Register now to get rid of these ads!

1929 ford hood with louvers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BillyBobsSpeedShop, Feb 26, 2012.

1. BillyBobsSpeedShop

BillyBobsSpeedShop

I am wanting to get my hood top lovered for my 1929 ford coupe. I am going to take it to a guy this week to get it done. I was wondering when I get the hood louvered will it distort the the shape of the hood or warp it in any way? Ive never had anything louvered and have allready mocked the hood on the car and got all the gaps fit well and was just wondering.

Thanks
    Billy

2. Have you thought about a 3 piece hood. Just a thought.

3. BillyBobsSpeedShop

BillyBobsSpeedShop

I like the look of a stock hinge ona model a hood, just running the top of the hood no sides.

4. BillyBobsSpeedShop

BillyBobsSpeedShop

anyone have any more info?

5. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

If the metal is bare, no paint, and if the louver company die is sharp, it should not distort the hood. Of course this assumes you want louvers on the flat area, not on the side where it rolls. We have done some hoods that were a little wavy to start and the louver pattern has stiffened and straighted the surface. I assume your hood is a stock steel one? The gauge of the metal is a factor. I remember one old guy who got pissed at us because we told him we couldn't louver the 3/16" aluminum diamond plate cover he had made for the generator box on his motor home. A model A hood top is a fairly easy piece to louver, compared to, let's say, a '32 deck lid that is compound curve both ways.

6. BillyBobsSpeedShop

BillyBobsSpeedShop

Thanks for the info it is a new hood with no paint.