Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1929 RPU on a 32 chassis with a 426 hemi. The Lemon Drop Special History and Resurrection.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Edit:

I kinda buried the lead on this one guys...you may want to scroll down and read the whole thread. The set of pictures I posted are as it sits now. I'm currently moving shops, and not real sure what the plan is for this thing. I just realized it was something special and grabbed it.... Not knowing anything about it. It is very well built. Nicer than anything I build. I'll post more photos when I get it moved into the new place. Through a coincidence I ran across the what I call "magazine picture" without text and knew I was onto something. The rest is all here...

Original post:

Curious if anyone knows anything about this 1929 rpu on 32 frame with a 426 Hemi? I originally posted the picture with no text on Instagram and @J.Ukrop responded with the picture with text. Apparently it is in 50 years of Rod & Custom? And perhaps in the May of 1974 issue of R&C. I'm just trying to track down any history on it. Screenshot_20200924-212658_Instagram.jpg IMG_9670.jpg

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    Blue One, GEBHARD, jim32 and 13 others like this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I likely .

Hitchhiker likes this.
  3. goldmountain

goldmountain

May '74 Rod & Custom. Tried scanning it here but it didn't work.

loudbang and Hitchhiker like this.

4. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

I saw this on another website and the owner removed the hemi said it was to much motor for the street...It was sold to someone in Oregon with a SBC motor in it...I guess the car is still around....

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  5. I am believer there is no such thing as too much motor. That's a weak excuse to replace with a SBC.
    Now back to the regular scheduled program.....

Sent from dumb operator on a smart phone

Blue One, loudbang, alanp561 and 6 others like this.
  6. I would be very interested to see that website or any timeline with that!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Sounds like I better track down a copy. Thanks!

8. Can't argue with that!

loudbang likes this.
  9. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Facebook ...Traditional hotrods of the 1960s was the site...

loudbang and Hitchhiker like this.
  10. Thanks!

I found it!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  11. Please post

loudbang and hemihotrod66 like this.
  12. This is the relevant post

20200925_132521.jpg

13. Try asking Dean Lowe (I hope I got that name right)

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably hidden away with the rest of Jim's stuff if it hasn't been sold off after he passed away. He never seemed to sell his personal toys to my knowledge. I got a few rare uninterrupted minutes of visiting with him and having him tell me about his phaeton at a show a number of years back when the glad handers hadn't found him yet.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  15. I can confirm it was sold after Jim's passing....unfortunately he's not around to ask any questions...

as it sits now the 29 is currently engine less...trying to figure out if I need to put a hemi back in, or do what ever I please with it...

IMG_5114.jpg IMG_5116.jpg IMG_5113.jpg IMG_5112.jpg IMG_5117.jpg IMG_5111.jpg IMG_5107.jpg IMG_5109.jpg IMG_5110.jpg IMG_5119.jpg

16. dirrty

dirrty

In 1975 I was working at the Mesa airport, I opened a small one plane hangar to inspect an airplane for a customer. These "T" hangars were open in the middle and you could see others on the other side. There sat this PU with the Hemi. I inquired as to who owned it, was told it was Mr. Harrel, owner of the Cessna dealership there, he said not for sale. It was moved not much after that and never knew what happened to it. Now I know. Small world. He was a hot rod guy and always had nice cars, had a nice custom early Merc too as I remember.

stanlow69, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. 31Apickup

31Apickup

While a 426 hemi would be cool and correct if you want to put it back to its 1974 guise, just about anything would fit in there. Early hemi would be cool or a dressed up fe motor, olds, nailhead. Just get it back on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, Hitchhiker and ClarkH like this.
  18. Do you know if he built it? Or who did it for him?

loudbang likes this.
  19. Also if anyone recognizes the brakes. I don't have calipers.

20. 31Apickup

31Apickup

It was called the Lemondrop Special in sept 73 issue of Rod Action magazine. Says the front brakes are Airheart. Gotta get yourself a tophat like Charles had.[​IMG]

21. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Oh yeah, I have an extra copy of that issue, it’s yours if you want it.

22. adam401

adam401

You know what you need to do. The hot rod gods want a hemi

23. That thing is ( . )( . )

IronFord, brEad, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  24. DAMN!!!!! You OWN it now?!?! So cool

25. Dude, seriously? I would definitely take you up on that! thanks so much!

OFT, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  26. Yeah... I kinda buried the lead on that one. Haha. but yeah, it's mine!

ClarkH, Tman, kidcampbell71 and 2 others like this.
  27. I think about the only thing cooler than a 426 hemi would be a Cammer...

28. dirrty

dirrty

I did not know him real well, but he always had nice cars and changed them often. I think he just bought and sold them and didn't keep any very long. I don't think he had any built, but I could be wrong. Boy, had to set the "way back machine" to remember all that. Hope you enjoy your new toy. Another Hemi would work just fine.

stanlow69, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.