but worried about potential spark and fuel issue. What is best battery location or mounting suggestion from those who have paid the price of experience.

19. bubba55

bubba55

I just bought a '30 A coupe and was going to put gas tank in trunk and use a plastic battery box to shield - if anybody has better idea - please speak up. Thanks

20. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Most guys put them in the trunk inside a shielding box. Really no where else to put it. I thought about under the floor on the passenger side with a drop type box Speedway sells.

21. rereaves

rereaves

I agree it looks like some type of shielding box and in the trunk it goes. Thanks for comments and feedback.

22. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

23. look up @Fitnessguy and his build. He used a ammo box and a sealed battery mounted in the trunk. I am going to follow his lead in my build. I will finish my frame with paint and drive mine in primer for a year then tear it down and paint the body fwiw.