Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1930 Ford Coupe, another vintage hotrod salvage project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stubbsrodandcustom, May 25, 2021.

1. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Project UPDATE! December 2021...

Car has been running good. Real good honestly... I decided to control the radiator purging when driving by doing a thermostat in the upper radiator hose... WORKED PERFECTLY.. stays 160 all the time now, no more coolant purging out of the overflow...

So I got tired of not having an Emergency brake... Figured I would need one for the Hotrod Showdown in Wimberly... So what started as just doing E brake repairs, went into full shoe replacement, clean and rebuild of the brakes, to tear the rear end down and rebuild and install the new gear I had bought for it. 3.27 gear... Thankfully I have enough motor to pull it...

So here it is all torn down... and pulling axle out of the car...Learned a cool trick going back in though... TIP of the day, get one of the 15 dollar furniture dollys from harbor freight, the wood ones, put the axle assembly on it with the banjo in the hole, puts it 1" off the ground, rolls easy and makes torque tube installation a snap......

COUPE 75.jpg

All stripped down... The spring perches on the axle bells were in bad shape... So I had another set of bells here so I decided to go ahead and use them...

COUPE 77.jpg

Thankfully I had bought a wire wheel and small bench grinder, that thing earned its 40 bucks I paid for it and then some... The Rock Island vice worked perfect to do the gear swap, thankfully it had enough throat on the vice to chuck up axle tubes and banjo section etc...
    COUPE 78.jpg

So here is the gear pattern I was able to get, not bad at all... I havent rebuild a rear end in 20 years....1 Shim on one side and no shim on the other....
    COUPE 82.jpg

So here she is all back together, new brake shoes, springs, cleaned up, new cast drums etc...This was the point I was adjusting brakes and adding 600W lube...

COUPE 80.jpg

Success was to be had, I learned a few things.... How to safety wire....How much spring tension is on the Buggy spring....

But here she is, first outing with axle rebuilt... The car is tons smoother now for some reason... Cruising 60 like nothing... Shifting 2 to 3 at 38 to 40 mph now... I have all 3 gears and love it now... 3rd gear is now a bit of a load but gaining top speed is always good... Few minor things to dial in to push speeds up higher... No noise, no weird issues... I am very happy...

COUPE 81.jpg

Hope everyone had a great Christmas... Happy New year in a few days...

Attached Files:

2. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

I've tidied up perches using a bit of copper water pipe and the mig. Decent A rears are pretty thin on the ground down here.

20170620_190049.jpg

3. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Some updates, decided to put a full exhaust on it. I have never built an exhaust on the floor. But Didnt turn out too bad. First weld by the collector was learning curve, the rest butter... 39 dollar Jones Exhaust chambered muffler, not bad tone at all...
    COUPE 83.jpg COUPE 84.jpg

Then decided to give the garnish molding a little cleaning and see how they would clean up.. Here is before and after. Still a little paint left... Good enough for now.

COUPE 85.jpg

Stay tuned... She has a top now and just got to go pick her up...

4. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

So we braved the cold and wet for The Hotrod Showdown. First time driving this car on proper HILLS. All good on my report, steep grades from a stop I was having to upshift starting from 1st to second and still pulling through fine. Brakes are great all in all. Finally spun the tires a bit having fun. Went grocery shopping in the car and ran around decently around town there. Here is one pic on river road in wimberly. Its a pretty cool spot for a show for sure.

When I got home, I decided it was time to check the valves etc. The exhaust were .06 when they were supposed to be .014, so went ahead and adjusted them out correctly. Seems smoother for sure so we will see how she drives this weekend.

Looking for dual carbs now, I think I need some more fuel. Or just more punishment.

COUPE 86.jpg

The view out the window at the showdown was pretty dang cool also.

SHOWDOWN1.jpg

5. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Cleaned her up after adjusting the valves and some other random work etc...

COUPE 87.jpg

I really think that 17's or 18s on the rear will be the hot ticket this year...

COUPE 88.jpg

kadillackid, Squablow, brEad and 7 others like this.
  6. Looks awesome!

stubbsrodandcustom likes this.
  7. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

So, trying to address my high speed cutting out etc... So 1/4" gravity isnt enough for this hot of motor. SO now were at 3/8" line and I am pleased to say... No more starvation on the freeway. Pushed it to 70... Still have a few things to work out but did 100 miles over the last week in her.

Here is the fuel line upgrade...
    COUPE 92.jpg

Then some from the random travels etc.

COUPE 90.jpg COUPE 91.jpg COUPE89.jpg

brEad, Shadow Creek and Zax like this.
  8. steve hackel

steve hackel

Congratulations Bob: I've followed this from the beginning and it's been fun watching you - it
    Iv left everything sitting since a
    Stage 4 surgery, and now doing the radiation therapy thing so that I can work in the garage at night with the lights off - I glow in the dark
    Have fun, at least more than me, and I plan on finishing the sub floor in the coupe sometime in late may.
    It's a long-time since Hetshey and the old speed equipment days. Regards, Steve

stubbsrodandcustom likes this.
  9. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Thanks Steve, you need to change your name to "Radioactive Man..." Get well soon man and have fun playing in the dark.... The subfloor is deff a time consuming task for sure.

10. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Updates, I have to say, putting this car in 3rd and pulling hills around Austin Tx was fun for sure... Pulled some nasty grades for sure without peril.

All over town the little banger went flawlessly. Most miles I have racked up so far in a weekend on her. I know the clutch is not happy anymore after cruising Congress that was more like a park and move ever 2 minutes than a cruise. Ahhh the smell of clutch..... But she made it... I did very little freeway flying due to traffic sucking on freeways also around there but hey its Austin, It sucks. Few pics from the weekend...
    ROUNDUP01.jpg ROUNDUP02.jpg ROUNDUP03.jpg ROUNDUP04.jpg ROUNDUP05.jpg

So for the bad......
    I used to love roundup... Now the homelessness everywhere, crackheads on the corner, and theft everywhere (hotel and the show) is downright despicable.

Had a blast with my buddies and club and my son, so the memories made outweigh the negative for me this trip, but my buddies who got things stolen or broken into, not so much.

Shadow Creek, Squablow and tr_rodder like this.