Register now to get rid of these ads!

1929 model A sedan suspension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rimwrecker, Jun 10, 2012.

1. rimwrecker

rimwrecker
    from santa cruz

Starting the build on my 29, I'm thinking of doing a transverse leaf in the rear along with coilovers to get a bit of both worlds: traditional look with a better ride and was looking for input

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Use one or the other IMO, not both together. I think it would ride like solid suspension, even coilovers alone that are too stiff will ride harshly.

In some cases it is best to not to try to reinvent the wheel. :)

Don

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One, or the other. If traditional is the goal, get a NEW leaf spring, and some high-quality shocks, like Bilsteins. They have chrome ones, covered, and non-covered, and the stickers peel right off. Spendy, but WELL worth it.

4. Do you wear a belt & suspenders?
    Decide on your requirements and pick one solution.

5. The leaf spring will give you a fine ride if you remove a few leaves and install some teflon spring liner between the remaining leaves. My spring was originally 10 leaves and designed for rough roads with a flexible frame. I now have five leaves and a rigid frame. Also some regular tube shocks mounted at about a 20 degree angle.