Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1929 RPU on a 32 chassis with a 426 hemi. The Lemon Drop Special History and Resurrection.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Sep 24, 2020.

1. goldmountain

goldmountain

There are more pictures but I am reluctant to scan them because I tend to get an error message so I end up cropping them to avoid this. It has a 4-71 blown small block, dropped beam axle, Ford drum brakes. Basically, everything is different except the body, frame, and deuce grille shell. It is mainly the rear radius rods which suggest this is the same car.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  2. goldmountain

goldmountain

loudbang likes this.
  3. goldmountain

goldmountain

I'll try again. Scan-201116-0003.jpg

Attached Files:

4. Thanks man. I really appreciate it. I'm not 100% sure on it of course. But I think it's a solid lead worth investigating. It would be wild if this thing was a 2 time R&C feature car.

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  5. Grill shell looks to be the same

6. 31Apickup

31Apickup

A lot of similarities, too bad it doesn’t have a shot of the dash, but even from the angle has similar number of gauges.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  7. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

loudbang and teach'm like this.
  8. goldmountain

goldmountain

Missed by thaat much. Here's the Tom Prufer one. Don't really think it is this one though. Scan-201116-0005.jpg

9. Bummer. Well good to know...thanks guys.

It looks like to me someone was building some very similar rpus in Arizona.

10. I'm gonna pull the interior and go over this thing with a fine tooth comb once I get it home.

11. Well it's been a bit, but I finally brought this thing home! I basically didn't have room for it when I bought it, so left it in storage...

Anyways, I either needed to sell a bunch of stuff or get a bigger building. I think you can figure out what I did.
    20210226_094214.jpg
    Bought the backhoe too...truck is not mine...

The first thing I did was go get the Lemon Drop from the previous owner. I was happy to have it and he was happy for some extra space in his container. Here are a few shots I snapped of it.

20210226_194751.jpg

20210226_195322.jpg
    20210226_215403.jpg 20210226_215916.jpg 20210226_222907.jpg

So, what now? Well, first thing, I'm gonna clean it a little bit and get some pictures of the bitching chrome rear-end. Then I'll pull the interior and look for clues of previous builds. I'd like to research the history more too, and from there I am not sure. I'd like to see a 426 in it....But I don't have 426 money.

Attached Files:

Stovebolt, Shadow Creek, OFT and 5 others like this.
  12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Awesome

Hitchhiker and loudbang like this.
  13. Alright, so I haven't really done anything with this thing yet. I have pulled the seat and confirmed Jim Green's ownership with the presenceof a an old business card and old registration and insurance cards.

I'm at a point where I wonder if this thing is historic enough being in R&C in the early 70's and the 50 years of rod and custom book that it deserves to be put back as it was? I'd certainly like to see a 426 back in it. But I'm not that guy... Is it better to put my own motor in this thing, or does it warrant a restoration? Is this car historic at all? It's certainly somewhat of a survivor. I give that credit to the quality of the original build. It's certainly held up very well over time. I don't know. I'm not in love with the car in its current form. But if someone was, it would be a shame for me to change it to suit my tastes. 20210325_215439.jpg

As you can see it's really in pretty good shape despite the missing drive train and cool wheels.

14. I would think the first thing you should do is try and find any history you can on the vehicle, be it magazine features , what have you. Also , try and get a complete build history on the vehicle, that will help you figure out your course of action.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  15. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

So, if no 426Hemi, how's about a lesser mill of the same family n era, that would use the same mountings n trans type that was in it? 426 wedge, 413 wedge, 383 if you have to? Can always hot those up n beautify them later. Someday a 426 hemi will show up, or enough parts to build one. Or a "fake" hemi - a 440 w/the StageV hemi retrofit heads, only a very few would know the difference twixt the StageV n OEM 426. Running, driving, funning/etc 'till the scratch for the heads show up. Nice find n save.
    Marcus...

16. 51 mercules

51 mercules

How about a 1st Gen Hemi!

loudbang likes this.
  17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

X2 that’s just begging for a 57 392.

51 mercules and loudbang like this.