Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1930 Ford headlights

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ryanhewitt, Jun 28, 2017.

1. ryanhewitt

ryanhewitt
    from Vegas NV

New to the Hamb, and got a question. I'm looking at buying some 1930 Ford headlights and would like some info on what to look for. Should the glass AND buckets have the Ford script? Would these be steel or stainless steel? These may be common knowledge questions, but I'm new to the game.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

2. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Buckets will be stainless and stamped "script & TWOLITE HEADLIGHT" Lens will have script too.

3. Buckets will be stainless unless they came originally on a truck in which case they will be regular steel. The '28-'29 buckets were nickel plated (or painted black on trucks) and more pointed. The lens will be flat (beginning in 1932 the lenses were curved) There will be an adjustment screw in the center of the back of the bucket (there was no screw beginning in 1932). You didn't ask but I would get the reflectors from Bratton's Ford Parts, (301) 829-9880 (they are the best) and 12 volt bulbs from Ron Francis Wire Works, https://www.ronfrancis.com, (800) 292-1940. Try to use original sockets but if you must buy repros go to A&L Parts Specialties, (860) 693-0112. You should put your general location in your profile, you can never tell when it will come in handy to someone.

Charlie Stephens

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    lurker mick likes this.
  4. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

'28-'29s cars were plated and shaped like 1/2 a football, early '28s had fluted lenses [vertical grooves].
    sharper forward edges on the plated bezels...
    '30-'31s cars were stainless and shaped like 1/2 a basketball, same lenses from mid '28 to '31... rounded forward edges on the stainless bezel...
    both series trucks had black painted steel buckets ...
    '28-'29 headlight bars had a tighter radius that let the lights sit higher on the car...
    '30-'31 headlight bars were flatter and the lights sat lower on the car...
    so you don't mix them, '30-'31 bars were straight across the radiator face.... '32 and '32 to '34 trucks had a left to right radius to clear the peaked grill shells..
    I have 4 pair of stainless lights and 1 pr. of commercials and a bunch of bars if you can't find them locally...

5. ryanhewitt

ryanhewitt
    from Vegas NV

First off wow, truly a wealth of knowledge on this board. Thank you all for the info and pics, and I'll chime back in if I end up acquiring them.

Thanks again,

Ryan

6. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

if the owner will let you take the bezels off...
    there is a circular steel ring that anchors the top bezel catch tab and supports the bottom latch,
    often rusted out along the bottom... here in ME. anyway...

7. ryanhewitt

ryanhewitt
    from Vegas NV

It didn't work out. Timing and the description the seller had didn't match the information posted here. I'll keep looking, car has working lamps on it now so no rush. Thanks again.

Ryan