Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1929 Ford Tudor project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by clips221, Sep 19, 2021.

1. clips221

clips221

I picked up a 29 Ford Tudor to piddle with. It's all steel body sitting on a supposedly SO-CAL rolling chassis, fresh built 355 and 350 turbo. I did get the engine fired up last week. The car came with a Rebel wiring harness, aluminum radiator, cooling fan and all the glass. I'm not gonna run the running boards or fenders (available if anyone needs these). Planning on chopping the top 3", and I'm guessing the section to be removed will be under the windshield studs that hold the windshield when pivited out.
    Looks like the body is mounted on the frame in just 3 locations on each side? the back of the car from the rear end back isn't bolted or supported anywhere?
    Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Attached Files:

GordonC likes this.
  2. bobd1976

bobd1976
    from Illinois

My thought is to keep the fenders and running boards. Other than that it looks like a great project!

harpo1313 and Hamtown Al like this.
  3. Lost in the Fifties

Lost in the Fifties

Originally, the rear of the body was supported by the bumper brackets. If it needs more support, you might fabricate something. And, the 32 shell needs chopping or lowering. (Just my opinion.)

osage orange likes this.
  4. If it was mine, I'd blow it completely apart, sandblast everything, and start inspecting. I'd start with the frame and suspension and see if it was up to my quality standards. After re-doing all that, I'd chop the top then send everything to my body guy for a spit and polish. Swap out the rearend with a QC. Fit and size the 32 grille, add hood sides, while keeping the fenders and running boards. That would keep me amused for a couple months

Looks like you got a a good base. Congrats.

5. clips221

clips221

don't reckon I've paid any attention to the 32 grill shells being chopped or lowered. would love to see some pictures of this.

6. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Vote for fender's... Think This, from a thread here.. A8256A05-BB37-4AF2-9BB1-ADEE3CB031C4.jpeg

54reno, Nobey, osage orange and 2 others like this.
  7. goldmountain

goldmountain

I agree with the keep the fenders crowd.

osage orange likes this.
  8. Another independent vote for fenders. 28/29 front fenders are just so perfect...

9. Best looking fenders Ford ever stamped!

'28phonebooth, Just Gary and Nobey like this.