Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1930 Dodge 3w Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirty30Dodge, Jan 23, 2010.

1. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

your build is lookin' better all the time! Keep up the great work!

2. edgeabilly

edgeabilly

I think that I just bought a 1930 Chrysler 5w and will be putting a 331 Chrysler fire power in it. (I think), means the deal has been made but I have not taken delivery. :D.:confused:.. Tom Petty said it best.......:cool: Can't wait to see your car finished.!!

3. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

The Build is back on. I had to take care of some customer project and was just plain worn out! Here is a cheesy mock up for now! I have since found different hub caps for it. The exhaust will be alot higher lake style. The grill will be much tighter they are just propped up for now. I have also straitened out the grill shell since this pic. More pics to come! Doing the sub floor

Attached Files:

4. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

Back at it again. I am continueing with the floor and trunk. I also am trying to configure the steering aswell. I have the mopar box for cowl steering so I have read MOST all the countless threads on that. I also have to build the the trunk floor with fuel cell mounting frame. Rear seat back with a firewall. It is channeled so I have to make room for suspension travel and lowering it more. Which due to the narrow halibrand I already have to ad 1/4 in wheel spacers and I think i still will be pushing it a little at this heigth. I am new to this fab stuff and I love it. I replaced a few things on my welder the ground clamp and the nozel and it made a huge difference. I think I welded all the stray metal I could find LOL
    I had trouble with the trans hump. I am trying to get as much foot room as possible. So it looks like I will have to buy a bender for the sheet metal. i bought that one pre fabbed and it may be to small

Attached Files:

5. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

Been at it just a slow process. I have taken a 55 Olds Dash and narrowed it. Sectioned in the narrowed glove box and I have all the replacement chrome in near perfect condition. I will be carring over the wrap around sides onto the doors.After I replace all the rockers and get the body all set up and the doors close perfectly. I still have alot to do but still at it! I set up the rear coil overs and also setting up the fuel tank in the trunk!

Thanks HAMBERS FOR ALL THE GREAT TECH INFO!!

Attached Files:

6. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

Today I made a shrinker tool from vise grips from a metel shrinking thread on here. What an awesome tool that made it so much easier. I used a eastwood bead roller I should have got the fence may have come out smoother. I am using 18 guage steel. Both rockers and the back panel have to be made due to them being rusted away. Looks like a previous resto that was done very poorly. They just used a thin sheet over the rot and it looks like they didnt bother to cut it out so it kept on rusting.

Attached Files:

7. any updates on the car?

8. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

9. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

This is how I mounted the radiator and the grill shell. I had these 4x4 plates from the steel supply there fence supply section has a bunch of brackets and drilled plates so i started with those. I had some 1x2 steel figured out the angle and made a wedge and welded it together. I cut out the center of a 2x4 piece of steel to make a cradle. I used some tire tread and cut it down and laid it in as a cushion. I used some rubber bushings with the bolts as absorbers. I still have to figure out some rods that go to the firewall. I wont do that untill the intake is on.

Attached Files:

10. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

more pics of how those brackets sit with the rad and shell on it

Attached Files:

11. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

This the base for the fuel tank and battery. I still have to ad more braces and I am making a compartment on the left side like the battery box for stuff or a cooler

Attached Files:

12. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

This is the start of my header mock up. I bought these headers were on a big block chevy the ports are slightly off and of course the angle is going to have to be corrected I purchased Hot Heads Header flanges with two inch extensions so I need to cut down some bends from speedway and start figuring this out. I also bought 2 inch alignment sleeves from hooker for welding the pipes together which will help hold it together while I weld it.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      442.4 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      438.9 KB
      Views:
  13. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

This is the start of mapping out my cut line to chop it. Going to chop it 3 inches

Attached Files:

14. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

looking good fello dodge bro!

15. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

Thanks Dodge Brother

16. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

During the chop

Attached Files:

17. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

more of chop

Attached Files:

18. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

Lots of finish welding to do. Then I have to set up the head light stands and the upper shock mounts, flooring, steering box, finish the headers then take it all apart

19. hallrods

hallrods

Hello,

i HAVE A 1931 DODGE WITH A 331 HEMI NO FENDERS AND A 1934 FORD truck grill. My Dad built it in 1959-60

Attached Files:

20. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

cool ! another Dodge Brother! mines a 29 5w

[​IMG]

21. hallrods

hallrods

Here are a few pictures of the car with a 1934 ford truck grill

Attached Files:

22. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

Very cool Hallrods Thats really awesome to have your Dads old hot rod. He did some really cool stuff to it!

23. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

Nice 29 Mark and Kim looks like we are in the same boat. Got to keep on welding!

24. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

thanks! and your right.....keep on welding

25. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

The chop is finished other then the detail finishing. I hid the taper issue right at the visor looks ok to me. I am a little rough with the grinder. And I figured I at least had grinding mastered by now LOL

Attached Files:

26. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

This is my 40s Pontiac wheel I got it back from Kochs They did a great job still heva to get the Horn ring rechromed

Attached Files:

27. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

This is my sub floor pans I just finished I still have to weld them in. I used 3 unversal battery trays. The back two are for batterys or maybe one for storage. On the left side of the tank I am using one to put mu electric vacuum motor in it

Attached Files:

28. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

This is my 55 olds dash I narrowed and my pontiac wheel in for mock up. It going to look great with all that chrome.

Attached Files:

29. OldBlueOval

OldBlueOval
    from Upstate NY

The car looks great!! I think the chop makes it! keep up the good work! mine still in the holding pattern. Joe

30. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

Amish Quarter Panel Jig! LOL I am sure there was an easier way but this came to mind I traced the driver side and cut it out and flipped it. Then I traced it on a 2x12 then I used my Harbor freight router and a 1/2 bit and cut it out. Then I sanded it and made some adjustments and then i locked down the wood and the sheet metal and hammered my ass off. I still need to hammer some more and smooth it out better. If there is a better idea then i may do it over but so far it seems to work. they dont make Dodge panels so I had to think of something.

Attached Files: